Sponsored

Deleted member

After digesting the Q&A session from yesterday, I have decided that Ford has taken a page from BMW's playbook regarding how to structure options and options packages. BMW is famous for forcing prospective purchasers to add multiple option packages just to obtain certain features. They often bundle one desirable feature with five other non-desirable features and call it a package.

Ford is pretty much doing the same thing using the trim options and package options. While the Q&A didn't reveal much, it did provide a few interesting tidbits of information. Allow me to use three examples:

1. Electronic Lockers. Ford did say yesterday that the rear locker would be available as an option on every trim level. However, they also went on to say front lockers would only be available wither by trim level or within the Sasquatch package. This means I have to purchase either a Badlands or the Sasquatch package just to get front and rear electronic lockers. I'm not saying other important stuff doesn't come with the Badlands or the Sasquatch package...but I cannot buy even a Black Diamond trim and just add the front locker to it; I have to add the whole Squtch package and everything that comes with it.

2. Tow Package. Ford mentioned the tow package would be available to every trim but the Base. This means I have to puchase at least a Big Bend trim if I want a factory installed tow package. Why? What is so different from the Base to the Big Bend that I cannot add a factory installed tow package to the Base? I know I can have the dealer install the tow pieces...but this isn't the same.

3. Manual transmission. Assuming I order the Squatch package, I have to also order an automatic transmission which, again, just adds most cost to the vehicle. I understand if Ford wants to limit transmission choices to certain engine options. That is acceptable. It is OK to say the V6 has to have an automatic; but why won't a manual transmission work with a 2.3L engine installed in a trim with the Squatch when it will work with the 2.3L engine when installed in a trim without the Squatch? This just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, Jeep doesn't limit engine and transmission choices in any way, shape, or form.

I don't expect an extensive menu of ala cart options available. But forcing me to purchase a 50K (or more) Badlands trim just to have a few 4WD features I think important is ridiculous.

Sorry for my rant.
Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here’s the problem: if it’s too expensive, the take rate will be low and Ford will end up selling something that no one is buying. Obviously, it’s all speculative at this point. “Just sayin’.”
Somewhere at some time they had a discussion about trim and option pricing, and the question was asked whether they want to sell more Black Diamonds with Sasquatch or more Badlands without. I have a hard time believing they chose the latter given what we know about invoice pricing, and the general idea that more profit is made on optioned out vehicles at any price. In other words, they'd rather have people with $50k to spend on a vehicle buying an optioned out higher trim than a less optioned higher trim.

Therefore, I don't think Squatch on BD will be close to $6k, I would say $5k is the cap, and probably less if they tier the price of Squatch per trim level and don't want the price on the Base model to be outrageous. Because we know if Squatch is like $8000 on the Base model, negative press will be through the roof.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After digesting the Q&A session from yesterday, I have decided that Ford has taken a page from BMW's playbook regarding how to structure options and options packages. BMW is famous for forcing prospective purchasers to add multiple option packages just to obtain certain features. They often bundle one desirable feature with five other non-desirable features and call it a package.

Ford is pretty much doing the same thing using the trim options and package options. While the Q&A didn't reveal much, it did provide a few interesting tidbits of information. Allow me to use three examples:

1. Electronic Lockers. Ford did say yesterday that the rear locker would be available as an option on every trim level. However, they also went on to say front lockers would only be available wither by trim level or within the Sasquatch package. This means I have to purchase either a Badlands or the Sasquatch package just to get front and rear electronic lockers. I'm not saying other important stuff doesn't come with the Badlands or the Sasquatch package...but I cannot buy even a Black Diamond trim and just add the front locker to it; I have to add the whole Squtch package and everything that comes with it.

2. Tow Package. Ford mentioned the tow package would be available to every trim but the Base. This means I have to puchase at least a Big Bend trim if I want a factory installed tow package. Why? What is so different from the Base to the Big Bend that I cannot add a factory installed tow package to the Base? I know I can have the dealer install the tow pieces...but this isn't the same.

3. Manual transmission. Assuming I order the Squatch package, I have to also order an automatic transmission which, again, just adds most cost to the vehicle. I understand if Ford wants to limit transmission choices to certain engine options. That is acceptable. It is OK to say the V6 has to have an automatic; but why won't a manual transmission work with a 2.3L engine installed in a trim with the Squatch when it will work with the 2.3L engine when installed in a trim without the Squatch? This just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, Jeep doesn't limit engine and transmission choices in any way, shape, or form.

I don't expect an extensive menu of ala cart options available. But forcing me to purchase a 50K (or more) Badlands trim just to have a few 4WD features I think important is ridiculous.

Sorry for my rant.
I would again remind anyone with this attitude to compare this to a Wrangler. You can't get any of the off road goodies you want on anything but a Rubicon. Ford doesn't care what BMW is doing, they benchmarked the Wrangler at every level, include packages/pricing.

PR4X4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Got to pay to play. Want lockers on a Jeep, get a Rubicon, want a manual you’re stuck with the V6 (that is if you can even get a manual, last I heard they were exploding through the floor boards), want steel bumpers pay a couple grand more for LEDs. Everyone does it, kudos to Ford for offering awesome 4x4 features on every trim level.

