Sponsored

2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please!

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the argument the fanboyzz make that this forum is a small percentage/representation of bronco owners so it’s probably not an issue at all. That makes absolutely ZERO sense! If this forum is a small percentage and we have 12 REPORTED blown engines, that could actually mean a way bigger problem than we even know! And it’s not like there are thousands of 2.7 broncos out there to begin with.

But that’s why this thread is here- collect data and find out as best we can if there is or isn’t a widespread problem. Ford certainly won’t come forward.
I'm not a Ford fanboy and this is only the 2nd Ford I've ever owned. This is definitely a real problem and total bullshit to even have to worry about it on a new vehicle. That said, there are literally tens of thousands of these on the road now. 2.7 is by far the more popular engine choice.
Sponsored

jeremy.wilson237

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Ford Super duty, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21214
Engine Sequence Number: 131422
Mileage of failed motor: 2012
Cause of failure: Valve/Ford answer
Replacement Part Number: N/A
New Engine Julian Date: N/A
New Engine Sequence Number: N/A

Ok, it's about time to start this thread. We need to start tracking which engines are dropping valves, otherwise, it's not gonna happen.

If you have a failed motor, here is what we are looking to track:

Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA (example: Engine)
Engine Julian Date: 21XXX
Engine Sequence Number: (last 6 digits of the serial number)
Mileage of failed motor: 2312.0 (example)
Cause of failure: Best guess/Ford answer
Replacement Part Number: MB3Z-6006-A
New Engine Julian Date: 21XXX (if replaced)
New Engine Sequence Number: (if replaced)

If your motor hasn't failed or isn't a replacement for a failed motor, please do not post its serial number here, but feel free to join in the discussion.

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21214
Engine Sequence Number: 131422
Mileage of failed motor: 2012
Cause of failure: Valve/Ford answer
Replacement Part Number: N/A
New Engine Julian Date: N/A
New Engine Sequence Number: N/A
I hope your replacement goes better than mine has so far. Sunday will be 5 weeks since mine took a dump. For past 3 weeks the Ford Rep has told me they are waiting on parts, the parts were delivered, then they're still waiting on one part, and three times i've heard it will be ready next week. Tuesday she assured me it would be ready by end of the week. Today she called and said they're still working on it...probably next week!

jeremy.wilson237

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Ford Super duty, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hope your replacement goes better than mine has so far. Sunday will be 5 weeks since mine took a dump. For past 3 weeks the Ford Rep has told me they are waiting on parts, the parts were delivered, then they're still waiting on one part, and three times i've heard it will be ready next week. Tuesday she assured me it would be ready by end of the week. Today she called and said they're still working on it...probably next week!

Parts manager told me that the replacement oil cooler is on back order till mid February so my hopes aren’t up about getting it soon

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Parts manager told me that the replacement oil cooler is on back order till mid February so my hopes aren’t up about getting it soon
A replacement oil cooler for a dropped valve? Hmmm, sounds like detonation more than a dropped valve. A dropped valve would not corrupt the entire oil system... A destroyed rod bearing from detonation on the other hand... Well.

It could also be Ford just being cautious. Also, is there a separate oil cooler on the Bronco?

Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A replacement oil cooler for a dropped valve? Hmmm, sounds like detonation more than a dropped valve. A dropped valve would not corrupt the entire oil system... A destroyed rod bearing from detonation on the other hand... Well.

It could also be Ford just being cautious. Also, is there a separate oil cooler on the Bronco?
If detonation is a prime suspect in these failures, could be the timing is off. Wouldn't the engine be making noise in this case?🤔
Also, timing issues in a new vehicle... wtf

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If detonation is a prime suspect in these failures, could be the timing is off. Wouldn't the engine be making noise in this case?🤔
Also, timing issues in a new vehicle... wtf
I am suspecting that one set of injectors are not firing under light loads. Pre-ignition may be hard to hear, but very destructive - especially with "light load", cruising, and with the radio turned up.

I don't think that it's a timing issue, but certainly an option.

ChadJohnson

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One week ago today my 2.7 failed and left me stranded in the road. No warnings, it just stopped running and will not restart. Dealership says that it needs a new engine.

20211210_201645.jpg

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One week ago today my 2.7 failed and left me stranded in the road. No warnings, it just stopped running and will not restart. Dealership says that it needs a new engine.

20211210_201645.jpg
When did you take delivery? How many miles?

ChadJohnson

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When did you take delivery? How many miles?
It was a very early build. Then held for hardtop replacement. Finally took delivery in October. 6 weeks later and less than 3000 miles the engine needs replacement.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

20211210_201645.jpg

No reason why it needs a new engine (eco, normal, sport, baja)? What mode and octane fuel were you using?

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"Don't worry, it's just a small percentage of the 2.7's" - said every Ford apologist.

I really want to know what octane and modes this is happening in. I wonder if I started running eco mode on 87 octane, if I might find out for myself what is going on?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! 20211210_201645
Sorry to hear. Best of luck with getting it back in a timely matter.

@Ford Motor Company what say you?

Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! A47C021C-8A9C-49A4-B142-B77BB791BBEF

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
"Don't worry, it's just a small percentage of the 2.7's" - said every Ford apologist.

I really want to know what octane and modes this is happening in. I wonder if I started running eco mode on 87 octane, if I might find out for myself what is going on?
Was running top tier 87 octane in normal drive mode when my took a dump.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah- I cannot understand why some want to sweep issues under the rug. I guess it’s all good until it’s yours. Right now we’re choosing between brake failures on the 2.3 and blown engines in the 2.7. I’m sticking with the 2.7 as I’d rather blow an engine than lose brakes with my family in the bronco.
But you know- if you point out any potential issues, you’re a Jeep fanboy or troll.
Sponsored