First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey so this will be my first new car, I've always owned older vehicles as daily drivers and not cared for them as I've had projects.

This will be my first daily and project...so I'll be driving it year round, including up here in the New England winter's...with all that salt!!!

I plan on washing it weekly at a minimum but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on protecting it from the elements, will dealers be offering an undercoating or am I better looking for someone local to do it?

Cheers
Ash
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Following. I'm in the same boat. First vehicle that will be worth taking care of. My Ranger is on the verge of not being road worthy after 12 years. It's pretty much rotten. I'd like to keep my Bronco for as long as possible. My Ranger spent most of it's life on the ocean in Nova Scotia. Luckily I live in the prairies now where there is no salt in the air and far less on the roads but I'd still like to protect it as well as possible.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey so this will be my first new car, I've always owned older vehicles as daily drivers and not cared for them as I've had projects.

This will be my first daily and project...so I'll be driving it year round, including up here in the New England winter's...with all that salt!!!

I plan on washing it weekly at a minimum but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on protecting it from the elements, will dealers be offering an undercoating or am I better looking for someone local to do it?

Cheers
Ash

My experience with this is that the dealer can sell you a protection, it's a coating that looks thicker than the usual rustproofing treatment they say it last for 10 years. It's expensive usually close to 1k, and they usually finance it, so it cost you even more since you pay for it with the car. That being said if you can have it for free or have a deal and pay apart from your financing then would be good. (because they do it on a new clean car) it's actually one of the sale pitch!

Still with this kind of vehicle if you are going places where you can get damage under you should have it treated with professional rustproofing every year. I have good luck with it.

also you can have a look under from time to time and gravel guard the damage.

OP
OP
Proudy202

Proudy202

Black Diamond
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My experience with this is that the dealer can sell you a protection, it's a coating that looks thicker than the usual rustproofing treatment they say it last for 10 years. It's expensive usually close to 1k, and they usually finance it, so it cost you even more since you pay for it with the car. That being said if you can have it for free or have a deal and pay apart from your financing then would be good. (because they do it on a new clean car) it's actually one of the sale pitch!

Still with this kind of vehicle if you are going places where you can get damage under you should have it treated with professional rustproofing every year. I have good luck with it.

also you can have a look under from time to time and gravel guard the damage.
That's a good plan, start with dealer on a fresh clean underbody, then regular "touchups" sounds good.

I'm one for getting my hands dirty so will likely be wrenching on it regular (although a new car the extent of the wrenching may just be fitting lights and tire rotation haha) so I'll be having a look over it often...I do that every few weeks on the rusty as 2003 Grand Cherokee I'm driving now so something I care for will definitely get it ?

Ash

GetBucked

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This will be my first off-road capable daily/project as well. I live in Michigan so i am also familiar with the salt tearing vehicles apart as time goes on.
I am planning to get it undercoated to help prevent this. I am also going to purchase an undercarriage sprayer attachment for my pressure washer. This will make washing under the Bronco A TON easier. It wont get everything, but it sure will help!

Link for the undercarriage I am going to order:
https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-undercarriage-cleaner
$149 isn't exactly cheap... but then again, neither is replacing all the rusted out parts.

Sponsored

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in Colorado now, where cars aren't eaten alive like they are back in Illinois where I came from. I still want to think about rust though, as I plan on driving the Bronco forever.

Fluid Film seemed to be a popular choice for the Jeep crowd in Illinois ... and when it comes to rust prevention, I trust the opinion of Jeep owners ?. You apply it once a year, and if you check out some YouTube reviews, the results seem impressive.

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm thinking fluid film also. As long as I can see the undercarriage through the film, then I know what's going on with it. My current Wrangler was undercoated with a thick black coating and all it did was trap moisture between the metal parts and the undercoating. Do any wheeling that scrapes that undercoating and you invite moisture to get into those scrapes. Then the rust starts to form from the inside out and you won't be able to see it until it's too late.

Last edited:

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had Ziebart rust protection on my Excursion and I had to take it in once a year at some ridiculous charge. I wasn't a big fan of it since any time I had to work on something under the truck, I had this black crap I had to deal with. If you didn't take it in every year, they would void the warranty.

I plan on going through a car wash 1 a week that sprays the underbody. Most of the body is aluminum so the frame is the only thing I should have to worry about.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had Ziebart rust protection on my Excursion and I had to take it in once a year at some ridiculous charge. I wasn't a big fan of it since any time I had to work on something under the truck, I had this black crap I had to deal with. If you didn't take it in every year, they would void the warranty.

I plan on going through a car wash 1 a week that sprays the underbody. Most of the body is aluminum so the frame is the only thing I should have to worry about.
That was the other thing I forgot to mention. That black crap is the worst when you have to wrench on anything!

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Google Fluid Film
This, woolwax or fluid film; woolwax is slightly thicker so may adhere longer. Check out the professional spray gun package (around $150) and spray every November. Since the panels are aluminum the job with jack stands or a lift would be very quick.

Never spray undercoating from dealer or otherwise, as soon as rust starts from damage to undercoating it will continue under the coating

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This, woolwax or fluid film
Just spent the last two hours researching these. Looks like a solid plan IF you have access to a lift.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have used WURTH high-build underbody sealer on many of my vehicles. It's been fantastic to use and i'm guessing that it would take about 4 bottles to do the frame, wheel wells and undercarriage of a Bronco.

It's like your first home run, it sprays out pretty darn quick and catches all parties off guard. So you'll want safety McGloggles, double-layer hand protection, ear plugs in all orifices and at least 3 beers in your system before you start. Test in an inconspicuous place to get a feel for how it shoots out.

Simple items such as a stiff piece of cardboard work well to protect areas you don't want spray. On frames, I unclip, pull aside and mask off all the looms of wires that I don't want coated, and use q-tips pushed into holes where plastic clips go so they don't get sealed.

Made in Canada, so there is probably moose blood and Labatt Blue in there somewhere...

Wurth High Build underbody seal

Update: Found a video of the stuff in action. Note that they are using a commercial sized can with compressor. You'll be getting commercial spray cans if you go this direction. It sprays out just as fast as in this video, and it "builds" (expands) slightly which fills in spaces/gaps and once dried for 24 hours gives a tough, rubbery textured surface that protects your metal.

Video of Wurth underseal being sprayed
Sponsored

Last edited: