Raj Nair: New Bronco Will Live Up To Its Heritage; Be "Different" Than The Ford Everest

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    #1 Administrator, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    RajNair_6399_HR.jpg

In the face of recent rumors from an alleged Ford designer that the 2020/2021 Bronco would be a "facelifted" Ford Everest, Raj Nair told members of the press at the 2017 North America International Auto Show that the Bronco will be more than a re-badged Everest.

The Ford Chief Technical Officer and Executive Vice President of Product Development reassured us that the next generation Ford Bronco would be different than the Everest and that it "will live up to the heritage" of the original as a "Capable and confident all-rounder," indicating that a shortened wheelbase in keeping with the original Bronco's boxy style could be possible.

For more on Raj Nair's comments regarding the new Bronco and Ranger:

UPDATED WITH RAJ NAIR COMMENTS TO AUTOLINE:

[2:40] - Bronco segment

RN: The Bronco - a legendary nameplate. To bring a vehicle that’s really focused on off-roading capability back in the lineup is going to be a lot of fun.

Q. There’s been two Broncos over the years. The original one is very Jeep like and compact, did terrific in offroad racing. And then there’s at the opposite end of the spectrum the big Bronco that everybody knows from the OJ chase. Where’s this new Bronco going to fit in?

RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition - that’s what fills that spot right now. This new Bronco will be based off the Ranger platform and so it’s going to be a similar sized vehicle to the global Ranger which is a bit bigger than the Ranger we used to have in the U.S. so I would say it’s kind of in between what you saw in that really big Bronco and the smaller Bronco.

Q. You also have a global vehicle called the Everest. Is that what the new Bronco is?

RN: No, it’s a separate vehicle. It’ll be an incremental vehicle from the Everest. The Everest serves a lot of off-road capability in the space the Explorer serves here in the U.S. — but a body on frame construction with a lot more off road capability for the rest of the world. This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest.

Q. It’s body on frame?

RN: It is body on frame and again, focusing on that off road capability.

Q. A lot of people have wondered why has the auto industry let Jeep just run free. Is the Bronco going to be competition for the Jeep Wrangler?

RN: That segment is getting a little more crowded seeing the success of the Jeep so certainly that will be one of the competitive vehicles that we’ll be targeting but I think the Bronco has got a pretty good name on its own and people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly we have an idea of what a Bronco should be and we’re going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers.

2. JAGSarge

JAGSarge Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    70 Stang, 14 Ram 1500 4x4
    This makes me feel better, thanks "Doug".

I wasn't really believing the guy on Reddit was legit anyways, just my opinion. If Ford truly saw the positive response from the "Bronco6g" rendering and truly wants it to be a Heep fighter then something along the lines of the rendering is a must.

3. dhg1078

dhg1078 Member

If it looked like the rendering, I would buy 5 of them regardless of off road capability.

4. Bronco Bob

Bronco Bob Member

Car(s):
    1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2013 Raptor
    One in every color!

5. Mustang313

Mustang313 Active Member

Car(s):
    Mustang GT (s197)
    Here's a question since we all love the 6g render. Could they actually refresh the Everest to look like that? I know the angle of the pillars and such are all wrong but would the fact that it's body on frame make it possible. Design a different body around the T6 platform.

6. dhg1078

dhg1078 Member

Its not impossible, its just a matter of budget. Too much of a change will require new crash testing, but seeing as how the cars aren't sold here currently they may need crash testing anyways. I think they have to buy new tooling for the plant anyways as well since they will be built in the states for the first time. Just comes down to engineering time and resources I guess.

Since its body on frame, they could theoretically throw a whole new body at it and not touch the frame.

7. mustangfanatic

Car(s):
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
    Agree, if Ford makes it look like the rendering, the demand will outstrip capacity at least for the first model year or two. However, since I can only afford one, color will be the biggest decision I would have to make :D

8. linkwpc

linkwpc New Member

This good news to hear! I hope its true.

9. Mustang313

Mustang313 Active Member

Car(s):
    Mustang GT (s197)
    That's my thinking too. The bean counters for sure just want to release nothing more than an Everest with a different front end. Let's hope they are smart enough to realize that will doom the Bronco.

Both Bronco and Ranger are going to be "new" vehicles in the US and need all the new crash testing, certification, etc. Might as well use the opportunity to do a clean design. They don't have to do it completely ground up, just use a shortened T6 and give it a totally new body, same as the Troller, but better..

10. Bronco Bob

Bronco Bob Member

Car(s):
    1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2013 Raptor
    If this happens, Unfortunately it would Price a lot of people out of the Market. Prices would be 10k over sticker "what ever sticker ends up being." Look at the new Raptors now. Around these parts they want nearly 90K almost 20K over sticker.
    I've Personally never paid Sticker price or above for any Vehicle, however there's always a first time for everything. If they make it look like this rendering, I'm in deep Shit!

