First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have a 2022 Outer Banks (2.7L) and when its a hot day, the A/C starts blowing cold, but keeps cycling between blowing hot and cold air. When it blows hot, it only does so for a short time (less than a minute, sometimes a few seconds) but enough to be uncomfortable. On longer drives, the hot air spurts become rarer so the Bronco can reach thermostat temp. This seems to only happen on hot summer days.

Saw that others were having similar issues, so I took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the problem of course (unsure if the checked FDRS). Maybe it just wasn't a hot enough day.

I have seen other posts with similar (but not exact) problem and they said to check FDRS of course but also inside temp sensor wiring, possible faulty pressure transducer or faulty evaporator core sensor.

But since the dealer could not reproduce this problem, does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong? or how to get them to reproduce problem?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Have a 2022 Outer Banks (2.7L) and when its a hot day, the A/C starts blowing cold, but keeps cycling between blowing hot and cold air. When it blows hot, it only does so for a short time (less than a minute, sometimes a few seconds) but enough to be uncomfortable. On longer drives, the hot air spurts become rarer so the Bronco can reach thermostat temp. This seems to only happen on hot summer days.

Saw that others were having similar issues, so I took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the problem of course (unsure if the checked FDRS). Maybe it just wasn't a hot enough day.

I have seen other posts with similar (but not exact) problem and they said to check FDRS of course but also inside temp sensor wiring, possible faulty pressure transducer or faulty evaporator core sensor.

But since the dealer could not reproduce this problem, does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong? or how to get them to reproduce problem?
Hi Joe! I can look into your Bronco's AC concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have a ProCal4? Use it to find the code, what I did. It's probably a switch

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to clarify, when it blows hot, the volume of air coming from the vents doesn't change, it just starts putting out hot air for a short time then back to cold again, correct? Intermittent issues like this that are dependent on high or low ambient temps, can be a PITA to diagnose.

We've had vehicles with evaporators that freeze up but those usually happen gradually, lose air volume and take awhile to defrost before it starts blowing cool air at the same volume. You're probably aware of the fresh air cycle that happens every so often which can make the air feel less cool however it doesn't just go flat out hot.

Couple things the dealer could do is check high and low pressures to check for restrictions as well as recover all of the freon to see if has the correct charge, over charged or undercharged. Undercharged generally means you have a small leak somewhere and require further investigation. Could've also been undercharged from the factory but that would've shown up well before now. Since this has ATC, there could be an issue with one of the temp sensors.
Sponsored