Report: New Ford Bronco will have solid axles!

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    Watch out Jeep Wrangler, the 2021 Ford Bronco will feature sold axles! Supplier Dana has revealed that it's working on the driveline for the new Ford Bronco and that both the Bronco (and Ranger) will have "front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology." That means solid axle for both front and rear!

Dana also makes the solid axles for the Jeep Wrangler, and here's the kicker -- the Bronco's solid axles will also be made in the same new plant in Toledo, Ohio that will begin making axles for the next generation Wrangler (JL) later this year.

This news just made our wait for the true off-road capable new Ford Bronco that much harder!

The report comes via Automotive News:

2. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Member

Thats great news .... I hope for makes it steer better then the Wrangler as my Wrangler steering leaves a lot to be desired. If they can make it feel like their super duties (also solid axel front and rear) they will have a big Overland crowd buying the Bronco

3. mustangfanatic

Car(s):
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
    This is great news! Looks like the Bronco might just be a serious piece after all.

4. tasker

tasker New Member

Car(s):
    1973 Bronco Sport 351, C4, 4 wheel discs, hydroboost 33's on
    like the sounds of this....keep the good news coming!

5. FT4DT

FT4DT New Member

Car(s):
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2015 Ford Fiesta ST
    I am all for some solid axle love on a new Bronco, but I don't see how anyone gets solid axle from the news Dana will provide some drive line stuff for the new Ranger/Bronco.

The referenced Presentation has a page titled "Returning Home" with a couple of graphics depicting Ranger in 2019 and Bronco in 2020.
    Dana_Ranger_Bronco (Small).JPG

And it appears that "Spicer Axles Featuring AdvanTEK Gearing" can mean Solid Axles as well as Independent.

Dana_Ranger_Bronco(2) (Small).JPG

Pretty sure the Ranger will be independent, therefore the new Bronco will be too.

6. Rozinante

Rozinante Active Member

Cartridge jockey
    OK, so the Bronco will have essentially the same axles as a Wrangler--instead of better axles...

This is an improvement over Explorer hardware, but my Bronco has a Ford nine-inch in back--the greatest axles/differentials ever. Mine is fifty-years-old and has needed straightening a few times--but pieces of it aren't out on the trails somewhere. The ring gear in a nine-inch is stronger than the ring gear in a GM fourteen-bolt, and the complete housing, differential, and axles weigh over two hundred pounds less than the assembled fourteen-inch.

Score one for the original Broncos of '66 through '77!!

In the "Rebuild the 1966 Versus Purchase a 2020" conflict, the '66 takes the early lead. But it's a long race to the finish line...

7. Rozinante

Rozinante Active Member

Cartridge jockey
    Well, Salisbury manufactured the rear differentials in Cobra 427s, and that's encouraging if Salisbury is called upon for Bronco differentials!

8. Bronco_CA

Bronco_CA Member

Car(s):
    TIE Fighter
    If you listen to the webcast you'll discover a lot of assumptions are being made as there have been no concrete details leaked on the specifics of the suspension design. It can be assumed by virtue of the body configuration that there will be a solid rear axle, that much we can be for certain.

9. SharpGT500

SharpGT500 New Member

Valhalla likes this.
  10. Hack

Hack Member

Car(s):
    2016 GT350
    I would assume the front axle would be independent.

11. Simmy

Simmy Active Member

Car(s):
    All American
    Bronco and Ranger can share a platform without having the same axles. People sometimes overestimate how much is shared between models when they're on the same platform. It doesnt necessarily have to be a lot.

12. Bronco_CA

Bronco_CA Member

Car(s):
    TIE Fighter
    #12 Bronco_CA, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

This is spot on. It would actually be cheaper to make the Bronco with a SFA than IFS. We'll know for sure when the first prototypes get to rolling around.

13. Wayne

Wayne Member

Car(s):
    13 Acura TL
    Why would it be cheaper? (serious question). I would assume they could use the same IFS, share development/engineering costs and save from economies of scale with using the same basic suspension setup between Ranger and Bronco, no?

14. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Automotive
    Car(s):
    1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Boulevrad
  15. JBradley77

JBradley77 New Member

Car(s):
    2014 F250, E46 M3
    I think he probably means that solid axles are less complex and cheaper to produce and implement than independent suspension?

16. B2C

B2C Member

Car(s):
    2012 Explorer
    Question: does Ford currently use a solid front axle on any of its SUV's and trucks that can be used for the next Bronco?

17. Bronco_CA

Bronco_CA Member

Car(s):
    TIE Fighter
    This...

Bingo. IFS is a more complex suspension design and thus more costly to engineer and manufacture.

18. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1969 Bronco, 1968 Bronco, 2010 Legacy GT 1985 M1028 (Chevy
    LOL, probably from the fourth sentence. I'll c&p it for you :
    It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have Dana solid axles front and rear.
    It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have Dana solid axles front and rear.
    It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have .........
    Dana solid axles front and rear. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Jeepislife

Jeepislife New Member

Farmer
    Car(s):
    Jeep 1997 Wrangler TJ
    This is great news I can only hope it'll be solid axle in the front and not independent.

20. Broncowski

Broncowski Member

Car(s):
    Focus ST
    I think the issue is that that is automotive news's own conclusion based on Dana stating that the next Bronco/Ranger will have "front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology."

As someone else said above, Dana's Spicer axles featuring the AdvanTek gearing are for both solid and independent axles. I think Auto news just decided that was enough to call it solid axles all around.