Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my first how-to post so go easy on me. I've played with ham radio and gmrs for years with handheld and base units (yes, I'm licensed for both). I decided it was time to get a real mobile unit with 50 watts. The Yaesu FTM-300D met all my needs, and then some. Looking at the Bronco mounting options, the remote head unit was required for a clean installation. This installation is not for the faint of heart, so buckle up.

The first decision was where to put the main control unit. Surprisingly, there is a lot of open space above the driver's left foot behind the dash. The Yaesu has a very loud speaker, so I wasn't too worried about the under dash option. I thought about fabricating some brackets, but I finally decided to mount it to the back of the frame that holds the fuse panel. Unfortunately, the fuse panel had to come out so I could drill some mounting holes. This was a pain in the ass and had me rethinking options, but finally got it out without breaking anything. All the wiring had quick release levers, but the physical size of the fuse panel made it hard to remove. The Yaesu has a great mounting bracket with a quick release button, so once the bracket is mounted, the button will drop the main control unit straight down. Easily removeable from the vehicle if needed.

The second decision was where to put the remote head unit. I didn't want this getting in the way of day to day activities in the Bronco, and I wanted the ability to use it from the passenger seat (I get to play with the radio while the wife is driving). My only real option was the front of the overhead aux switch console. To fish the control panel wire through, you have to take off some trim. They need to come off in the 1,2,3 order shown in the photo. None of this messed with the airbags. Ford cut a one inch notch in the pinch weld above the aux switch console to leave room for wires to come through. I was able to use a coat hanger to go from the aux switch console notch to the A pillar. Don't try to pull the aux switch assembly out. I broke a clip and never did get it out. Then I had to figure out how to mount the remote head unit. I didn't want to drill holes in the plastic, so I fabricated an aluminum mounting plate and used 3M Extreme double sided tape to mount it. I had to bend the plate slightly to match the contour of the plastic, but the tape was padded so it was forgiving on an exact contour match.

The next piece of the puzzle was the handset mic. Since I don't transmit often, I opted for the center console box. The Yaesu can even run without the handset and use a bluetooth headset on vox (haven't tried that yet).

The last piece of the puzzle was the antenna. I looked at all kinds of mounting options for the rear door, but I didn't see any options I liked. So I went with a front option. I chose the same mounting location as the AM/FM antenna, but on the driver's side. I should still have ditch light options later. I use the stubby antenna for around-town APRS stuff and convoy communications. I switch to the 40" antenna for the camp site and emergency needs. It uses a standard PL-259 connector so I may play with some other antenna options.

For power, I used the AUX 2 circuit. The Yaesu uses about 12 amps on max transmit power so I didn't have too many choices. The Bronco has a nice rubber plug to handle passing the power and antenna through the firewall. Once I get some real electrical diagrams for the Bronco, I may find a different permanent power source, but this works for now.

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211127_141521790_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211127_145900489_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211127_145835047_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211127_150027656_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211127_150150735_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 Apillar-trim

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211211_174924742_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211211_175317500_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211211_155346832_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211204_202918192_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211219_154428021_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211219_154507760_iOS

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 20211219_154608544_iOS

20211127_145900489_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well done!

So if I follow:

there is a fusebox inside the cabin on the drivers side, you removed it, and mounted the remote head unit to the same bracket but on the opposite site, then put the fuse box back. any pics we see here of the remote head unit bracket mounted are actually from below, facing towards the drivers seat?

all in all very nice. I'm planning to put a similar radio in, and this is a very different mount path than the other guy who did it, and I like elements of both. I won't do overhead mounting of things until I have a MIC top so i'll be stuck putting things on the dash or a byod rail.

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well done!

So if I follow:

there is a fusebox inside the cabin on the drivers side, you removed it, and mounted the remote head unit to the same bracket but on the opposite site, then put the fuse box back. any pics we see here of the remote head unit bracket mounted are actually from below, facing towards the drivers seat?

all in all very nice. I'm planning to put a similar radio in, and this is a very different mount path than the other guy who did it, and I like elements of both. I won't do overhead mounting of things until I have a MIC top so i'll be stuck putting things on the dash or a byod rail.
Close. I should have put one more photo in there. The plastic knee trim below the steering wheel flips down to expose the fuse box on the left side (facing the driver). I put the Yaesu bracket on the back side of the fuse box. It faces the firewall with lots of extra space.