11. commbubba19

commbubba19 New Member

Car(s):
    Mustang, Edge
    This is damage control folks. It will be an Everest with a different motor (likely 2.7 ecoboost) and redone front/rear and updated interior. Nair chose his words very carefully and that was done on purpose. Ford is a global manufacturer and has to leverage its costs.

12. Bronco_CA

Bronco_CA Member

Car(s):
    TIE Fighter
    Verbal confirmation that the Bronco WILL NOT be an Everest clone...

13. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    Thanks for posting, added it to the OP. Here is a transcript for anyone that has not watched the video. Raj has made it clear the new Bronco will be distinct from the Everest and repeatedly emphasized the vehicle's focus is on off road capability.

14. commbubba19

commbubba19 New Member

Car(s):
    Mustang, Edge
    "RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition"

Wait What??

So the Expedition which is 27" longer than the Bronco ever was, has two extra doors, extra seats, etc fills the market the Bronco left?
    I think this guy doesn't know cars. Can we get someone that actually knows the market and what they're talking about please?

15. Chute

Chute New Member

Car(s):
    S550
    Thanks for posting. I feel better after Ford's comments. I'm confused by what Raj said about the size however. Isn't the T6 Ranger larger than both the original bronco and full size bronco? How can it be "in between" if that's the case?

16. Tour18

Tour18 Member

Car(s):
    F150 FX4, Ranger, Porsche 993tt, Vette GS Vert 100th
    If his quotation is correct, the difference between the Everest and Bronco; "It’ll be an incremental vehicle from the Everest." I'm reading that as a Breverest, nothing like the renderings we have all fallen in love with. I can only wish that I'm utterly wrong. But I simply don't trust 'Global' marketing to give us what we want.

17. JAGSarge

JAGSarge Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    70 Stang, 14 Ram 1500 4x4
    EVERYTHING'S bigger than the 1st gen, lol they're tiny man, I'd be interested in comparing the Bronco II dimensions to 1st Gen just for grins, never seen that: 66-77 had its own chassis, 78-79 based off F100 & remaining FSBs based off F150 chassis'. But you make a good point, we keep hearing the T6 Ranger is about the same size as a 92-96 F150 (but I think just a little smaller) so if a 6th gen is about the same size as T6, which is about the same size as 92-96 F150 then wouldn't 6th gen Bronco be about the same size as 5th gen?

Which would be just fine with me!!! Maybe a little smaller, in between-ish, like they're saying. I LOVED my 5th gens FSBs!!!! People may find this blasphemous but if I had my choice between a restored EB and a restored 5th gen, wellllllllll hate to say
    FSB for me.

18. mustangfanatic

Car(s):
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
    Agree Bob, it will price a lot of people out of the market at least initially but if you are patient, you can get one at sticker or less. It took me nearly two years to obtain a GT350 at sticker but I finally managed it on a 2017 about 6 months ago. I love my GT350 but I refuse to pay ridiculous dealer ADM's even to obtain a truly great car. Bottom line is that patience is rewarded in these situations.

19. blksn8k

blksn8k Member

Car(s):
    1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550, 2007 Sport Trac, 1970 Mach 1
    The current T6 Ranger has been on the market since about the time we lost ours. That means it is due for a redesign in all markets, not just for North America. The question is going to be will Ford make the next Ranger wider than the current T6? The reason to do that would be to better compete with the GM midsize twins in the US market since they are a couple of inches wider and have slightly more interior space than the T6.

However, the current T6 is slightly smaller because that size works better in the markets where it is currently sold, which is basically everywhere but the US and Canada. The best scenario would be to make the Ranger wider for all markets assuming that is acceptable in its current markets. That way Ford would be able to match the competition and be better able to share most of the parts between the existing plants in Thailand, South Africa and Argentina and the converted Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) in Wayne, MI.

GM has taken a different approach and actually builds two different Colorados, the Chevy (and GMC Canyon) for North America and the Holden Colorado for all other markets. Toyota does the same thing with the Tacoma here and the Hilux everywhere else. Ford could choose to do something similar but it doesn't sound very efficient and Nair seemed to be saying that the NA version would have a different front clip which implies that the rest of the body would be the same as everywhere else. So the question is, again, does it get wider or not?

20. blksn8k

blksn8k Member

Car(s):
    1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550, 2007 Sport Trac, 1970 Mach 1
    #20 blksn8k, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    When I lived in Ohio there was a local guy who made a business out of mounting Bronco II bodies on 1st gen Bronco frames. They must have been pretty close to the same size. The 1st gen bodies rusted away pretty quickly in this part of the world but the frame, suspension and drivetrain were much stronger than the Bronco II stuff.

Edit: I just googled it, the 1st gen had a 92" wheelbase and the Bronco II's was 94". I would have guessed just the opposite. LOL!