Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Right on cue, MEJ gifts us this.

194438205_10224204446634156_3835736218614903456_n.jpg
1st place: best graphical representation of my quandary šŸ˜†

Alot of great feedback from the internet here. Consensus: I'm lazy/not trying hard enough. I did previously let the revs die off before going to neutral. But I shall now also rev match and downshift!
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Primary reason for me in the car world tho, is to keep the engine in boost. Taking it out of gear and letting it go down to idle at speed will lower the oil circulation, coolant flow, and drop the boost pressure down to pretty much zero.
Being in gear without a lot of throttle... you're not going to be in boost. And it won't go to zero, it will go negative.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I did a lot of downshifting while stopping driving a Spitfire, 240z, 911 and Miata, and sort of got away from it moving into sport sedans (VW Jetta, MB 240 and BMW 530), and then really with the JKUR.

The guy with the Audi down the street whoā€™s used to have an STi Subaru does every time he rolls in.

Iā€™ll have to experiment with the JK. Somehow the experience is not as spirited on road, but maybe the Bronco will bring back the spirit!

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have only owned manual transmissions since my first vehicle at 15, and have always downshifted to a stop. Unless of course, it is an emergency stop. Keeping the vehicle in gear keeps you in control, and stops excessive wear on your brakes. I have never had to replace a clutch, but I certainly have had to replace many brakes.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the section about maximizing fuel economy, the driver's manual suggests: "Do not shift into neutral when you are braking or when your vehicle is slowing down"

My questions are:

1) Do they mean this regardless of MT or AT?

2) Is fuel economy affected by this due to the fact the engine is essentially idling? (which as I understand it, is not as much of a fuel-sipping state as it might seem?) Excessive idling is also not great for engines in general but that's another topic.

3) (For experienced manual drivers) *As a general rule* do you downshift when slowing to a stop or do you use brakes only? If you downshift, do you do it sequentially or just pick up 1st gear somewhere near the very end of the slow-down?

In my first 3 vehicles (all manual) and ~10 years of driving, (as a general rule) I did not downshift except when accelerating from cruising speeds. To stop, I just went into neutral and applied the brakes with discretion. I replaced one clutch on the first vehicle which had been used and abused by the previous owner (older sister). Brake job intervals were around 30k miles in all 3 IIRC.

Last question: Am I foolish or just lazy for planning to drive this way when I get my Bronco? (Safety cop nit-picks 'you won't be able to react as fast if you're not in gear,' notwithstanding)
The only real question is are the pedals properly spaced for some good old heel-toe shifting in the corners....

Also why the hell would you shift a automatic to neutral at a stop?

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

All depends on the situation. Coming off the highway to a light, almost never downshift through every gears, but never coast in neutral or with the clutch in. Coming down a steep hill or slowing in traffic, I always downshift.

actually had to think about the response. Driven a manual my whole life both cars and motorcycles. Really donā€™t pay much attention to it as itā€™s just automatic after 50 years.

I will say, brakes are much easier and less costly to change despite what others might suggest. I still only need to change pads and rotors maybe every 50 or 60k. Havenā€™t had to replace a clutch in 45 years. Wouldnā€™t want to on a transaxle either!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have only owned manual transmissions since my first vehicle at 15, and have always downshifted to a stop. Unless of course, it is an emergency stop. Keeping the vehicle in gear keeps you in control, and stops excessive wear on your brakes. I have never had to replace a clutch, but I certainly have had to replace many brakes.
I donā€™t get excessive wear on the brakes - If I was driving an automatic in Drive and coming to a stop the brakes would wear more than a manual disengaged.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't mean semantics or specifics even, but doesn't an automatically pretty much disengage the gears when you lift the throttle? In effect, coasting and letting you use just the brakes. Unless you push a "sport" button or GOAT mode. I'd say that's what I do with a manual, if I choose to use a mode where the gears slow me down, I do. Or I coast and just use the brakes. I just don't push a little button and let the computer decide.

Gcardieri

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa fe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the situation or my mood calls for downshifting I downshift. When I want to coast in neutral I do it. If I need to pop it back into gear I can. The point is every driving situation is unique and I have complete control to do exactly what I want the vehicle to do when driving a stick.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only time I am in neutral is idling at the ATM. You should be stopping in 2nd, and shift to first once completely stopped.

I normally get about 40,000 miles on a set of front brakes, 80-120 thousand on the rear.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right on cue, MEJ gifts us this.

194438205_10224204446634156_3835736218614903456_n.jpg
Wait - MEJ is still a thing? I lost it on FB a while ago when it merged with something else. What platform can I find it on?

Gcardieri

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa fe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only time I am in neutral is idling at the ATM. You should be stopping in 2nd, and shift to first once completely stopped.

I normally get about 40,000 miles on a set of front brakes, 80-120 thousand on the rear.
If Iā€™m stopping at a stop sign I do what you suggest, but if Iā€™m gonna be at a traffic light for multiple minutes why would I remain in gear with both legs extended on peddles? Nothing wrong with being in neutral. Even if Iā€™m the first one at the light I can engage from neutral into first gear and get off the line quicker than the guy next to me almost every time.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With a 95:1 crawl ratio, one thing you don't want to do is coast down a hill off road in C gear with the clutch pedal pushed in. At 20 mph in low range your clutch disc would spin about 17k rpm and could explode and come through the floor! It's happened before so driver beware.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait - MEJ is still a thing? I lost it on FB a while ago when it merged with something else. What platform can I find it on?
Still FB, idk what else.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If Iā€™m stopping at a stop sign I do what you suggest, but if Iā€™m gonna be at a traffic light for multiple minutes why would I remain in gear with both legs extended on peddles?
Both legs? I normally take my foot off the brake once I am stopped. But... Phoenix is pretty damn flat.
Sponsored