First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I took delivery of my A51 Wildtrak on 7/28/2021- Lux, Tow, Side Steps, Floor Liners. In just over 4 months I've put on 5708mi(as of this morning-12/1). Coming from a tuned 2016 VW Golf R and never having owned a "truck" this is a completely different animal. Some of my views/opinions are referenced against the VW, while others are more general. I'll start with the Pros and Cons and wrap it up with a conclusion

Cons- Lets get the negative out of the way first
  • MIC Top leak- Aside from some delivery damage my MIC top is cosmetically great. No honeycomb, delaminating, bad edges etc. BUT in heavy rain it has leaked. Same as documented by others- the drain trough gets overwhelmed and water drips from the A-Pillar and over the front doors. Its rare but has happened multiple times
  • Transmission Control Module- After using 4A in a heavy rain storm the next start resulted in a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" warning. Drive modes(2H, 4H etc) weren't functioning and GOAT modes were unavailable. I could not select 2H(I drive almost exclusively in 2H) and the truck was stuck in 4H. Dealer service diagnosed a faulty Transmission Control Module. Truck sat at the dealer for 5days while waiting for the part to come in, install was quick once received. Offroad it would have been drivable, but locked in 4H with my daily mileage and tight maneuvers required it wasn't going anywhere.
  • Lack of rain sensing wipers- I miss this from the VW. It was nice not having to play with the intermittent speeds or be locked into a preset selection.
  • Hard interior plastics- ALL of the touch points are fine, feel good, padded and have been durable. Its the non-touch points, the trim on the dash, door cards etc that have a hard cheap feel to them
  • Sirius Reception- Its awful, compared to any other car I've driven it loses signal much more frequently. Drive through a shadow or sneeze and you lose signal. I understand there is a bulletin about this stating its being looked into.
  • Tail Gate Noises- Started as the creak/squeak(not awful), possibly from the spare tire grommets. Haven't been able to diagnose it fully or find a solution. However now that its gotten colder the tail gate and hatch make an obnoxious and loud squeak until the outside temp hits about 45*. Any bumps that upset the rear end cause the squeaking. Make it sound like an old well worn vehicle, not a new car.
  • Rear Suspension- 90% of the time its fine, rides better than I would have expected. On-road, square edged bumps(deep pot holes, speed bumps, some joints) put a shimmy in the rear that just lacks composure. Probably what I would expect from a "truck" but compared to the front end(se Pros) its unsettling
  • Goodyear Territory tires- Dry traction is good, I haven't done any hardcore off-roading to comment. Wet traction is lacking, specifically braking, not getting into ABS but enough slip in an emergency stopping scenario. These tires also throw EVERY stone, any gravel road or parking lot ends in stones being thrown as you're approaching road speeds. Magnified by bouncing off the step bars, but if I didn't have the steps the body work would be a mess. Consider mudflaps(oh wait there aren't any to go with the steps)
  • Overall Build Quality- I have some uneven panel gaps, hood misalignment and need to schedule my MIC 2.0 replacement, could have been better
  • Automatic Climate Control- Constantly seems to be hunting, whether you're heating or cooling it shoots past the target and then reverses course so its always blowing.
  • Heated Steering Wheel- Nice to have but needs to be warmer(FORScan fix?)
  • Sync4(see also Pros)- Audio and Prompt volumes, frequently volume adjustments get "stuck" changing prompts and require a restart
  • Making New Friends(see also Pros)- Good luck stopping for gas, going to Home Depot, visiting pretty much any parking lot without meeting a lot of new people who have questions, take pictures. The number of people I've chatted with while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic is comical. Its actually pretty cool unless you're in a rush
  • Gas Mileage(see also Pros)- It is what it is, Fuelly currently has me averaging 16.9mpg which is pretty much a perfect match for the EPA estimated 17mpg
  • Keep Your Hands on the Wheel- This warning pops up all the time, so annoying
Pros
  • Power- The 2.7L is more than any normal situation would need. Will I tune it- hell yes. But the 2.3L is probably more than adequate
  • Tracking- On the highway this truck tracks straight as an arrow. So much so that it constantly thinks you're hands are off the wheel(because they don't have to do anything) and warns you to use your hands
  • Front Suspension- Pretty much unfazed by any road imperfection and light offroad obstacles. Maintains excellent composure
  • Overall Ride Quality- Significantly better than I expected from a truck, probably a credit to the front suspension which makes up for the rears shortcomings
  • FordPass App- Remote starting, status checks, dealer contact, super easy and in your pocket at all times
  • Sync4- Overall the 12" screen and function has been great. Clear, responsive, easily connects for wireless CarPlay
  • B&O Stereo- I'm not an Audiophile, so I had the Audiophile friends tune it. Sounds great and even they were happy(though not blown away) with the sound. Too much base and there are some rattles from the cargo area
  • Removeable Top- Front panels are a breeze, 2 minutes by yourself and its done. Center panel is easiest with 2 people but just takes a minute to remove. I usually just leave the panels in the house if I'm not making any stops. The storage bag is a pain.
  • Rear Seat Room- No complaints from average height passengers, plenty of room and comfortable
  • Headlights and Auto-highbeams- Headlights are excellent, bright clear and properly illuminate the road/terrain. The auto-highbeams are awesome, I use them a lot more now that I don't have to toggle the stalk repeatedly, in some instances they could turn off a hair sooner but it hasn't offended anyone yet
  • Cameras- The 360 view and front camera are very useful in some situations, makes a larger vehicle much less intimidating
  • Making New Friends- From connecting with fellow forum members and owners to the strangers asking questions everyone has been awesome. The amount of attention it commands is crazy
  • Gas Mileage- The fact that I'm actually matching the EPA estimate with the way I drive is a miracle, for 35s, brick aero and a heavy foot its pretty good.

