Sponsored

Broncos Broken @ Off-Roadeo (I broke a CV shaft or joint)

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if anyone else has broken a Bronco or seen a broken Bronco at an off-roadeo.

On Dec 9th at Nevada I broke what was presumed to be a CV shaft or joint.

Lost 4 wheel drive completely. Were able to get Bronco shut off and back on to get it to think it had 4 wheel drive, but only driver front wheel turning.

Was being guided at the time it happened and was assured I did nothing wrong. Bronco had 450 HARD miles on it.

Saw a post on Facebook yesterday of another Bronco (not at off-roadeo) that shattered a CV cup and wondered about any others.
Sponsored

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if anyone else has broken a Bronco or seen a broken Bronco at an off-roadeo.

On Dec 9th at Nevada I broke what was presumed to be a CV shaft or joint.

Lost 4 wheel drive completely. Were able to get Bronco shut off and back on to get it to think it had 4 wheel drive, but only driver front wheel turning.

Was being guided at the time it happened and was assured I did nothing wrong. Bronco had 450 HARD miles on it.

Saw a post on Facebook yesterday of another Bronco (not at off-roadeo) that shattered a CV cup and wondered about any others.
Was it a Cyber Orange Bronco? I saw one on the 10th in the Service Dept. at Team Ford here in Vegas. It had the Bronco Off Rodeo sticker on the side.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Being at the Vegas Off Roadeo, they are beat by a lot of drivers who don't know anything about off-roading. when I was there lots of folks going way too fast and slamming the broncos around. Not surprised at all that some will break.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was it a Cyber Orange Bronco? I saw one on the 10th in the Service Dept. at Team Ford here in Vegas. It had the Bronco Off Rodeo sticker on the side.
It was not. Red OBX

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being at the Vegas Off Roadeo, they are beat by a lot of drivers who don't know anything about off-roading. when I was there lots of folks going way too fast and slamming the broncos around. Not surprised at all that some will break.
I'm definitely taking that into account, but also would like to understand weak points I should watch for with my own Bronco. Efforts to strengthen those areas start with understanding where they are.

Like the steering rack issues that have been uncovered. Will most people have a problem? Not likely. Is it good to know it's a potential weak area and that it can be strengthened? IMO Yes.

Sponsored

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Damn that’s a good idea! Go have a blast and trash the Bronco on Fords dime. I like it!

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm definitely taking that into account, but also would like to understand weak points I should watch for with my own Bronco. Efforts to strengthen those areas start with understanding where they are.

Like the steering rack issues that have been uncovered. Will most people have a problem? Not likely. Is it good to know it's a potential weak area and that it can be strengthened? IMO Yes.
OH yea for sure, just wanted to point out that the life those bronco's have lived are not simulated to real life, everyday, common usage. Unless you live on a mountain and that's your daily commute. As fun as that would be.

Sponsored

Calicorks

Badlands
First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I went to the NV rodeo, the red 4 door lost access to the lockers and was 4WD only. The workers kept saying it’s nothing and let the poor guy continue the entire day that way. It made it, but I was a bit set back to have a brand new Bronco having issues.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I went to the NV rodeo, the red 4 door lost access to the lockers and was 4WD only. The workers kept saying it’s nothing and let the poor guy continue the entire day that way. It made it, but I was a bit set back to have a brand new Bronco having issues.
Interesting... It died on 12/9 this past Thursday. Probably why they said something along the lines of "Yeah people turn on the lockers then forget to turn them off which is REALLY hard on the components."

Sounds like they might have been doing more than guessing.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I was at Nevada Off-Roadeo on Nov 12 someone slipped off a rock and smashed the passenger side of a velocity blue 2dr Base near the end of the day. Looked like a couple thousand worth of damage at least. That extra insurance is worth every penny if you end up breaking anything. Luckily I didn't need to use that insurance. But I'm surprised there wasn't more damaged Broncos there. The way some people drive those things on the trail, its amazing they survive more than a few days at those events.

Deleted member 19285

Mine died 100 yards down the first NH dirt road -- think a valve dropped. It made an awful metal banging noise and totally died. Couldn't turn it over, it would only click.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine died 100 yards down the first NH dirt road -- think a valve dropped. It made an awful metal banging noise and totally died. Couldn't turn it over, it would only click.
Sucks to hear that. I feel for you.
Sponsored