Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Stupid question....does this void warranty
If a modification can be proven to have contributed to the issue, then warranty could be denied.

They cannot refuse to fix a glitchy headlight because you put a spacer kit on.
Sponsored

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure the other mfg's have their reasons for doing it the way they did. But ICON is first and foremost a suspension company, not a "lift kit" company, so I'm confident our designers have their reasons for doing it this way. I will admit that I'm not as well versed in that specific question as I should be so I'll have a chat with those guys after the holiday and let you know what I find out.

But I can tell you what I know just as a lifelong off-roader who has been modifying and wheeling 4X4's for decades. The suspension geometry is the same regardless of where the "lift" is. coming from, if you haven't changed any of the suspension pivot points. CV angles don't care how the shocks are mounted...3" of lift affects that angle the same regardless, if you haven't moved any pivot points. The only way to get a certain amount of lift without affecting the CV angle the same is to use a portal. Same thing with steering. Unless you've moved the steering pivot points, the amount of lift affects it the same regardless of how that lift was achieved.

I will say that our kit uses a top spacer and a pre-load spacer on each strut, not a single spacer. The top spacer goes on top of the strut, below the strut mount. The pre-load spacer goes between the top of the spring and the underside of the top of the strut. So the amount of lift isn't entirely on top of the strut. I'll find out whether there is any performance benefit to this when I chat with the engineers next week. But I do know that it allowed us to make one part number that fits on all Bronco trims (some simply don't use the preload spacer at one end).
So if i understand this correctly, the pre-load spacer compresses the spring so that there is more force pushing the vehicle upward from the base of the strut. That alone causes no change to the suspension geometry in terms of rotation points or full-extension travel, but it does reduce the fully-compressed travel point by the width of the spacer. So a 1" spacer might reduce suspension travel from, say, 13" to 12". Is that correct?

On a different question, has anyone compared the control arms, steering linkages and sway bar geometry between Squatch, BL, and base models? I have heard that Squatch has less travel than BL presumably because of similar pre-loading to give the 35s more room to work. I've also heard that the BL suspension is pretty close to the edge of CV capability with a fully-extended suspension, meaning that adding spacers above it might risk hyperextension of the CV and/or other pivot points. Anyone have more insight into this?

R_R8T3D

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor, Shelby GT350R, Audi RS6, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just got this email from them. I hope its not 8-10 weeks.

Hello,

Thank you for placing an order through our web store. Your order has been entered and will ship as soon as possible. One or more of the items on your order is currently on back order and will ship once available. Our apologies but we are currently experiencing longer than normal build times.

The ETA for your order is approximately 8-10 weeks.

Due to this timeframe the payment you submitted through our website will no longer be valid after 30 days and will be automatically returned to you. In an effort to help expedite your order once it is complete you can call our office 951-689-4266 x1 and speak with one of our customer service reps who can put your card on file. We do not charge the card until the day it ships. We can also give you a call and send an email once the order is ready letting you know the order is past the 30 days and payment has expired, if you could please give us a call for updated payment info.

Approximate ETA, 8-10 WEEKS

If you have any questions regarding your order, please feel free to contact our sales staff directly by email at [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Web Orders PH: 951-689-4266 FAX: 951-689-1016
[email protected]
WWW.ICONVEHICLEDYNAMICS.COM

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
So it shouldn’t need improved control arms for this kit with 37’s?
The kit doesn't care what size the tires are. But yes, control arms with improved range of motion will always be a benefit if you are operating at fulll extension of the suspension on a regular basis, i.e. going off-road a lot and flexing out to the maximum regularly, which may bring the OEM ball joints to their articulation limits (this isn't going to be as important for those who seldom go off-road but just want the space to run bigger tires on their grocery getters). ICON will have two Bronco front UCA's in our product line at some point, either billet or tubular, both with our high-angle Delta Joint instead of the OEM ball joint.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sure I did. Sometimes I re-read too much.

Maybe he did not understand me either I used the spacer at the top term versus top, middle (spring perch) or bottom (LCA under shock). And even in his response, which I have re-read more than once, he said one spacer on top of upper mount and the other spacer is under the upper mount on top of the spring but last time I checked the would be the same as being "all" on top. But I guess that is just me. 😁 I mean we are only talking about the mount in between which might be an inch. Versus a perch spacer which is at the bottom of the spring or as I said earlier, the middle.

Either way we will see when he weighs back in here next week. 😁
Yeah maybe I mistakenly took your question literally LOL...you asked:

It has been noted in the other spacer lifts, that split it up, say it is to maintain cv angles and suspension geometry. Yours seem to buck that statement and I am curious why. I guess where I am going with this is if spacer is all at the top and all though the tires may not rub, or the suspension does not bind, does it put undo stress on another areas ??? Maybe in the area of the steering geometry :unsure: Or maybe bind a cv at full droop with the wheel turned all the way in one direction.
You wanted to know whether having all of the lift amount at the top of the shock versus splitting it up and putting some of the lift at the bottom of the shock resulted in other issues. My response was that it didn't matter. You were increasing the effective length of the shock at ride height, and where on the shock that extra length is placed makes no difference to the rest of the suspension and steering. They only care that it IS longer, not HOW it's longer.

But like I said I'm not an engineer so maybe these things are over my head :)

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
it was obvious you work there so ...
Keeping them separate is for my benefit, not yours :) I'm also a member here as just a Bronco enthusiast, with my "Dusty" account that has been here since 2016. With that one I'm not acting as an ICON rep, and hopefully I can still just be myself when I use it LOL.

Spiff89

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The kit doesn't care what size the tires are. But yes, control arms with improved range of motion will always be a benefit if you are operating at fulll extension of the suspension on a regular basis, i.e. going off-road a lot and flexing out to the maximum regularly, which may bring the OEM ball joints to their articulation limits (this isn't going to be as important for those who seldom go off-road but just want the space to run bigger tires on their grocery getters). ICON will have two Bronco front UCA's in our product line at some point, either billet or tubular, both with our high-angle Delta Joint instead of the OEM ball joint.
That is amazing and any ETA like 2022 Q1 or just wait and see?

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh if they took the 37‘s off the Sasquatch the test probably didn’t go as planned. I don’t know I’m just saying
The 37's stayed on it, but the spacer kit didn't. Because it got these instead:

Ford Bronco ICON 3" Level Lift Spacer Kit IMG_1424.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Spill the tea, Sir! Can't wait to get more info.
That's our full coilover kit for Bronco. The prototype components in this pic were installed on our Bronco for SEMA so there's nothing secret about it at this point. But I can't even guess at an ETA for it.

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just got this email from them. I hope its not 8-10 weeks.
I was curious about that too so I inquired. the 8-10 weeks is a canned response on all of our suspension components. But I have heard that these spacers should be shipping much sooner than that, like cut that estimate in half. I'm hesitant to give an exact ETA with supply chain and machine shop delays what they are these days.

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is amazing and any ETA like 2022 Q1 or just wait and see?
Should be some time in Q1, along with the rear upper and lower CA's.

corey07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's our full coilover kit for Bronco. The prototype components in this pic were installed on our Bronco for SEMA so there's nothing secret about it at this point. But I can't even guess at an ETA for it.
Oh yeah I know! The SEMA stuff was exciting. I was just hoping for more ETA info, but thanks for the update regardless.
Sponsored