Sponsored

HELP! 2 Door Overlander - Am I foolish to think it will work?

OP
OP
srotier

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 2 Door; 2017 Dodge Durango GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For every 1 hour of actually DOING your hobby (overlanding etc), let yourself earn $15 and 15 minutes of research time. This way lets say you go outdoors driving offroad 4 hours per weekend. You are only allowed 1 hour of internet research, and $60 to spend (in addition to gas/food/water). This keeps things in balance nicely.
This is great!! Thanks!
Sponsored

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm outfitting for the same situation. I'll be adding the roof rack, and basket. Most likely be going aftermarket on those just for additional storage space for bulky items like a camp table, chairs or whatever else I'm cool leaving exposed to the road and elements.

All an all though coming from a backpacking background, folding the rear seats down will get me all the space I need and then some. Only real space restraint is going to be the dog and that lucky 3rd or 4th passenger.

OP
OP
srotier

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

doesn't sound like you have kids.
My guilty conscious comes out and tells you that I have a 7 yo and 3 yo. My plan all along will be for them to go along off-roading on day trips, but the Overlanding would be "retreats" for my wife and I. We do go camping with the kids and pack up the Durango do to that, it's great memories for the kids, but it's always so planned out. The idea of setting off with no destination and hitting trails until we find a great spot to camp is enticing!

When the kids get older and can wheel in the front seat safely (my level of safety satisfaction may be different than yours), I can use the 2 Door as an "excuse" to take just one of them and get quality time together!

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your description sounds more like "camping" than what I (maybe wrongly) thought was "overlanding." 2dr with just one passenger (or no passenger) and no dogs should be great for camping - done what you described in everything from a ford courier to a lifted suburban and the level of junk you take with you clearly adjusts to how much space you have.

If you do want to gear-up over time (batwing awning, ARB fridge, RTT...)just make sure you get the roof rack and tow hitch.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just another data point, with a Black Diamond, you certainly don’t need a lift unless you’re planning some pretty hard core wheeling. Stock 32s will do very nicely for moderate off-roading.

Sponsored
OP
OP
srotier

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your description sounds more like "camping" than what I (maybe wrongly) thought was "overlanding." 2dr with just one passenger (or no passenger) and no dogs should be great for camping - done what you described in everything from a ford courier to a lifted suburban and the level of junk you take with you clearly adjusts to how much space you have.

If you do want to gear-up over time (batwing awning, ARB fridge, RTT...)just make sure you get the roof rack and tow hitch.
It probably does look more like camping than true Overlanding to most people, but I view Overlanding as really just camping without a destination. My current camping experience is getting a reservation at a campsite, months in advance and sitting next to camp trailers in our ground tent. The idea of hitting trails over a 3-4 day period and just finding places to park and camp along the way, while still being able to eat a non-dehydrated meal each night and having a dry place to sleep (read: not on the ground)

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm outfitting for the same situation. I'll be adding the roof rack, and basket. Most likely be going aftermarket on those just for additional storage space for bulky items like a camp table, chairs or whatever else I'm cool leaving exposed to the road and elements.

All an all though coming from a backpacking background, folding the rear seats down will get me all the space I need and then some. Only real space restraint is going to be the dog and that lucky 3rd or 4th passenger.
When loading my 2 door, I'm planning on bringing only my backpacking pack, loaded up. Why not? Maybe a pack of bottled waters that's it. Of course a recovery strap but that always stays inside. And anyone who comes with me friends etc. are allowed only what they can carry on their backs! Anything extra is just trying to bring the comforts of society out to the wilderness.

People should know that backpacking gear is a lot more compact and light than camping gear. Significantly and makes a huge difference. I went backpacking with camping gear, and my pack was gigantic and heavy. Looking to start replacing items slowly with hyperlite stuff for backpacking and for Bronco'ing at the same time.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
My guilty conscious comes out and tells you that I have a 7 yo and 3 yo. My plan all along will be for them to go along off-roading on day trips, but the Overlanding would be "retreats" for my wife and I. We do go camping with the kids and pack up the Durango do to that, it's great memories for the kids, but it's always so planned out. The idea of setting off with no destination and hitting trails until we find a great spot to camp is enticing!

When the kids get older and can wheel in the front seat safely (my level of safety satisfaction may be different than yours), I can use the 2 Door as an "excuse" to take just one of them and get quality time together!
Oh, I see. I'm not going to get into your business but I'm glad y'all are making memories traveling with them. Some of my best childhood memories are visiting Yosemite, Glacier National, Grand Canyon, and digging for dinosaurs in Montana.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sleeping:

I'd really love to see how far back the 2 front seats can go. Maybe we don't need a RTT after all and you can load up the roof with stuff too. I know some people that sleep in their seats like that. Another option is a hammock. Attach one end to your bronco and another to a tree. Don't need 2 trees. Look how small:

Ford Bronco HELP! 2 Door Overlander - Am I foolish to think it will work? rover4

This company makes much more affordable lightweight RTT and some of theirs have racks ON TOP of the tent, so you don't lose that space. They've also stated in the comments that it will work on Bronco 2 door:

That new superlite is on my list for sure. Stupid light for a hard shell and affordable too.

To OP: if your concern is with fitting enough gear, 2 door will be more than enough room. Especially if you yank the rear seats (either before each trip or keep em out permanently).

Camping out of your vehicle is a ton of fun, but you don’t need to horde gear to do it. A lot of the “overlanding” crowd in the US like to act like they’re prepping for an insert into some non-permissive environment with the amount of stuff they bring.

Don’t get me wrong, gear is cool, but much of it is unnecessary. I’m more interested in gear that is lightweight, and/or serves multiple purposes to tamp down my packing list.

As aplm7 said above, you really don’t need more than what you can carry on your person (recovery gear and tools excluded).

Sponsored

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh, I see. I'm not going to get into your business but I'm glad y'all are making memories traveling with them. Some of my best childhood memories are visiting Yosemite, Glacier National, Grand Canyon, and digging for dinosaurs in Montana.
Is that legal for anybody to do still? I wanna go dig for dinos

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is that legal for anybody to do still? I wanna go dig for dinos
Well, it is if you're with a university. Montana State Northern used to have a cool program where anyone could join after a vetting process though it wasn't free. Or any rancher or landowner could allow you to hunt on their land. It was a great experience and I have some good stories from it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A two door is fine. Overlanding is just fancy car camping. You don’t need a rooftop tent And all that extra Stuff. We have an MSR tent that sets up and comes down faster than an RTT. And there’s no probability of falling six feet if you have to get up in the night. ?

the most underrated camping item is a cutting board and good knife.
Sponsored