First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 bronco xlt 5 speed manual, 2020 f350 tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The saleman from the dealer I ordered my badlands from called me this morning. He said they had a base 2 door show up yesterday. I went down to have a look and take it for a test drive. It was a silver base with no options and it had the 4 cylinder engine and the 7 speed manual transmission. First thing I looked at was the top and it looked good. The seat were comfortable and the interior has a simple clean look to it. The 8" screen is plenty big and I wouldnt want a bigger screen. I was the first person to drive it and the first thing I noticed was no wind noise. Now I know alot of people are concerned about power. I will tell you there is no lack of power. Once the turbo spools up it pulls hard. It seamed to spool up and pull hard once I shifted into 3rd gear. It handled great and the ride felt great on the hiway. Obviously I didnt get a chance to run it up a logging road or trail so I can't comment on how it is in any rough roads. If the base had lockers front and rear in non- sas form I would have bought that base. I dont think anyone with the 4 cylinder and the manual is going to be disappointed regardless of trim level. The build quality looked excellent. Also under the hood the 4 cylinder has a much cleaner look then the 6 cylinder. It should be a little more simple for those of us that do our own mainenance.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also under the hood the 4 cylinder has a much cleaner look then the 6 cylinder. It should be a little more simple for those of us that do our own mainenance.
That right there is like 50% of the reason I got the 4. It's physically small and the inline configuration makes repairs and maintenance so much easier than V engines.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank You, TD! Your affirmation is music to my years.

Fowler

Base
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Got 650 miles on mine it is just perfect. Only mod. was Nexen 285-75-R16 Radain At , 33" tires on stock steel rims.

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
The saleman from the dealer I ordered my badlands from called me this morning. He said they had a base 2 door show up yesterday. I went down to have a look and take it for a test drive. It was a silver base with no options and it had the 4 cylinder engine and the 7 speed manual transmission. First thing I looked at was the top and it looked good. The seat were comfortable and the interior has a simple clean look to it. The 8" screen is plenty big and I wouldnt want a bigger screen. I was the first person to drive it and the first thing I noticed was no wind noise. Now I know alot of people are concerned about power. I will tell you there is no lack of power. Once the turbo spools up it pulls hard. It seamed to spool up and pull hard once I shifted into 3rd gear. It handled great and the ride felt great on the hiway. Obviously I didnt get a chance to run it up a logging road or trail so I can't comment on how it is in any rough roads. If the base had lockers front and rear in non- sas form I would have bought that base. I dont think anyone with the 4 cylinder and the manual is going to be disappointed regardless of trim level. The build quality looked excellent. Also under the hood the 4 cylinder has a much cleaner look then the 6 cylinder. It should be a little more simple for those of us that do our own mainenance.
I love mine more than i could have imagined...

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, this isn't to dunk on the base 2.3, because I think that it's an amazing value now (especially in a 2 door base 2.3 with sasquatch - manual or auto).

It isn't the same level of nice as the higher trim models (especially OBX and above) with the high and lux packages. It's not even close in some ways. You might enjoy the 8" screen, unless you have lived with the 12" screen. You will feel like the 2.3 has plenty of power, unless you have spent a bunch of time with the 2.7 engine. You might even not care about the other GOAT modes or Swaybar Disconnect in the Badlands. Those additional features are really very nice to have - overpriced, but certainly well executed (especially the adaptive cruise control).

The good news is that many of the shortcomings can be easily addressed like nicer interior materials - aftermarket, more GOAT modes - FORSCAN, power - aftermarket tunes, heated seats - aftermarket, bigger or additional displays - available. So, if you are willing to roll your own, ya... I can see where a 2.3 base sasquatch would be more than acceptable.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, this isn't to dunk on the base 2.3, because I think that it's an amazing value now (especially in a 2 door base 2.3 with sasquatch - manual or auto).

It isn't the same level of nice as the higher trim models (especially OBX and above) with the high and lux packages. It's not even close in some ways. You might enjoy the 8" screen, unless you have lived with the 12" screen. You will feel like the 2.3 has plenty of power, unless you have spent a bunch of time with the 2.7 engine. You might even not care about the other GOAT modes or Swaybar Disconnect in the Badlands. Those additional features are really very nice to have - overpriced, but certainly well executed (especially the adaptive cruise control).

