Sponsored

2020/2021 Ford Bronco Officially Confirmed!! Returns in 2020 as Global, Rugged, Midsize SUV

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Get ready folks... After years of rumor and last year which saw strong hints of the Ford Bronco in the UAW Agreement and statements from UAW Chairman, Ford has OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED that it is bringing back the Ford Bronco in 2020!!

The 2020/2021 Ford Bronco will be a rugged midsize SUV built at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant and will be offered as a global vehicle. Ford also plans to bring back the Ford Ranger midsize pickup truck that will be reintroduced in North America in 2019.

“We’ve heard our customers loud and clear. They want a new generation of vehicles that are incredibly capable yet fun to drive,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas.

"Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city... Ranger is for truck buyers who want an affordable, functional, rugged and maneuverable pickup that’s Built Ford Tough."

Here is the official press release and video of the announcement at the Joe Louis Arena at the 2017 NAIAS.

FORD REVEALS NEW F-150; BRONCO IS BACK; ALL-NEW RANGER COMING TO NORTH AMERICA; COMPANY PRESENTS VISION FOR CITY OF TOMORROW
  • Ford reveals new, even tougher, smarter and more capable F-150, featuring segment-first technology, including Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection and Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go, embedded 4G LTE modem, SYNC 3 and B&O PLAY audio
  • All-new Ford Ranger midsize pickup truck will be reintroduced to the North American market in 2019
  • Rugged all-new Ford Bronco midsize SUV returns in 2020 as a global vehicle; both Bronco and Ranger to be built at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant
  • Ford-owned Chariot – the app-based, ride sharing service in San Francisco and Austin, Texas – will expand this year to eight cities, including at least one global city
  • Ford presents a vision for the “City of Tomorrow” to inspire innovation and assist cities in solving mobility challenges to help people move more easily today and in the future
Ford NAIAS 2017: Official Press Conference Livestream

DETROIT, Jan. 9, 2017 – Ford’s expansion to an auto and mobility company gains momentum today, as the company unveils the new F-150 pickup, announces the return of the Ranger pickup in North America and Bronco globally, and presents its vision for the “City of Tomorrow.”

Ford’s news at the North American International Auto Show – including expansion of its Chariot ride-sharing service to eight cities – underscores the company’s drive to strengthen its core automotive business while aggressively expanding in growing mobility services.

“This year, the expansion of our business as an auto and mobility company moves into even higher gear,” said Mark Fields, president and CEO. “We’re introducing even more new vehicles and technologies to make life better for millions of people in the near term, plus we’re presenting a vision and partnering with cities to move more people even more efficiently in the future.”

Today’s news follows other announcements about Ford’s business expansion:

Ranger and Bronco Return
Ford is bringing back the Ranger midsize pickup truck to its North American vehicle lineup in 2019 and Bronco midsize SUV to its global vehicle portfolio in 2020. Both vehicles will be manufactured at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan.

“We’ve heard our customers loud and clear. They want a new generation of vehicles that are incredibly capable yet fun to drive,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas. “Ranger is for truck buyers who want an affordable, functional, rugged and maneuverable pickup that’s Built Ford Tough. Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city.”

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../09/f-150-bronco-ranger-city-of-tomorrow.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tommmay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Countryman
Good to finally hear it from Ford's mouth!! 2020 can't arrive soon enough... but still quite a wait ahead. Hope Ford is good at teasing us for 3 years :)

Wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Acura TL
Hope they give us diesel Bronco option too. The one they just announced for the F-150 at the same press conference would do.

fourbyfour

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm loving the "no-compromise" language and i hope they mean it and not just marketing talk. They've already got SUV's to serve the mall crawlers, now give us a true off road capable and fully modifiable Bronco please.

Sounds like it'll start production in 2020? As a 2021 model year then?

SW Mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome to finally get confirmation!!

They still sell the Ranger (and Everest which shares its platform) in a lot of countries outside the U.S. and they actually just refreshed it for the 2015MY, so its interesting the new one will be America only and Bronco will be sold globally.

Edit - nevermind I read it wrong. I think the Ranger will still be global, they are just adding North America in 2019.

