2020/2021 Ford Bronco Officially Confirmed!! Returns in 2020 as Global, Rugged, Midsize SUV

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

#1 Administrator, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

Get ready folks... After years of rumor and last year which saw strong hints of the Ford Bronco in the UAW Agreement and statements from UAW Chairman, Ford has OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED that it is bringing back the Ford Bronco in 2020!!

The 2020/2021 Ford Bronco will be a rugged midsize SUV built at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant and will be offered as a global vehicle. Ford also plans to bring back the Ford Ranger midsize pickup truck that will be reintroduced in North America in 2019.

“We’ve heard our customers loud and clear. They want a new generation of vehicles that are incredibly capable yet fun to drive,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas.

"Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city... Ranger is for truck buyers who want an affordable, functional, rugged and maneuverable pickup that’s Built Ford Tough."

Here is the official press release and video of the announcement at the Joe Louis Arena at the 2017 NAIAS.

Tommmay likes this.
  2. Tommmay

Tommmay Member

Car(s):
    MINI Countryman
    Good to finally hear it from Ford's mouth!! 2020 can't arrive soon enough... but still quite a wait ahead. Hope Ford is good at teasing us for 3 years :)

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Car(s):
    13 Acura TL
    Hope they give us diesel Bronco option too. The one they just announced for the F-150 at the same press conference would do.

4. fourbyfour

fourbyfour Member

Car(s):
    Nissan Armada
    I'm loving the "no-compromise" language and i hope they mean it and not just marketing talk. They've already got SUV's to serve the mall crawlers, now give us a true off road capable and fully modifiable Bronco please.

Sounds like it'll start production in 2020? As a 2021 model year then?

5. SW Mikey

SW Mikey Member

Car(s):
    '13 Ford Explorer Sport
    Awesome to finally get confirmation!!

They still sell the Ranger (and Everest which shares its platform) in a lot of countries outside the U.S. and they actually just refreshed it for the 2015MY, so its interesting the new one will be America only and Bronco will be sold globally.

Edit - nevermind I read it wrong. I think the Ranger will still be global, they are just adding North America in 2019.

6. Mustang313

Mustang313 Active Member

Car(s):
    Mustang GT (s197)
    Hah I've got a search for Ford Bronco active on my twitter feed and it's blowing up, literally several tweets per second mentioning it. And all the big general news outlets reporting on it (CNN, Foxnews, etc.). This is HUGE news even if we enthusiasts already knew it ;)

Coming out in 2020 will give Ford PLENTY of time to process the new Wrangler which is being introduced later this year. They'll basically have 2-3 years after the Wrangler's release to engineer the Bronco to not only match it but improve on it.

Yea it's just making a comeback to the US. But in a new form.

7. 39Mustang

39Mustang Member

Car(s):
    2014 Raptor, Mustangs - too many to list
    Ford needs to get 3 things in my opinion right or it'll be a colossal failure. Size is the biggest issue and even though I prefer the big Bronco it needs to be similar to the JK and if the Bronco6g rendering is close build that. Second, engine and we Americans want a V8 as an option as the Bronco always had one and considering the backlash Ford has gotten over the Eco-boost only Raptor then they'd be crazy to say no the Eco-boost is your only performance option. Third, its got to have a removable top like the JK if you want to compete for Jeep sales. As for engines my personal opinion I would like to see 3 available for the new Bronco with the 5.0 Coyote being the V8 option and if you want a 'Raptor' aka Parnelli Jones edition Bronco then you need the 5.0, the Eco-boost as the V6 option, and a Diesel option because demand would be high and considering the Jeep JK sometime in 2017 is getting a Diesel those JK's will sell faster then they can order them.

8. Wayne

Wayne Member

Car(s):
    13 Acura TL
    If they are going after the JK I dont think we will see a V8. Big HP is not something Ford (or a typical Bronco buyer) will care much about with the Bronco so I think they will find a way to do without it. Heck they are already pushing the "V8 power and more low end torque" upcoming hybrid for the Mustang so you know the V8 is getting squeezed.

Maybe in a low volume Raptor Bronco but definitely not the regular ones. I agree it needs a diesel and base V6. I'm sure they will put at least one Ecoboost engine in it (2.3 or 2.7 probably) to appease the EPA.

9. JAGSarge

JAGSarge Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    70 Stang, 14 Ram 1500 4x4
    I'd be willing to ditch my V8 for a small diesel, what year is the diesel hopping into the F150? 2018?

10. Lifted Fords

Lifted Fords New Member

I agree.
    This is what I would like to see 3 engine choices eco boost, 5.0, and a diesel. But they are doing away with v8s so the 5.0 may not happen but I rather have the diesel anyway. Make it like the Bronco 6g rendering and not a full size, even though I have a 96 FSB, must have full removable top and a soft top option would be nice, and must have solid axles. Factory lockers would be a nice option too. I also think it would be cool if they did something like the fox coilovers from the Raptor on all 4 corners but I know that's a long shot.

Time to start saving my pennies.