The good news is that many of the shortcomings can be easily addressed like nicer interior materials - aftermarket, more GOAT modes - FORSCAN, power - aftermarket tunes, heated seats - aftermarket, bigger or additional displays - available. So, if you are willing to roll your own, ya... I can see where a 2.3 base sasquatch would be more than acceptable.
Not to dunk on the base....but I'm going to dunk on the base. LOL

Is it a feature or a flaw? For many, less is more, and the "features" are clutter and not shortcomings. For others, they needs the stuff.

The base is more than a great value, it is a great vehicle.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not to dunk on the base....but I'm going to dunk on the base. LOL

Is it a feature or a flaw? For many, less is more, and the "features" are clutter and not shortcomings. For others, they needs the stuff.

The base is more than a great value, it is a great vehicle.
A stripped base has plenty of features that make it more attractive in the market, Jeep is the one that really strips their vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the fact that some of want the extra "clutter" that a stripped 2.3 base doesn't have. I fail to see how heated seats, a bigger engine, lockers, decent tires, and even better lights count as clutter.

Your argument almost suggests that the base might have been better with no cruise control, no AC, no power locks, no power windows, and lower quality lights. Like the competition from Jeep.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A stripped base has plenty of features that make it more attractive in the market, Jeep is the one that really strips their vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the fact that some of want the extra "clutter" that a stripped 2.3 base doesn't have. I fail to see how heated seats, a bigger engine, lockers, decent tires, and even better lights count as clutter.

Your argument almost suggests that the base might have been better with no cruise control, no AC, no power locks, no power windows, and lower quality lights. Like the competition from Jeep.
I'd be fine without power door locks and power windows. But I'm not fine without lockers. Ford claimed the base had all the basics, but it's missing the option to add even a rear locker. 🙁

So Basemansquatch it is. It's the only way to get front and rear lockers for under 40k.😁

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

t seamed to spool up and pull hard once I shifted into 3rd gear.
I dont think anyone with the 4 cylinder and the manual is going to be disappointed regardless of trim level.
It handled great and the ride felt great on the hiway.
4500 miles on mine .... I agree with all of this.
This motor likes to pull. Reminds me of the old GM TPI motors, the harder the load, the stronger they ran.
It feels like 3rd gear is the magic gear for passing.
2500 is where it likes to be on the hiways. I don't bother with 6th gear unless I'm over 70+ mph or the road is really clear. If I have to deal with traffic under 70, it works better in 5th.

Apparently some folks think this is the only vehicle we have ever driven and are therefore I'll equipped to make judgement calls.

It's all relative. If you are used to everything a brand new Corvette offers, even a topped out Wildtrack will feel like a dump truck in comparison.... except for maybe ride quality on harsh roads.

I think a lot of people fear a 4 banger in a 4500lb SUV will accelerate like a 1977 Honda CVCC.
I can assure you, that is not the case.​

Ford Bronco I got to drive a base 2 door. It was awsome 1977-honda-civic-5-speed

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It depends on your use case. A base bronco completely stock is more capable than most other AWD vehicles out there. And it has more features than a Jeep for the same price.

A base with Sasquatch and becomes an incredible value for the performance it can provide which no one can beat.

And any Bronco has tremendous aftermarket opportunities for people to outfit their bronco exactly how they want it.

I will say that Ford is historically skimpy on features in their base vehicles. I bet the Bronco team had to fight tooth and nail to get all Bronco's getting 4WD. I don't know why they continue to make heated seats something you need to pay an extra $3000 for. But whatever, there is a healthy aftermarket for those. For me it's not the cost, it's the value.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not arguing people get a Flintstone car, just that we are have different opinions about whether additions are features or flaws.

The answer to your question is not a collective one but based on the individual.

I could have gotten any model I wanted, but the BD non-sas was where my line was drawn. For others, that line is Base or Badlands

SmartyJones

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 4Runner Trd Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2 dr Sasquatch is an amazing animal! Try it 😜🍻