John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been pondering getting a 1" lift for 33" tires on my non-SAS stock OBX, 2.7 with rear lockers. Some "experts" posit that all i need is a "level" (front 1" lift) to remove the "rake" in my Bronco. When I mentioned that to my dealer, she said their practice & recommendation was to keep the factory geometry and do a simple 1" lift of all four corners.

I looked more closely for the "rake" in my Bronco, and I can't find any. The front and rear wheels are the same distance from the fenders. This is not my F150, where the rear was perpetually, obviously higher than the front. It only got level when towing or carrying a heavy load.

I measured. They're within an 1/8 inch of each other. Granted, i have A heavy Kuat bike rack with a heavy Pivot, a swing-out accessory, and a bike. So with all that gone, I suppose the rear would be a little higher. But, it seems the dealer is correct, that a 4 corner lift would be best. Your thoughts?

Do any Broncos really have "rake"?

20211130_164656.jpg

20211201_143920.jpg
Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still can’t figure out why so many are offended by rake when and if it exists. When it’s there, it’s designed in for a purpose. It’s probably the same reason so many on this forum think K02 tires are the best thing ever. I can’t figure that one out either.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fenders are not a valid hard point to measure a rake on a body design. You need to locate the vehicle on a flat surface and try your best to get an orthographic side view.

Ttp2017

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The non Sasquatch suspension might be different but on the Sasquatch set up there definitely is some rake. I plan on doing a 1in level soon to mine. Here is a comparison picture I found on the forum.
Ford Bronco Broncos "Rake", level vs lift BCFE3F86-A60C-488E-AE83-124C11AEE56C

Sponsored

Ttp2017

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still can’t figure out why so many are offended by rake when and if it exists. When it’s there, it’s designed in for a purpose. It’s probably the same reason so many on this forum think K02 tires are the best thing ever. I can’t figure that one out either.
Rake definitely has a purpose. To help keep the vehicle level when approaching max trailering or load weight. If you do not plan on towing or loading it down with overlanding gear then there is no real purpose or design function for the rake. So it all depends on your particular use of the Bronco.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2000 Mustang would get light on the front end at about 140mph. When I created a rake on the car by lowering the front coil overs, that was alleviated to a degree. The reason is that I had created an aero downforce on the hood surface that counteracted the lift created by air packing in the engine bay. I suspect that the Bronco and trucks in general benefit from those same physics in high speed highway conditions. My guess is that leveling kits probably sacrifice a bit of that high speed stability.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rake definitely has a purpose. To help keep the vehicle level when approaching max trailering or load weight. If you do not plan on towing or loading it down with overlanding gear then there is no real purpose or design function for the rake. So it all depends on your particular use of the Bronco.
Yep agreed and I shake my head when I see leveled, lifted bro trucks occasionally doing what they were meant to do and hauling a load or towing a trailer with the nose up in the air so high I can’t imagine how the driver can keep the rig between the lines. I‘ll admit I did that to one rig I owned but won’t take looks over function again but I guess I’m getting old or maybe more sensible.

That said people buy stuff for different reasons, different strokes and all…..

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you level it, then put any weight on the back, it’s going to look like a dog dragging its ass along carpet...

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still can’t figure out why so many are offended by rake when and if it exists.
It is because the original jeeps, sport utilities, and 4WD trucks were level. The rake look was only common in 2WD trucks because they had a cheap front suspension and were primarily used to haul manure. So the rake look became associated with undesirable girly-man trucks. ;)

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is because the original jeeps, sport utilities, and 4WD trucks were level. The rake look was only common in 2WD trucks because they had a cheap front suspension and were primarily used to haul manure. So the rake look became associated with undesirable girly-man trucks. ;)
I think its more about being "cocky", you know like the dudes who all have the front of their hair go up to make it look like all their stuff points up.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn’t rake also related to pedestrian safety? Not that getting hit by a truck with rake isn’t gonna do something nasty anyway…

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The non Sasquatch suspension might be different but on the Sasquatch set up there definitely is some rake. I plan on doing a 1in level soon to mine. Here is a comparison picture I found on the forum.
Ford Bronco Broncos "Rake", level vs lift BCFE3F86-A60C-488E-AE83-124C11AEE56C
Yes, it does seem from the photo that the SAS has more rake, thanks. Nice color choice! Its like a living color, changes shade with the lighting, day and night!

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Freinds dont let freinds level their trucks! I assume you got the 4 door because you need more than yourself to be transported places. SO if there is a rake, thats what its for.
Correct. I carry a bike, and STUFF. The stuff stays in the back of the truck until i need it. And then there's room to carry extra stuff when I go to the store, or take a trip. So I have some Rake so the truck is level when I carry stuff!
Sponsored