Sponsored

2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please!

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was running top tier 87 octane in normal drive mode when my took a dump.
Cool. I am going to start running mine on 87 Octane and see if I can detect or duplicate the failure. I have some pretty sensitive knock sensing equipment from back when I was running a dyno shop, and I am pretty sure that if it's a fueling failure, due to mode, it won't take long to find out. I have always been running sport mode with 93 (or 91) octane depending on the altitude. Every failure to date has been reported to be under cruise conditions.

Unfortunately, @Ford Motor Company won't say anything, will you @Ford Motor Company?

It sure would be better if @Ford Motor Company had anything to say - to include whether or not there was an explanation, lack of an explanation, data for use to save, or any recommendations? Instead of treating us like the enemy, they might consider treating us like part of the family. Treating us as part of family would certainly be a gesture of goodwill that would likely help us accept the difficulties that often accompany a newly launched vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah- I cannot understand why some want to sweep issues under the rug. I guess it’s all good until it’s yours. Right now we’re choosing between brake failures on the 2.3 and blown engines in the 2.7. I’m sticking with the 2.7 as I’d rather blow an engine than lose brakes with my family in the bronco.
But you know- if you point out any potential issues, you’re a Jeep fanboy or troll.
Well said!

Personally, I would much rather be working collaboratively with Ford in resolving any issues. I don't want Ford to suffer, I would much rather see the Bronco (and Ford) succeed.

I would much prefer to not blow a motor, but if I am going to suffer a motor failure, well... Let's do it and get past it. Acting like this isn't happening, trying to blame the customer (like the Dealership tried to do with the first blown motor reported here - dealership initially blamed sand). First year model problems happen, I get that, how Ford handles these problems matters.

I just wish that they would communicate... Even if it was to say that they didn't have enough failures to start investigating.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well said!

Personally, I would much rather be working collaboratively with Ford in resolving any issues. I don't want Ford to suffer, I would much rather see the Bronco (and Ford) succeed.

I would much prefer to not blow a motor, but if I am going to suffer a motor failure, well... Let's do it and get past it. Acting like this isn't happening, trying to blame the customer (like the Dealership tried to do with the first blown motor reported here - dealership initially blamed sand). First year model problems happen, I get that, how Ford handles these problems matters.

I just wish that they would communicate... Even if it was to say that they didn't have enough failures to start investigating.
1) Every car company has failed engines. 2) No company issues communication on those failures unless they have a recall.

The general public has no idea there is any issue with Bronco engines, nor do the VAST majority of Bronco owners…Ford would be absolutely insane to bring attention to it because a couple of dudes on a forum who heard about an issue think they should…not happening. It’s isolated, Ford will take care of those problems that have popped up…and no, they would never address something that affects so few. No company would.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) Every car company has failed engines. 2) No company issues communication on those failures unless they have a recall.

The general public has no idea there is any issue with Bronco engines, nor do the VAST majority of Bronco owners…Ford would be absolutely insane to bring attention to it because a couple of dudes on a forum who heard about an issue think they should…not happening. It’s isolated, Ford will take care of those problems that have popped up…and no, they would never address something that affects so few. No company would.
So you know it’s isolated? Do you know lots of current bronco owners currently? My point is we don’t know either way. There’s at least 10-12 on this forum alone and this is a small sample of owners. If there are 10-12 from this forum alone, how many are out in the general population? We don’t know. And you don’t either.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you know it’s isolated? Do you know lots of current bronco owners currently? My point is we don’t know either way. There’s at least 10-12 on this forum alone and this is a small sample of owners. If there are 10-12 from this forum alone, how many are out in the general population? We don’t know. And you don’t either.
You claimed you did know…to the point that you think Ford should issue a corporate communication…thanks for admitting you have no idea of the scope. I know enough to know it’s rare…and I haven’t seen 10-12 on this forum either. The “tracking thread” has 5 on the tracking post and i think there was one more and that’s amongst thousands of owners. High enough to be usual and have Ford address internally?Probably. High enough to be worrisome for people buying or owners (like me), or for the general public to ever be aware?…nah….

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You claimed you did know…to the point that you think Ford should issue a corporate communication…thanks for admitting you have no idea of the scope. I know enough to know it’s rare…and I haven’t seen 10-12 on this forum either. The “tracking thread” has 5 on the tracking post and i think there was one more and that’s amongst thousands of owners. High enough to be usual and have Ford address internally, probably. High enough to be worrisome for people buying or owners (like me), or for the general public to ever be aware…nah….
Actually I’ve never said anything like that. I’ve said I think it’s a great idea to collect data that we know of and see what it looks like. We don’t know yet either way if it’s an issue or not.

And more than a few people have noticed 10-12 on this forum alone. Not all of them are in this thread. I’ve seen a couple over on BN too. Couple on Facebook. Not many are on this forum. So essentially, there is zero harm in collecting data and seeing where it leads. I know that’s tough for the fanboy crowd.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually I’ve never said anything like that. I’ve said I think it’s a great idea to collect data that we know of and see what it looks like. We don’t know yet either way if it’s an issue or not.