Overall I'm thrilled. From a near 400hp AWD Hot Hatch to a lumbering giant it was a big change. I "saw" the Bronco when they did they dealer tour, but hopping into something so drastically different with no behind the wheel experience, and so many unknowns was crazy. But I don't have any regrets. In a straight line I still drive it the same way I did the VW, my highway cruising speeds usually start with an 8(which is kinda go with the flow around here), curves and back roads are a different story, braking earlier and going much slower- but thats to be expected. For what it is I think it handles great, probably has much higher limits than I would ever want to explore(except for braking- tires), maneuvers easily in parking lots and tight places.

I like to drive and have put decent mileage on it already- its been comfortable every step of the way for myself as well as my passengers. The seats, the interior and the ride all melt into the background and go unnoticed as the miles pass, thats the biggest plus, its just a companion along on the adventure with you. None of the cons are show stoppers, minor annoyances but nothing that detracts from all the positives of the experience.

I miss the VW, capable way beyond the performance of most and decently roomy. It just wasn't big enough for my needs anymore. Do I NEED a truck? No. Any crossover would do, they would all get me down the beaten paths I NEED to traverse to get to the trail head or the lake, but I don't think any of them would do it the same way. Now I look for destinations that I couldn't otherwise get to. Theres a connection with the Bronco, it just fits. Its not super polished nor is it meant to be, it can be rough, but it rarely is and never so much so that it becomes a deterrent.

If it never evolves- stays the way it is today, faults and quality issues never get addressed, would I do it again? Right now I would say yes. 5yrs from now might that change- yes. But for now its all and everything I need. It may just be the smiles and experience but its been one hell of a ride.

I've got Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights and fogs on order, probably a tune next year. Later I'll add some random pictures to the thread

Update: Random Bronco and Bronco related pictures added

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 867BD687-F416-4578-8DF2-8EC871820CAB

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 17ED2665-897E-4EEB-A45F-98A06B990AEC

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 78A5B87C-B09A-4BF8-9A18-3D8E34CB9458

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 78F4DF57-4750-4DF4-9801-19FEA0F46CF0

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 2153DFAC-C950-40A7-8B9A-1766474FD343

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 98FB8465-B2A6-4454-9BFB-4FF1078FB4B3

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 565A764F-1200-4902-A604-8E57BCAC3A1A

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review A021D265-34F7-4DD6-9009-7B6E7A376A97

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 3D88E0DA-9299-4578-BBDE-E7F389F99268

