Sponsored

Early Bronco Needed, Not Another late Bronco SUV

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
The throw back to the original body design is perfect. Just add a sunroof, lighted roof top visor, factory side steps/sliders, roof rack, and trail lights. That's how I want it. That and all of the super cool interior styling...
..also, keep the I.F.S., but lift it 4" dammit.
Yo, P II:
Whattizza "lighted roof top visor"? Do you have lighted sunroof visors on the roof of your '90 Bronco or on the roof of your spouse's '04 Civic?

If a sunroof is optional, then it is OK--but a removable roof > a sunroof. However, how hard would it be for Ford to install optional sunroofs within a removable roof?

Sliders are OK--but again this is something that should be optional so that side exhausts or chassis-mounted rollcages do not encounter fitment issues because of the sliders. The steps MUST be optional--they either hang down and reduce ground clearance or they fold up underneath the body where they reduce ground clearance AND can cause side exhaust/rollcage fitment issues.

Brilliantly-designed IFS (usually involving moving the engine well back on the frame...) might not reduce front wheel travel in a Trophy Truck--but IFS almost always reduces front wheel travel in everything else...Overall, solid axles front-and-back vehicles outperform IFS vehicles regardless of whatever axles are in the back of the IFS vehicles. Even a Raptor has only 12'--13" of independent front wheel travel, IIRC. Stick with the combo that made the original Bronco a legend--just make that solid front axle, suspension, and steering of stronger materials than those early Danas. "Hi9" front-&-rear high-pinion 9" diffs with air lockers and 35-spline axles are fabulous axles if you can afford 'em. Sell your spouse's Civic and get a set of 'em!

Roof racks, trail lights, and "super cool interior styling" are great options (the very first Mustangs were immense successes--1,350,00+ units sold by the Mustang's second anniversary on 4/17/1966--partly because the basic Mustang was sparsely equipped but had an optional equipment list longer than a list of China's registered voters.

Lifts: No matter what amount of lift you select, someone will say "It's not enough!" and someone else will say "It's too much!". Barroom brawls have started over issues far less controversial than off-road vehicle lift.
There are reasons that the off-road aftermarket is huge. I don't know what lift, if any, that Ford provides in the Raptor, but whatever that amount of lift is should be standard in the new Bronco. Go with what is a proven champion--I would NEVER pit any stock Bronco of any year head-to-head with a Raptor and expect to see any outcome other than a Bronco getting its ass whipped bigtime. If the new Bronco comes stock with the awesome off-road capabilities of the Raptor, Ford will have a world-beater! Think what a platform that would be as your starting point for a monster build-up! Whoa!
Sponsored

Wayfarer1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco, 2000 Chevy Express 2500 van, 2000 Mercedies G300 SWB
The last time Ford built a Bronco using the Ranger platform it was a disaster Bronco II were real pieces of junk. Being a person who makes a living in the field working out of a field truck and has owned both 1970" and 1990's versions I would hands down prefer Ford build the Bronco off the F150 platform or on is own platform.

Wayfarer1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yo, P II:
Whattizza "lighted roof top visor"? Do you have lighted sunroof visors on the roof of your '90 Bronco or on the roof of your spouse's '04 Civic?

If a sunroof is optional, then it is OK--but a removable roof > a sunroof. However, how hard would it be for Ford to install optional sunroofs within a removable roof?

Sliders are OK--but again this is something that should be optional so that side exhausts or chassis-mounted rollcages do not encounter fitment issues because of the sliders. The steps MUST be optional--they either hang down and reduce ground clearance or they fold up underneath the body where they reduce ground clearance AND can cause side exhaust/rollcage fitment issues.

Brilliantly-designed IFS (usually involving moving the engine well back on the frame...) might not reduce front wheel travel in a Trophy Truck--but IFS almost always reduces front wheel travel in everything else...Overall, solid axles front-and-back vehicles outperform IFS vehicles regardless of whatever axles are in the back of the IFS vehicles. Even a Raptor has only 12'--13" of independent front wheel travel, IIRC. Stick with the combo that made the original Bronco a legend--just make that solid front axle, suspension, and steering of stronger materials than those early Danas. "Hi9" front-&-rear high-pinion 9" diffs with air lockers and 35-spline axles are fabulous axles if you can afford 'em. Sell your spouse's Civic and get a set of 'em!

Roof racks, trail lights, and "super cool interior styling" are great options (the very first Mustangs were immense successes--1,350,00+ units sold by the Mustang's second anniversary on 4/17/1966--partly because the basic Mustang was sparsely equipped but had an optional equipment list longer than a list of China's registered voters.

Lifts: No matter what amount of lift you select, someone will say "It's not enough!" and someone else will say "It's too much!". Barroom brawls have started over issues far less controversial than off-road vehicle lift.
There are reasons that the off-road aftermarket is huge. I don't know what lift, if any, that Ford provides in the Raptor, but whatever that amount of lift is should be standard in the new Bronco. Go with what is a proven champion--I would NEVER pit any stock Bronco of any year head-to-head with a Raptor and expect to see any outcome other than a Bronco getting its ass whipped bigtime. If the new Bronco comes stock with the awesome off-road capabilities of the Raptor, Ford will have a world-beater! Think what a platform that would be as your starting point for a monster build-up! Whoa!
Yo, P II:

Wayfarer1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to point out the Ford Raptor was designed to be a factory trophy truck look alike not a rock/trail crawler. The wheel base of a Raptor makes them worthless on jeep trails and that is where I believe Ford is looking for the Bronco to fill that slot. Even with my big bronco "which is stock" I have no problem walking away from the Raptors and full sizes pickups when I get into switch backs and off camber situations. they are simply too big and too long to maneuver in tight situations.
Sponsored