Sponsored

Mike978

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford did offer many build configurations on the Focus and Fusion. It then scaled back in c. 2018 because it was too complex, so having packages is the way to go. Honda just have spec levels with no real packages so Ford still gives good choices. Remember the Bronco has two body styles, three engine/transmission options, six specs and at least four major packages (mid, high, lux and Sasquatch) so they are giving you massive choice.
i wished people would stop moaning about this since the Bronco will be at most a 200k unit vehicle a year and vehicles that sell double (RAV4 etc) have many less choices.

Deleted member

@BuckeyeinNV, I completely understand That one has to buy a Rubicon if you want all the serious off road stuff in a Jeep. This is exactly why I have held off from buying a Rubicon for several years now. I do not want to 50K plus. I also understand Ford doesn't concern itself with BMW offerings.

My point is Ford and others are seeing the success BMW has had in the way it markets its option packages. There are similarities; my questions are valid. For example, the tow package. Why is the tow package available with the Big Bend trim and not the Base trim? I don't have an attitude simply because I'm asking why I am forced to spend $2680 (4dr Base to 4dr Big Bend) just to add a factory tow package.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for my rant.
Did they explicitly say rear lockers on every trim level? I only saw a statement saying "most" leading me to strongly suspect it won't be offered on the Base trim level which is what I am aiming for....Base, 2.3L, MT, rear lockers, 33s on 17s and I'll take it from there.. Totally agree with your observations and feeling quite frustrated with it

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@BuckeyeinNV, I completely understand That one has to buy a Rubicon if you want all the serious off road stuff in a Jeep. This is exactly why I have held off from buying a Rubicon for several years now. I do not want to 50K plus. I also understand Ford doesn't concern itself with BMW offerings.

My point is Ford and others are seeing the success BMW has had in the way it markets its option packages. There are similarities; my questions are valid. For example, the tow package. Why is the tow package available with the Big Bend trim and not the Base trim? I don't have an attitude simply because I'm asking why I am forced to spend $2680 (4dr Base to 4dr Big Bend) just to add a factory tow package.
You'll be able to get a badass off road Bronco for way less than $50k. I don't think the tow package is worth getting worked up about. You'll be able to tow with a Base model.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did they explicitly say rear lockers on every trim level? I only saw a statement saying "most" leading me to strongly suspect it won't be offered on the Base trim level which is what I am aiming for....Base, 2.3L, MT, rear lockers, 33s on 17s and I'll take it from there.. Totally agree with your observations and feeling quite frustrated with it
You're going to be disappointed.

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep I think we actually thought they would answer questions of a vehicle they have been hyping and developing for years now. It’s not much to expect a company who sells 40k plus vehicles to answer some basic stuff about their product..
It’s basic business..
Hm. I didn't. I expected exactly what we got - a bit more clarity on a couple of smaller things, non answers on others, and completely ignoring other questions.

I also think we got a lot more info at release than we normally would for a product launch.

Sounds like you'd rather they say nothing between debut and the order guide.

Sorry for my rant.
I had a response typed out for this, but it got moved while doing it, so my response was deleted lol.

Anyway, point being this is not exclusive to Ford or BMW. Manufacturers have to try to guesstimate take rates on trims and packages/options, and bundling them together makes it easier to do that and also keeps build combinations down so they can build vehicles in combinations that people will actually buy. Fusion a few years ago had something like over 300,000 combinations - that means models that sit on lots if they don't have a combination of features that people want, even if it's disappointing to not be able to pick and choose every option. I think Ford has actually given more choice than expected (and compared to the competition) by offering things like Sasquatch on all trims.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ford's Answers to Bronco Questions Submissions (Q&A) 1596313852156

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That was my take away also. Choice being either a Base-Squatch or Big Bend with locker. If Base-Squatch comes in at under $36k it is the better choice for me. But looking at it Black Diamond would be a better choice than the BB... Slippery slope here..

Last edited:

Deleted member

Everyone, I'm not trying to be a demagogue here. For the most part, I like what Ford has done with the Bronco and I have little issue with how they have chosen to structure the trim and option packages. I'm trying to decide between the Base plus Squatch plus Aux Switches plus HD Modular Front Bumper and a BD either with or without the Squatch. I know any one of these choices is going to provide me with much more capable off road vehicle for far less money than what I would spend on a Jeep.

Ideally, I would like a manual transmission. I think the question as to why it isn't available with the Squtch package is valid when you ask it with regard to the 2.3L motor. Why would it be available one way but not the other? It just doesn't make much sense.

Same with the Tow Package. I'm sure Ford has data detailing exactly how many Jeep owners also tow Wave runners, Motorcycles, etc and know precisely how many tow packages they expect to sell. But why must we spend $2680 more (difference between a Base 4dr and a Big Bend 4dr) just to have the privilege of adding this option? Again, it doesn't make much sense.

If anyone has real answers to these questions, I would love to hear them. But currently, the answers seem to be only "just because you can't". I'm grown up enough to know I may have to acept these as answers; it doesn't mean I have to like the answers though.
Sponsored