Rozinante likes this.
  11. Rozinante

Rozinante Member

Cartridge jockey
    #11 Rozinante, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    I'm glad to read of this. I was saving up for a full rebuild of my '66 289 Bronco but this gives me pause. But only pause: I like my pre-emissions Bronco--and no nasty turn signals on the sides, either! The 9" is great, the fold-down windshield is great, and the removable front windows are great. The 4-wheel-drums aren't, the three-on-the-tree isn't, and the front Dana has never left me walking out--but I've never leaned hard on that front axle, either...

A 2020/2021 new Bronco could solve a lot of these problems with little effort (yet lots of moolah), but then I'd have an emissions engine, side turn signals, and lesser differentials & axles...

Decisions. Decisions. Everything on my Bronco is 50 years old except for the oversized gas tank, the tube bumpers, and the floor-shift conversion. I'm sticking with the '66 unless this new Bronco is stunning and absolutely NAILS IT!

What say ye?

Oh--re-reading the article I find that the new Bronco will be built in Michigan as a "global vehicle", which means there may be too many compromises/cost-savings to be the really rugged, bullet-proof vehicle you and I want to see. I'd pay a lot for front-&-rear air lockers but I'm not sure a Brazilian or a Thai or a Filipino would be willing to do that. "Global vehicle" conjures up visions of small wheels, narrow tires, and a high, narrow body--mostly with four doors...Rugged, yes. Desirable? Not so much...Good-looking? Rarely.

Why, why, why did Ford sell Land Rover???? What were they thinking??? Together, they coulda built the most astonishing off-road vehicle on Earth...

12. mustangfanatic

Car(s):
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
    I agree on the vehicle size and removable top as "must have's" for the new Bronco. While I would love to see a V8 option, I do not see it happening in anything but a Raptor version and maybe not even then. Let's face it, Ford has embraced the small displacement turbo movement in a big way. Engine choices will likely be a diesel and a variety of EcoBoost V6 engines. Would love a V8 if Ford makes it available.

13. Tour18

Tour18 Member

Car(s):
    F150 FX4, Ranger, Porsche 993tt, Vette GS Vert 100th
    No Breverest for me. Period. Give us a Bronco as the fantastic renders posted right here on this forum, or I won't give it any more attention than a Korean snowflake.

14. Rozinante

Rozinante Member

Cartridge jockey
    #14 Rozinante, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    OK, Ford, make me cash in my life insurance and withdraw the balances in my IRAs by offering this:
    1. Body-On-Frame
    2. Two doors with removable windows
    3. Removable roof with a liftback
    4. 5-speed manual driving a dual-range transfer case
    5. Solid axles front and rear
    6. Front & rear 9" differentials (with pinion shaft bearings at each end and integral pumps to force-lube those bearings) on more rugged axle housings (I've bent mine too often)
    7. Front & rear lockers that are manually engaged/disengaged--ARB Air Lockers would be my recommendation
    8. All steel locking hubs--standard on the front axle, optional on the rear axle (for flat towing)
    9. Sealed runs-all-day-while-submerged wiring--ignition, lights, winches, audio, whatever
    10. Heater(s) for the front passengers and for the rear passengers--but not heated via the engine coolant
    11. 16" forged wheels. Legal bead-lock 16" forged wheels optional
    12. The largest four wheel disk brakes that will fit into the wheels, with ABS that has a "Disengaged" setting
    13. Full under-body skid plate(s)
    14. Tube bumpers front-&-rear: Brushed stainless, black-finished stainless, or body-color stainless. Fuck rust.
    15. Two tow hoops up front and two tow hoops back in the rear
    16. Winch plates front-&-rear, with wiring and control cable connections. Mounting holes for popular winches. Winches are a personal thing--upon which few agree. Let 'em supply their own
    17. Engines. Ford has a lot of great ones, so make the engine compartment BIG. Vehicle gross weight will likely be pretty high if the vehicle has a lot of cross-members, plenty of gusseting, and HD transmissions, HD transfer cases, HD driveshafts, HD universal joints, HD differentials, HD axles, HD brakes, yada yada yada so torque and horsepower needs to be abundant. The 3.5 V6 is solid (We have one in our Flex), and the EcoBoost version should be an option. I want the F-150 Coyote 5.0 myself.
    A diesel has been requested by several who posted upstream in this thread. I've no objection--but take the realistic view that a Bronco with solid off-road abilities as delivered won't be cheap. Maybe less $$ than a Raptor, but not by much. Will the price of the Bronco plus the likely optional cost of whatever diesel may be offered sell enough units to make it viable? I can't predict how many Broncos will sell with the three likely engines (the 3.5 V6, the EcoBoost 3.5 V6, and the truck 5.0 V8) so I cannot offer any insight as to what those with vehicle marketing knowledge might project for sales of diesel Broncos. I hope it's available for those who would buy it.
    18. Options: No doubt air conditioning will be number one and audio hardware of some kind will probably be number two (just a rugged CD player and a waterproof weather radio is all I need). Ring-&-pinion sets would be big with me, as would Air Lockers, optional fuel tanks so you don't hafta carry so many jerry cans of fuel, powerful lighting, at least a rollbar or two (a frame-mounted full-cage is something I would always pay extra for), engine compartment lighting, underbody lighting--not the nasty colored neons but service lighting to see universal joints, steering linkage, and trailer hitch apparatus at night, and a number of other things I'll hafta add when I have time.