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review CA036389-FE38-4B07-BD8B-241B65C28C1B

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review 3C36453B-28DB-41BE-AB67-132201043FF5

Ford Bronco 5500 Mile Wildtrak Review FD2D429D-5571-4646-A78C-9E74DF12949C
Sponsored

Last edited:

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congratulations on finding that perfect fit for your lifestyle. Thanks for the excellent and informative write-up.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great review, thanks. I keep reading reviews which mention squeaks, which is a major concern for me. One of the reasons I'm willing to risk getting a new car is dealing with some of the squeaks in my 20 yr old Cherokee. Hope they are manageable. Glad to see that it is enjoyable to drive, which is also one of my motivations. Thanks again.

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great review, thanks. I keep reading reviews which mention squeaks, which is a major concern for me. One of the reasons I'm willing to risk getting a new car is dealing with some of the squeaks in my 20 yr old Cherokee. Hope they are manageable. Glad to see that it is enjoyable to drive, which is also one of my motivations. Thanks again.

The sound from the tail gate- prior to the cold weather was noticeable to me driving alone. It was random, didn't rely on any bumps, from research here and going over the tail gate multiple times it does seem to relate to the bumpers which support the spare. The way the rubber moves against the steel tailgate. Passengers didn't notice it or thought I was crazy because it was so quiet.

The cold weather noises are loud and annoying. It seems most prevalent when one rear tire hits an imperfection and the other doesn't. When theres a twisting to the rear of the chassis. I'm hopeful the replacement MIC 2.0 will address some of this, but I'll be noting it when I bring it in for the swap. Just got back from lunch and it warmed up to 50* today- no noise :)

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My new Bronco squeaks and rattles way more than my 7 year old diesel super duty. And way more than any new vehicle should.

MOBroncoSTL

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MX-5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. The other car I was considering was a GTI. Your review spoke to me and I appreciate your insights.

calx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '98 Nissan Stagea
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

More or less the same experience here! Came from both a VW GTI and an APR tuned Sportwagen — this is not only my first Ford, but first truck / large SUV in general. I have about ~2500 miles on mine now and thankfully haven't experienced any rattling or the MIC leaking yet. Def miss the rain sensing wipers as well, haha.

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. The other car I was considering was a GTI. Your review spoke to me and I appreciate your insights.
The new MK8 GTI looks pretty good........ the tuning options are endless. If you don't need any ruggedness for off pavement(or prepared dirt/gravel) the GTI is tough to beat. If your interests take you places or would benefit from being able to leave the pavement the Bronco is tough to beat.

I paid off the R the day I got my build date(107k miles). No joke, the day after that I lost timing in the R and destroyed the engine. I didn't have a timing chain issue, but an oil pressure failure(supposedly according to the garage). A car that was otherwise bullet proof ended up costing a ton to repair

Sponsored

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

"Making New Friends- From connecting with fellow forum members and owners to the strangers asking questions everyone has been awesome. The amount of attention it commands is crazy"

Does anybody beside myself think by the time they actually "receive" their Bronco, this won't still be the case?

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"Making New Friends- From connecting with fellow forum members and owners to the strangers asking questions everyone has been awesome. The amount of attention it commands is crazy"

Does anybody beside myself think by the time they actually "receive" their Bronco, this won't still be the case?
In the past two weeks I've started seeing a lot more Broncos on the road here in North Jersey. I saw 1 every 2-3wks, now I'm seeing 2 a week. As the community grows and more people get familiar with it I do see the novelty and newness wearing off. BUT at the same time the bigger the community the more I see people connecting. So in the end I think it'll be the same, just through different means

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is worrisome. At what level does this nonsense come into play? Is it just Lux with the adaptive cruise, or do you get these with high package as well?

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is worrisome. At what level does this nonsense come into play? Is it just Lux with the adaptive cruise, or do you get these with high package as well?
I don't believe its related to lane keeping or ACC- I'm not positive, but its possible its on any/every trim. Seems to pop up when there are zero steering inputs for a few seconds

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted the auto wipers but I wonder if they took that off so that it didn't accidentally wipe mud across the windshield at an inopportune moment?
Sponsored