Sponsored

Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference?

Brak101

Badlands
First Name
Brak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a Badlands non squatch being built hopefully still this year, and will be riding out the 33” tires until they need to be replaced, but I’m already trying to figure out what the next look will be, and I thought I would throw my questions out to you all to see what you had to say, and hopefully get some onsite on how to accomplish my goals.

Goals:

1. I want minimal lift to maintain as low of a center of gravity as possible.

2. I want to continue to have full articulation of the badlands, non-squatch.

3. I want to be able to get 35” tires to give the ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and of course the look.

I’ve been reading up on IFS geometry and lifting effects, and am convinced I don’t want to lift anymore that I have to to fit at least 35” tires while maintaining full range of articulation I saw on the sticky thread that for a BL to get 35” tires, a .43 “ lift would be required. Does this take in account hard turns at full flex? Does it include the OEM wheel offsets, or would new wheel offsets be required? If so, what offsets?

Also, given that I get the .43” lift required to match the Sasquatch, I saw some inner fenders that claim to allow a Sasquatch to have 37” without further modifications:

https://dv8offroad.com/products/6th-gen-bronco-inner-fenders-front

Could this pair with a .5” “leveling kit” to give full articulation with 37” tires on a non-squatch with OEM badlands wheels?
Sponsored

fordguru

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 2 raptor, 20 expedition max, bronco ba/sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m thinking king coil overs, crash bar mods (the good ones) and zero off set with bfg
reasoning, kings are relatively low lift max travel.
bfg 37 are like 36.5 in reality
my kings just showed up after 9 month wait but my bronco only got here aug 25th soooo… that’s my route

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run 37 km3s on my Sasquatch badlands….I don’t see why you couldn’t run 35s on a badlands your only a 1/2” lower. You will probably have to get different rims. I use -38mm backspaced methods, I had to remove the big plastic pieces from the rear of the wheel wells and the ends off the modular bumper…of the course the tires would rub the flairs on full flex some…

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1.5” Broncbuster body lift in the mix, Jks max tire kit and you’d be in the ballpark. I’d also add 1.25” wheel spacers If keeping the OEM wheels. This keeps all the factory suspension and it’s geometry in tact (except scrub radius). Add a front leveling kit and I bet you’d be good

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally a kindred spirit! I’ve been searing the exact same thing. Wheeling in CO, I’ve noticed the my Badlands non-SAS does absolutely everything the SAS Broncos do. The increase in up travel more than makes up for the tire size. I scrape just a little bit more than the SAS Broncos to and have ever so slightly smaller approach angle. A lot of this is due to have a 2-door as well.

My “ah-ha” was the front diff/skid clearance. With a solid axle vehicle, the front diff clearance only benefits from tire size changes. With an IFS vehicle, you get some double dipping as the front skid/diff benefits from tire size increase as well as suspension lift.

That being said, I’m planning to put Billstien 6100’s on as well as wheel spacers to keep the factory wheels. Cut the crash bar mounts back to the frame. I also think there is travel to be had out of the rear control arms and upper links. I may upgrade those first and see what difference they make.

This allows me to not spend a fortune on CO’s as I don’t really need those. I get benefit of more suspension droop and 35’s. However, I will echo the Kings having minimal lift and lots of travel. On the local Bronco group, there was a person who put kings on a SAS and gained 2+ inches of droop. I also saw that Camburg is putting together their long travel kit for Broncos as well

Sponsored
OP
OP

Brak101

Badlands
First Name
Brak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking king coil overs, crash bar mods (the good ones) and zero off set with bfg
reasoning, kings are relatively low lift max travel...
... However, I will echo the Kings having minimal lift and lots of travel.
I am looking, but not finding them. Could you give me a link to the King coilovers your talking about? Also, what crash bar mods are you taking about? The only mod I was aware of is removing them like the Sasquatch does.

That's some good info on the BFG 37" (or 36.5") too! Thanks for that!

That being said, though I would like to see what the King coilovers have that makes them better than the Badlands stock, I can't justify paying Ford for an upgraded suspension just to buy a more expensive upgrade as a total replacement. At least not until it's needed. So in the meantime, I would be really interested in finding out out where the limitations are in getting 35" and 37" tires under a non-squatch.

i.e. Why does the Definitive Guide (https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ide-lift-heights-with-wheel-tire-sizes.17719/) have a .43" coilover lift required to fit 35", and is that something that the DV8 inner fenders would eliminate?

