Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll take the lightweight switches any day. I work with tons of those clunky metal switches and they're constantly failing and being replaced, always have to be re-indexed and tightened down again. Electronics have come a really long way since the 20's when those things were introduced, now you only need a modicum of current to a switch in order to energize a solid state relay, so your switches no longer need to be mechanically large with contacts exposed to the elements, they can be small and even carry a combined digital signal instead of independent analog power for each. The only advantage they have these days is that you can find them literally anywhere. Coincidentally, since you can find them literally anywhere, you can make one of those switch boxes yourself, or just buy one...they're universal in operation and straightforward to integrate. That one you posted right there could probably be mounted where the aux switches are on a Bronco, just a matter of running 6 different wires to it instead of a single cable. Or don't even bother with a box, just drill a bunch of switch holes up there and mount them directly.
Does that mean if I want chunky switches for the look and feel, and they are just energising a solid state relay..... I won't need to "re-index" them if they get "un-indexrd"? Haha

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does that mean if I want chunky switches for the look and feel, and they are just energising a solid state relay..... I won't need to "re-index" them if they get "un-indexrd"? Haha
If you haven't had one of those clunky switches get loose on you and rotate sideways to the point that the hot wire contacts the grounded metal case of a nearby clunky metal switch causing your cockpit to fill with smoke while you're frantically trying to rotate it back with the world's thinnest nut flying dangerously close to the ground, then have you really lived life to the fullest? I sounded like an auctioneer on ephedrine with a one word vocabulary for about 30 seconds 😬

I fly with a pair of pliers and a fire extinguisher handy these days, and my preflight includes vigorously wiggling all 18 of those switches. They usually work, and I replace one or two each year at the end of the season, but I still don't trust them, I don't like them, and they're not going on my Bronco because I don't have to follow the FAA's rules LOL
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.