Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've searched, and read so much looking for a plain simple answer to the question "when the connected navigation subscription expires will I still have the plain old navigation system like my wife's 2018 Mustang"? All I needed was a simple yes or no answer, but the answers I read were more confusing than helpful. So, I contacted Ford through their little "chat" thingy, and the answer is "YES". I hope this helps others like me that were looking for a non technical simple answer to this question.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've searched, and read so much looking for a plain simple answer to the question "when the connected navigation subscription expires will I still have the plain old navigation system like my wife's 2018 Mustang"? All I needed was a simple yes or no answer, but the answers I read were more confusing than helpful. So, I contacted Ford through their little "chat" thingy, and the answer is "YES". I hope this helps others like me that were looking for a non technical simple answer to this question.
Yes, the "built in" is misleading. It is actually just a pre-paid 3-year subscription to the extra cloud-based services. The only part that is actually "built in" is the price of the subscription.

The one part that I don't understand is whether or not you will get map updates if you don't have an active subscription.

Last edited:

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find this horribly confusing as well. If I pay the $695 I get a full three years of live traffic is that right? Otherwise it's just dumb navigation where I have maps but no traffic info?

BMW charges $50 annually for the live traffic, the Ford subscription seems very expensive.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I find this horribly confusing as well. If I pay the $695 I get a full three years of live traffic is that right? Otherwise it's just dumb navigation where I have maps but no traffic info?

BMW charges $50 annually for the live traffic, the Ford subscription seems very expensive.
Basically we're paying $695 for the normal navigation system, and Ford is throwing in the subscription for 3 years. After the subscription expires we're left with the normal navigation system. It's like buying a new car, and you get Sirius/XM for a few months free. After the trail is over you still have the car. lol

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have sync 4 “built in” Nav now. It works fine and is likely less dependent on cellular service, but the interface is bad IMO. Generally just use car play and Google maps. Not sure if that helps anyone?

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think now that connecting your phone to the truck to use apps has become wireless the navigation services have become outdated and expensive. Most apps let you download maps if you are going to be out of service and the ones that do charge money seem to be cheaper than what Ford is charging.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes, the "built in" is misleading. It is actually just a pre-paid 3-year subscription to the extra cloud-based services. The only part that is actually "built in" is the price of the subscription.

The one part that I don't understand is whether or not you will get map updates if you don't have an active subscription.
you are incorrect. having nav and having the built in gps satellite receiver are two different things.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco won't really be my road trip car, but I do like the traffic for office commute. 500 yards into my 6 mile drive I have to make a very binary decision, highway or not. My BMWs are great when the map is up I can quickly look at the road and see red or green and make a call.

Not sure that's worth $695 to me though.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you are incorrect. having nav and having the built in gps satellite receiver are two different things.
You will need to provide a reliable source for that information. I think that is false rumor. Nav systems have GPS so they can be accurate and work on all roads independent of cell coverage and dead reckoning.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, you have GPS in most cars and probably will have A-GPS in this as well. This appears to the subscription service that you prepay for. So I'm guessing you'll be able to get this after purchase. I don't see the hardware being any different.

Now if the software is totally different then it makes sense. I hoping it's the same software so I can use a 3rd party device like a tmobile syncup drive. Then I can run an external mobile wifi connection to provide info the the infotainment system.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jeremy, I haven't been in that situation as the car hasn't been out on any long trips yet. I can say that we took my F-150 across country through Montana, Wyoming, all along the Bear Tooth Hwy (212), and never lost the nav. (we did lose the phone connection) It got crazy a couple of times trying to tell me to turn off a road when there wasn't a road to turn onto, but other than that it was all good. I would say if you're planning any big off road adventures into the boonies there may be a chance the signal will get lost. But, it can find a satellite it will work.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugh, is Ford listening? Navigation, built in navigation, connected navigation, normal navigation, Mustang, Mustang Mach E, Bronco, Bronco Sport, jeeze, WTF are they thinking to make this so hard??

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeremy, I haven't been in that situation yet, so I don't know. I can say that we took my F-150 across country through Montana, Wyoming, etc., and never lost the nav. It got crazy a couple of times trying to tell me to turn off a road when there wasn't a road to turn onto, but other than that it was all good. I would say if you're planning any big off road into the boonies there may be a chance the signal will get lost. But, it can find a satellite all will be good.

The reason you lost connection and it was off is between GPS and A-GPS. Assisted gps triangulates your position using cell towers , where as GPS uses satellite. They work in conjunction with each other, just like your cell phone does. If you lose one it can throw off the accuracy for a time while the system is recalculating.
Sponsored