Sponsored

Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful?

ORACLE Terry

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, RAM TRX, Gladiator, Wrangler JL,
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have used recovery boards with success. They might not be the absolute best recovery tool out there, but they are quite possibly the easiest and simplest. If you want to have peace of mind in the mud or snow, then it doesn't hurt to have them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
These look nice with the jack base. At least there is a 2nd use for taking up space.

1704286149485.png
This is something I've seen quite often in review videos for traction boards. The inexpensive, more firm boards with less flex seem to work better as jacking points in soft dirt or sand.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have the Ford orange ones, never used them and only take them if its super muddy out. I also I have a boat load of recovery gear that I have never used, but I have it because the one time you don't have it, you might need it. I have a mount setup to my tire strap that holds my boards and a 3 gallon gas rotopax.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have read an insane amount of debate on this topic on forums. I've seen many YouTube videos of people reviewing them and using them to free Tacomas, 4Runners, and Wranglers. At the same time, I see people saying they weren't really stuck or just digging and shoving a couple rocks down there is all they needed to do.

I am a novice and it's difficult to know if these are worth investing in, and to what degree, ex: X-Bull / Bunker / Maxsa vs Maxtrax / Actiontrax / ARB Tred Pro. My understanding is the latter are good for many uses while the prior are good for a couple uses.

Have people here actually gotten stuck with the Bronco and used recovery boards to get out of:
  • Snow
  • Mud
  • Sand
Could you post any pics/videos?

I apologize if this question seems mildly repetitive. It feels like this topic ends up a bit circular so I'm hoping to avoid that with some evidence.
yes
iv used them numerous times in numerous way not just the obvious ways noted

Boss Broncos

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boss4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sasquatch 2DR; '78 FJ40; '85 T4R
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/big-green-badlands-build.64818/post-1868395

They don't take up a lot of space, they are secure and out of the sun. The one time I used them they didn't work but I'm not experienced enough to know if it was the boards or me.

875e6eb8-35d4-4c15-9902-e7ee49bdefb4-jpeg-jpg.jpg
We've sold the Exitrax brand since they were introduced in the US. We previously sold the TREDs before ARB took them over. The TREDs had numerous warranty issues except with the PROs, which are nice! The Exitrax have been durable and I haven't helped with any warranty claims!

I personally carry the smaller 930s too purely due to size. They fit nicely inside my 2 door. However the Ultimate Exitrax are by far the most popular due to having the optional link/jack base accessory. Leashes are included as well. They've been unavailable for months after cutting ties with their US Distributor, so we are importing them directly from Australia. We have 4 pallets currently on the water due in about a month.

I've never had to use them and just recently installed a winch. But it's a good option for those travelling alone to remote places, and especially useful in sand, mud, and snow. However they shouldn't be the only tool in your recovery kit! Make sure you have a good snatch strap, shackle, shovel, and even a snatch block. Also, airing down your tires helps a lot too! Carry a small compressor as well as a tire repair kit too. Hi-Lift Jacks are also a great recovery tool.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We've sold the Exitrax brand since they were introduced in the US. We previously sold the TREDs before ARB took them over. The TREDs had numerous warranty issues except with the PROs, which are nice! The Exitrax have been durable and I haven't helped with any warranty claims!

I personally carry the smaller 930s too purely do to size. They fit nicely inside my 2 door. However the Ultimate Exitrax are by far the most popular due to having the optional link/jack base accessory. Leashes are included as well. They've been unavailable for months after cutting ties with their US Distributor, so we are importing them directly from Australia. We have 4 pallets currently on the water due in about a month.

I've never had to use them and just recently installed a winch. But it's a good option for those travelling alone to remote places, and especially useful in sand, mud, and snow. However they shouldn't be the only tool in your recovery kit! Make sure you have a good snatch strap, shackle, shovel, and sven a snatch block. Also, airing down your tires helps a lot too! Carry a small compressor as well as a tire repair kit too. Hi-Lift Jacks are also a great recovery tool.
That sucks that they cut ties with their US distributor. That explains why they've all but vanished.

Do you have more of the storage bags and links coming too?

