SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All Raptors come with short bed >> 5'6" and it only comes with 4.1 ... there is no choice
4.1 with torsen is an option on the ford site, that is what i meant
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The bronco will also have AWD
The Raptor's mechanical LSD gives it an advantage in bad weather conditions and during acceleration where you wouldn't have the rear locked. There's been no mention of limited slips on the Bronco, so it's either an open diff with the computer using the brakes to shuffle power around, or it's locked.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not sure what you are talking about BUT the Raptor has rear wheel drive as the default. And then you have the option to put it into 4WD. It also has "4A" ... in 4A, when it detects lack of traction to the rear wheels then it will engage AWD in that the front wheels will get power.

Based on my understanding, the Bronco will be the same with:

2H >> rear wheel
4H >> 4wd .. never do this on dry roads
4L >> only when extreme traction is needed
4A >> this is awd on the fly
“It also has "4A" ... in 4A, when it detects lack of traction to the rear wheels then it will engage AWD in that the front wheels will get power.”

Yes that is auto 4wd which is far removed from All wheel drive.

All wheel drive is always 60/40 split, it is a proactive system

Auto 4 wheel drive is 50/50 split only for a couple seconds when slip is detected it is a reactive system.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I understand .. BUT 4A .. the way Ford designed is better .. why? It only turns 4 wheels when it needs it which results in better fuel economy.

“It also has "4A" ... in 4A, when it detects lack of traction to the rear wheels then it will engage AWD in that the front wheels will get power.”

Auto 4 wheel drive is 50/50 split only for a couple seconds when slip is detected it is a reactive system.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The majority of AWD systems are reactive too. Most of them are front wheel drive until slipping is detected and then power gets sent to the rear. There are some exceptions like Subaru, etc

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand .. BUT 4A .. the way Ford designed is better .. why? It only turns 4 wheels when it needs it which results in better fuel economy.
Okay and? GM has done this exact same thing since 2002. It’s still not AWD by any stretch.

Does it have merit? Sure, in fact I have a lot of experience with auto 4wd, I also have a lot of experience with true 60/40 AWD. They both have their uses but functionally one is clearly proactive and the other is reactive.

Functionally speaking an AWD truck send the power to the front axle a split second before the rear axle.
Auto 4wd does not send power until slip is detected. Which means engine power must be retarted at that time if too much throttle is occurring.

Your analogy about being on a snowy road has an issue. If your driving along at 50MPH and your rear end starts slipping it’s already too late for your front end to save the day. That’s 99% in the tires.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The majority of AWD systems are reactive too. Most of them are front wheel drive until slipping is detected and then power gets sent to the rear. There are some exceptions like Subaru, etc
I’m talking about real truck based transfer case AWD systems not car based, those are almost all huge POS.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
LOL! I am not saying to flip it to 4A when you are already in the ditch.

I am telling you that it works great. Actually there are raptor guys who have tuned their trucks and engage 4A when they want ultimate traction .. like at the drag strip

OK ... you win!

:)

Okay and? GM has done this exact same thing since 2002. It’s still not AWD by any stretch.

Does it have merit? Sure, in fact I have a lot of experience with auto 4wd, I also have a lot of experience with true 60/40 AWD. They both have their uses but functionally one is clearly proactive and the other is reactive.

Functionally speaking an AWD truck send the power to the front axle a split second before the rear axle.
Auto 4wd does not send power until slip is detected. Which means engine power must be retarted at that time if too much throttle is occurring.

Your analogy about being on a snowy road has an issue. If your driving along at 50MPH and your rear end starts slipping it’s already too late for your front end to save the day. That’s 99% in the tires.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
LOL! I am not saying to flip it to 4A when you are already in the ditch.

I am telling you that it works great. Actually there are raptor guys who have tuned their trucks and engage 4A when they want ultimate traction .. like at the drag strip

OK ... you win!

:)
You guys actually had me really excited for a second I thought the Raptor actually had true AWD. AWD can be very fun in a large truck.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bronco will also have AWD

1596217281404.png
I don't think Bronco has AWD. The 4A for bronco is only on-demand switching between 2H/4H. Not true full-time AWD with split front/rear torque like the 2017+ Raptor's 4A mode.

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? 1596229556704

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
what is the 4A switch for then?

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? 1596229921169

I don't think Bronco has AWD. The 4A for bronco is only on-demand switching between 2H/4H. Not true full-time AWD with split front/rear torque like the 2017+ Raptor's 4A mode.

1596229556704.png

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys actually had me really excited for a second I thought the Raptor actually had true AWD. AWD can be very fun in a large truck.
The 2017+ Raptor has true AWD (computer-controlled split front/rear torque and front torsen).

The transfer case is actually dual mode. AWD or fully-locked 4H (best of both worlds). The street performance is significantly improved in AWD mode.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what is the 4A switch for then?

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? 1596229921169
It enables the auto 4H mode. On wheel slip it switches to 4H.

For 2017+ Raptor, they reused the older dash switches and didn't change the label. On older Raptors, 4A is Auto4h. On newer Raptors it is AWD.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For 2017+ Raptor, they reused the older dash switches and didn't change the label. On older Raptors, 4A is Auto4h. On newer Raptors it is AWD.
Articles on 2017+ Raptor's dual-mode AWD:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12463441/ford-raptor-has-awd-and-4wd/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/4wd-vs-awd-the-ford-f-150-raptor-has-both/

https://thenewswheel.com/ford-f-150...-case-makes-it-monstrously-powerful-off-road/

Last edited:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
when you say newer raptors .. what do you mean?

I have a 2019 and I have 4A

Sponsored