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hah I've got a search for Ford Bronco active on my twitter feed and it's blowing up, literally several tweets per second mentioning it. And all the big general news outlets reporting on it (CNN, Foxnews, etc.). This is HUGE news even if we enthusiasts already knew it ;)

Coming out in 2020 will give Ford PLENTY of time to process the new Wrangler which is being introduced later this year. They'll basically have 2-3 years after the Wrangler's release to engineer the Bronco to not only match it but improve on it.

Edit - nevermind I read it wrong. I think the Ranger will still be global, they are just adding North America in 2019.
Yea it's just making a comeback to the US. But in a new form.

39Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor, Mustangs - too many to list
Ford needs to get 3 things in my opinion right or it'll be a colossal failure. Size is the biggest issue and even though I prefer the big Bronco it needs to be similar to the JK and if the Bronco6g rendering is close build that. Second, engine and we Americans want a V8 as an option as the Bronco always had one and considering the backlash Ford has gotten over the Eco-boost only Raptor then they'd be crazy to say no the Eco-boost is your only performance option. Third, its got to have a removable top like the JK if you want to compete for Jeep sales. As for engines my personal opinion I would like to see 3 available for the new Bronco with the 5.0 Coyote being the V8 option and if you want a 'Raptor' aka Parnelli Jones edition Bronco then you need the 5.0, the Eco-boost as the V6 option, and a Diesel option because demand would be high and considering the Jeep JK sometime in 2017 is getting a Diesel those JK's will sell faster then they can order them.

Wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Acura TL
Ford needs to get 3 things in my opinion right or it'll be a colossal failure. Size is the biggest issue and even though I prefer the big Bronco it needs to be similar to the JK and if the Bronco6g rendering is close build that. Second, engine and we Americans want a V8 as an option as the Bronco always had one and considering the backlash Ford has gotten over the Eco-boost only Raptor then they'd be crazy to say no the Eco-boost is your only performance option. Third, its got to have a removable top like the JK if you want to compete for Jeep sales. As for engines my personal opinion I would like to see 3 available for the new Bronco with the 5.0 Coyote being the V8 option and if you want a 'Raptor' aka Parnelli Jones edition Bronco then you need the 5.0, the Eco-boost as the V6 option, and a Diesel option because demand would be high and considering the Jeep JK sometime in 2017 is getting a Diesel those JK's will sell faster then they can order them.
If they are going after the JK I dont think we will see a V8. Big HP is not something Ford (or a typical Bronco buyer) will care much about with the Bronco so I think they will find a way to do without it. Heck they are already pushing the "V8 power and more low end torque" upcoming hybrid for the Mustang so you know the V8 is getting squeezed.

Maybe in a low volume Raptor Bronco but definitely not the regular ones. I agree it needs a diesel and base V6. I'm sure they will put at least one Ecoboost engine in it (2.3 or 2.7 probably) to appease the EPA.

Lifted Fords

Threads
Reaction score
I agree.
This is what I would like to see 3 engine choices eco boost, 5.0, and a diesel. But they are doing away with v8s so the 5.0 may not happen but I rather have the diesel anyway. Make it like the Bronco 6g rendering and not a full size, even though I have a 96 FSB, must have full removable top and a soft top option would be nice, and must have solid axles. Factory lockers would be a nice option too. I also think it would be cool if they did something like the fox coilovers from the Raptor on all 4 corners but I know that's a long shot.

Time to start saving my pennies.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
I'm glad to read of this. I was saving up for a full rebuild of my '66 289 Bronco but this gives me pause. But only pause: I like my pre-emissions Bronco--and no nasty turn signals on the sides, either! The 9" is great, the fold-down windshield is great, and the removable front windows are great. The 4-wheel-drums aren't, the three-on-the-tree isn't, and the front Dana has never left me walking out--but I've never leaned hard on that front axle, either...

A 2020/2021 new Bronco could solve a lot of these problems with little effort (yet lots of moolah), but then I'd have an emissions engine, side turn signals, and lesser differentials & axles...

Decisions. Decisions. Everything on my Bronco is 50 years old except for the oversized gas tank, the tube bumpers, and the floor-shift conversion. I'm sticking with the '66 unless this new Bronco is stunning and absolutely NAILS IT!

What say ye?