@DV8offroad perhaps that is a question you might be able to answer about your inner fenders?

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking, but not finding them. Could you give me a link to the King coilovers your talking about? Also, what crash bar mods are you taking about? The only mod I was aware of is removing them like the Sasquatch does.

That being said, though I would like to see what the King coilovers have that makes them better than the Badlands stock, I can't justify paying Ford for an upgraded suspension just to buy a more expensive upgrade as a total replacement. At least not until it's needed. So in the meantime, I would be really interested in finding out out where the limitations are in getting 35" and 37" tires under a non-squatch.

i.e. Why does the Definitive Guide (https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ide-lift-heights-with-wheel-tire-sizes.17719/) have a .43" coilover lift required to fit 35", and is that something that the DV8 inner fenders would eliminate?

@DV8offroad perhaps that is a question you might be able to answer about your inner fenders?
I mean like chopping the brackets off the frame. The Broncbuster broncos have them chopped up pretty good to fit the big meats they are running.

We know 35’s fit on the regular badlands but require wheel spacers.
I’m also convinced in my mind that the stock rear control arms limit movement so that is where I’m going to go next.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m also convinced in my mind that the stock rear control arms limit movement so that is where I’m going to go next.
100%. It's pitiful for a 4 link. There's leaves that flex better. Luckily new control arms with better joints are available already and not terribly priced. They'd also be easy to build at home since they can be arrow straight.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

100%. It's pitiful for a 4 link. There's leaves that flex better. Luckily new control arms with better joints are available already and not terribly priced. They'd also be easy to build at home since they can be arrow straight.
Glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is a limiter. IMHO the stock suspension is pretty good and the regular Badlands can be so capable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Brak101

Badlands
First Name
Brak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the Bronco Bilstein shocks are the same length 6100, 5100 and SAS. Switching between them only changes ride height not total travel.
Are you saying the sticky for the "definitive guide" is not "definitive"?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ide-lift-heights-with-wheel-tire-sizes.17719/

Sasquatch vs Badlands Articulation (Update 1/2/2022)
While the Bilstein coilover's are 0.43" taller on the Sasquatch vs the Badlands, they also have a 0.4" Bump stop vs the Badlands, limiting articulation, so the larger 35" tires don't top out on the fender well. Therefore, Sasquatch with 35" tires has Less articulation, not more.
Or are you just talking about the shocks themselves?

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adjustable set is in stock right now so no wait https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...eservoir-shocks-set-for-2021-2023-ford-bronco

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have a Badlands non squatch being built hopefully still this year, and will be riding out the 33” tires until they need to be replaced, but I’m already trying to figure out what the next look will be, and I thought I would throw my questions out to you all to see what you had to say, and hopefully get some onsite on how to accomplish my goals.

Goals:

1. I want minimal lift to maintain as low of a center of gravity as possible.

2. I want to continue to have full articulation of the badlands, non-squatch.

3. I want to be able to get 35” tires to give the ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and of course the look.

I’ve been reading up on IFS geometry and lifting effects, and am convinced I don’t want to lift anymore that I have to to fit at least 35” tires while maintaining full range of articulation I saw on the sticky thread that for a BL to get 35” tires, a .43 “ lift would be required. Does this take in account hard turns at full flex? Does it include the OEM wheel offsets, or would new wheel offsets be required? If so, what offsets?

Also, given that I get the .43” lift required to match the Sasquatch, I saw some inner fenders that claim to allow a Sasquatch to have 37” without further modifications:

https://dv8offroad.com/products/6th-gen-bronco-inner-fenders-front

Could this pair with a .5” “leveling kit” to give full articulation with 37” tires on a non-squatch with OEM badlands wheels?
I am in the exact same boat. Already have a set of 35" Firestones waiting to swap on to my Badlands, whenver it shows up. (Hopefully within the next week) Keeping the factory BL wheels.

I don't want to replace coilovers, since the Broncos already get good suspension, but I too would like the low CG and max travel. Broncbuster has a 1.5" coilover spacer (puck) lift, as well as the body lift. So I'm going to swap the 35's on my rig, pull the crash bars, and see where it rubs, since I haven't found any definitive answers on 35's with OEM wheels.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the shock length in the rear is more of a limiting factor than factory control arms binding up. Factory bushing are pretty soft they flex decent I think for the amount of droop the shock allows.
Sponsored