And more than a few people have noticed 10-12 on this forum alone. Not all of them are in this thread. I’ve seen a couple over on BN too. Couple on Facebook. Not many are on this forum. So essentially, there is zero harm in collecting data and seeing where it leads. I know that’s tough for the fanboy crowd.
I like seeing the data…it was just ridiculous to demand general communication from Ford. However, you stating there are 10-12 on this forum with no data, is not “data”. This is supposed to be a tracking thread with consolidated data on that early post…of which there are 5 reports. If there are more real ones (not third hand accounts from friends who heard from friends who know people who heard about it on Facebook), then have people post and add them.

You making up numbers and then amazingly claiming you like “data” and then claiming anyone disputing your made up number is a fan boy is less helpful.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m following the data in this thread. If others don’t add theirs I have no control. Some are probably not forum regulars. I have seen more than the 5 collected so far. Why they haven’t been included I do not know. I’ve also seen a handful of reports about possible brake failures in the 2.3’s. But I suppose we should ignore that too?
It doesn’t mean there is a huge issue- in either case. But I feel it’s a good idea to collect what we know and see and not just blindly dismiss it. Some blindly act like there is a massive issue. Some blindly act like it’s nothing. I’m in the middle. I don’t know either way. But let’s try to find out.

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Whats the data on build dates/Julian dates, of these 2.7s with said failure??? And what is the clean point certified date when PCA was implemented???

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

JFC dude. What is your deal? Seriously. What is it about crowdsourcing information you hate so much?? Too much Ford stock?? Maybe diversify.

Crowdsourcing on this forum solved the loose coolant hose issue where many took steps to resolve and avoided problems(like stalled on a freeway…can you say liability).

Now current and future bronco owners may do a search for issues and that B6G thread shows up on Google and they can remedy on own. One of a number of matters discussed that were insignificant at the time.

Ford just had major recall for Bronco Sport for a brake issue. How do you think that happened? One person reported it, then another, and another. That’s what this is. This thread is invaluable and free information for Ford. They shouldn’t ignore it. But maybe you should.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a shame that this grassroots effort didn't take hold. It was a worthy endeavor to bring attention to the matter and try and determine a common denominator that leads to the failure. Some only point to the initial post of 5 detailed reports, but as we have seen on this forum that not everyone consolidates the information on a single thread nor updates the initial post. Ideally, the thread would have been pinned and the initial post made as a wiki so others could edit/update the data.

For anyone who is still interested, there were 2 more failures reported on FB groups in the past 48 hours. Good thing for the owners that the issue is covered under warranty.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's a shame that this grassroots effort didn't take hold. It was a worthy endeavor to bring attention to the matter and try and determine a common denominator that leads to the failure. Some only point to the initial post of 5 detailed reports, but as we have seen on this forum that not everyone consolidates the information on a single thread nor updates the initial post. Ideally, the thread would have been pinned and the initial post made as a wiki so others could edit/update the data.

For anyone who is still interested, there were 2 more failures reported on FB groups in the past 48 hours. Good thing for the owners that the issue is covered under warranty.
Agreed. Some of our threads draw enough attention to hit the "prime time"... This one didn't seem to do it unfortunately.

On my checklist, I plan on taking a picture of the engine sticker ahead of time just in case.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s possibly due to the response they received from Ford fanboyz who take any opportunity to jump all over anyone who expresses frustration with any kind of issue with the bronco. They got labeled as Jeep trolls or whining about nothing, etc. Yes- it’s covered by warranty and will eventually be fixed, but I cannot imagine my brand new vehicle blowing an engine with 2k miles on it. Not to mention the long timeframe it’ll take due to parts constraints.
In any case, I’m hopeful the issue was just the bad batch of valves and only affected a certain number of engines and is behind us now! Would have been nice to see more data though.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

The total number of reported failures from various sites is roughly 20.
Out of 20,000 engines that is probably the normal failure rate for any new vehicles.

Hailey Jo

Badlands
First Name
Hailey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haileyjohnson.realtor
Vehicle(s)
1977 Ford F-150, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the best I can do for information. Vehicle had problems after excelerating onto the freeway. It felt as if the engine was shaking the whole vehicle when you applied any sort of pressure to the gas pedal. This happened on 12/4/21 and it is still in the shop. They have the engine in, but are waiting on a few smaller parts - gaskets and valves were mentioned by a Ford rep. Really unfortunate that this has been such a big problem after everyone talked up the 2.7L and continually said it was the better engine for the long run. I also have a 2.3L that I rent out. The 2.3L has twice as many miles and has not had a single issue to date - purchased off lot on 8/11/21.

Took delivery of 2.7L Badlands on 10/13/21
3,581 miles at time of breakdown
VIN: 1FMEE5DP3MLA85962

Screenshot_20211224-104959_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104850_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104940_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104919_FordPass.jpg
Sponsored