Oh--re-reading the article I find that the new Bronco will be built in Michigan as a "global vehicle", which means there may be too many compromises/cost-savings to be the really rugged, bullet-proof vehicle you and I want to see. I'd pay a lot for front-&-rear air lockers but I'm not sure a Brazilian or a Thai or a Filipino would be willing to do that. "Global vehicle" conjures up visions of small wheels, narrow tires, and a high, narrow body--mostly with four doors...Rugged, yes. Desirable? Not so much...Good-looking? Rarely.

Why, why, why did Ford sell Land Rover???? What were they thinking??? Together, they coulda built the most astonishing off-road vehicle on Earth...

Last edited:

Sponsored
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree on the vehicle size and removable top as "must have's" for the new Bronco. While I would love to see a V8 option, I do not see it happening in anything but a Raptor version and maybe not even then. Let's face it, Ford has embraced the small displacement turbo movement in a big way. Engine choices will likely be a diesel and a variety of EcoBoost V6 engines. Would love a V8 if Ford makes it available.

Tour18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4, Porsche 993tt, Vette GS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No Breverest for me. Period. Give us a Bronco as the fantastic renders posted right here on this forum, or I won't give it any more attention than a Korean snowflake.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
OK, Ford, make me cash in my life insurance and withdraw the balances in my IRAs by offering this:
1. Body-On-Frame
2. Two doors with removable windows
3. Removable roof with a liftback
4. 5-speed manual driving a dual-range transfer case
5. Solid axles front and rear
6. Front & rear 9" differentials (with pinion shaft bearings at each end and integral pumps to force-lube those bearings) on more rugged axle housings (I've bent mine too often)
7. Front & rear lockers that are manually engaged/disengaged--ARB Air Lockers would be my recommendation
8. All steel locking hubs--standard on the front axle, optional on the rear axle (for flat towing)
9. Sealed runs-all-day-while-submerged wiring--ignition, lights, winches, audio, whatever
10. Heater(s) for the front passengers and for the rear passengers--but not heated via the engine coolant
11. 16" forged wheels. Legal bead-lock 16" forged wheels optional
12. The largest four wheel disk brakes that will fit into the wheels, with ABS that has a "Disengaged" setting
13. Full under-body skid plate(s)
14. Tube bumpers front-&-rear: Brushed stainless, black-finished stainless, or body-color stainless. Fuck rust.
15. Two tow hoops up front and two tow hoops back in the rear
16. Winch plates front-&-rear, with wiring and control cable connections. Mounting holes for popular winches. Winches are a personal thing--upon which few agree. Let 'em supply their own
17. Engines. Ford has a lot of great ones, so make the engine compartment BIG. Vehicle gross weight will likely be pretty high if the vehicle has a lot of cross-members, plenty of gusseting, and HD transmissions, HD transfer cases, HD driveshafts, HD universal joints, HD differentials, HD axles, HD brakes, yada yada yada so torque and horsepower needs to be abundant. The 3.5 V6 is solid (We have one in our Flex), and the EcoBoost version should be an option. I want the F-150 Coyote 5.0 myself.
A diesel has been requested by several who posted upstream in this thread. I've no objection--but take the realistic view that a Bronco with solid off-road abilities as delivered won't be cheap. Maybe less $$ than a Raptor, but not by much. Will the price of the Bronco plus the likely optional cost of whatever diesel may be offered sell enough units to make it viable? I can't predict how many Broncos will sell with the three likely engines (the 3.5 V6, the EcoBoost 3.5 V6, and the truck 5.0 V8) so I cannot offer any insight as to what those with vehicle marketing knowledge might project for sales of diesel Broncos. I hope it's available for those who would buy it.
18. Options: No doubt air conditioning will be number one and audio hardware of some kind will probably be number two (just a rugged CD player and a waterproof weather radio is all I need). Ring-&-pinion sets would be big with me, as would Air Lockers, optional fuel tanks so you don't hafta carry so many jerry cans of fuel, powerful lighting, at least a rollbar or two (a frame-mounted full-cage is something I would always pay extra for), engine compartment lighting, underbody lighting--not the nasty colored neons but service lighting to see universal joints, steering linkage, and trailer hitch apparatus at night, and a number of other things I'll hafta add when I have time.

Last edited:

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
still waiting for Ford bronco...look at all these dead early forum members above me đź’€
Sponsored