Boss Broncos

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boss4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sasquatch 2DR; '78 FJ40; '85 T4R
Your Bronco Model
Base
That sucks that they cut ties with their US distributor. That explains why they've all but vanished.

Do you have more of the storage bags and links coming too?
Yes, everything! 3 of the 4 pallets are just Exitrax boards. Some new colors too! One pallet is all the accessories including mounts, links and bags, as well as Mean Mother recovery gear. New products include soft shackles and these deflators.

MM9-TD01-2.jpg

We have already pre-sold about 50 sets of Exitrax! They are a great product for the price so we are glad we were able to work with them directly and get them back to the US!

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, everything! 3 of the 4 pallets are just Exitrax boards. Some new colors too! One pallet is all the accessories including mounts, links and bags, as well as Mean Mother recovery gear. New products include soft shackles and these deflators.

Ford Bronco Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful? MM9-TD01-2

We have already pre-sold about 50 sets of Exitrax! They are a great product for the price so we are glad we were able to work with them directly and get them back to the US!
New colors of the Ultimate aside from black and grey?

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never had to use them and just recently installed a winch. But it's a good option for those travelling alone to remote places, and especially useful in sand, mud, and snow. However they shouldn't be the only tool in your recovery kit! Make sure you have a good snatch strap, shackle, shovel, and sven a snatch block. Also, airing down your tires helps a lot too! Carry a small compressor as well as a tire repair kit too. Hi-Lift Jacks are also a great recovery tool.
SesquatenarianSasquatch's Law: The more recovery gear you carry, the less likely you will ever need it.

OP
OP
Haelous

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
SesquatenarianSasquatch's Law: The more recovery gear you carry, the less likely you will ever need it.
All I have to do is load my Bronco up with crap and I'll never get stuck, problem solved!

Sponsored

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're damned useful on the beach and in snow. A shovel doesn't always help, especially if you've gotten through sand on the beach and down into marsh mud. You don't always have something to winch to.

I see them as a tool, and their usefulness is not a yes/no answer. Depending on how you wheel they could be useless to essential. I don't take them in the summer, however they are so useful for snow. Often times there is not a winch point close enough, or in the direction you want to go. I even carry an 80' winch line extension for snow wheeling now.

I find them most useful in soft snow when you break thru. I dig down to place them at or below the wheel level so the tires drop onto them and use them as a runway to gain momentum to get back on top of the surface. It's a lot of work so they are generally my lest favorite but sometimes only option.

Given the cost and space I would not be in a rush to get them if your new.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ā€œMatt from Matt's Off-Road Recovery says that if you can get yourself out with a recovery board you weren't really stuck LOL. Not sure if that's an absolute truth, but I've been in a spot or two where they might have been handy. Not often enough to lug those damned things around everywhereā€

Think I d spend money on winch and tire chains first ā€¦ for years thatā€™s what guys used. A shovel, gloves ( to gather brush, rocks, etc) were the recovery boards of old. Everyoneā€™s money thus do what you feel best about.

(The Boards do look cool when Mall Crawling though ā€¦)šŸ˜œ

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like most (all?) of my recovery gear I carry mine as insurance more than anything as I like to get way out and away from people. That was also the catalyst to design the mounting brackets that I carry on my website - it keeps all of that gear tucked so far out of the way to the point where I forget I'm even carrying it anymore.

I used my ARB boards on the river bank to help these guys that lost their transfer case. I wouldn't say it was exclusively the boards that got them out, but a combination of available resources that got them out - traction boards included.
Ford Bronco Are Recovery / Traction Boards Actually Useful? TBB

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like others have said, they are nice to have - especially if you fancy going out by yourself. Yes, a winch will usually work better and you should have both if going out alone anyways, but if I donā€™t HAVE to unspool my winch I donā€™t want toā€¦ donā€™t want to hassle with cleaning it and re-tensioning it all the time for small stuff a board might get me out of. If riding with others, the tow rope is usually easier too. There are times the board is the right tool for the job. Would a 2x6 work just as well a lot of THOSE times? Probably. But itā€™s nice to carry around something that can be mounted seamlessly and looks good on the vehicle, out of the way when they arenā€™t being used 99% of the time lol
Sponsored