I thought about a byod rail. Once they evolve a little bit, I may consider moving the remote head unit to the rail.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mounted my MXT275 base unit under the glove. There a bracket behind the glove. Then ran a mic extension behind so driver can use. And if there a passenger, they can unplug mic extension and connect directly.

E8709E85-FAEA-46D4-947B-82FD57AF7A7E.jpeg

8ED368A9-256F-4797-9C85-69955A91AEF5.jpeg

C14C8045-F2AD-4015-8280-CC7E0C38CDA7.jpeg

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow! I like that a lot! That's nearly convincing me to move my FTM400 to that location - I wish I'd noticed that when I was doing my install!

Now, I just have to get mine back from the dealership where it's undergoing troubleshooting for various electrical faults and then getting the dents and misalignment caused by rail shipment sorted out. Might see it in January!

Sponsored

KTBronco65

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mounted my MXT275 base unit under the glove. There a bracket behind the glove. Then ran a mic extension behind so driver can use. And if there a passenger, they can unplug mic extension and connect directly.

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 C14C8045-F2AD-4015-8280-CC7E0C38CDA7

Ford Bronco Mobile Ham Radio Install - Yaesu FTM-300 C14C8045-F2AD-4015-8280-CC7E0C38CDA7

Nice install! What antenna and antenna mounting bracket did you use?

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very nice! Thank you for taking time to post your path. It will definitely help a lot of us as we decide our own best path.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice install! What antenna and antenna mounting bracket did you use?

For now I’m using a Jeep CB bracket…it has two holes, 1 i can use for a trail flag. My buddy will be fabricating one for broncos soon. For the antenna just a cheap GMRS NMO UV324.3 144mz i found on eBay. I didn’t like the magnetic one that midland sent and i don’t like the ghost antennas. It actually has a longer range the magnetic one. I like longer antennas because i usually attach a flag to it every now and then.

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like the location you chose for the remote unit. I’m concerned about the dash rails being discussed as an option; I see anything mounted up there getting fried by sunlight on a warm day.

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like the location you chose for the remote unit. I’m concerned about the dash rails being discussed as an option; I see anything mounted up there getting fried by sunlight on a warm day.
I’m in FL and never had issues with my CB on my Jeep….only issue up there are running wires for power and antenna wire…no room in broncos….

f626626

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you run the handheld through the center console? I want to put mine in the same place.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

First write up??? Well, you did a kick ass job with it!!! Nicley done. What do you think the best band would be for communicating with other people on the trails? Are you using this unit more for general road communications? Like to truckers and such?

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is my first how-to post so go easy on me. I've played with ham radio and gmrs for years with handheld and base units (yes, I'm licensed for both). I decided it was time to get a real mobile unit with 50 watts. The Yaesu FTM-300D met all my needs, and then some. Looking at the Bronco mounting options, the remote head unit was required for a clean installation. This installation is not for the faint of heart, so buckle up.

The first decision was where to put the main control unit. Surprisingly, there is a lot of open space above the driver's left foot behind the dash. The Yaesu has a very loud speaker, so I wasn't too worried about the under dash option. I thought about fabricating some brackets, but I finally decided to mount it to the back of the frame that holds the fuse panel. Unfortunately, the fuse panel had to come out so I could drill some mounting holes. This was a pain in the ass and had me rethinking options, but finally got it out without breaking anything. All the wiring had quick release levers, but the physical size of the fuse panel made it hard to remove. The Yaesu has a great mounting bracket with a quick release button, so once the bracket is mounted, the button will drop the main control unit straight down. Easily removeable from the vehicle if needed.

The second decision was where to put the remote head unit. I didn't want this getting in the way of day to day activities in the Bronco, and I wanted the ability to use it from the passenger seat (I get to play with the radio while the wife is driving). My only real option was the front of the overhead aux switch console. To fish the control panel wire through, you have to take off some trim. They need to come off in the 1,2,3 order shown in the photo. None of this messed with the airbags. Ford cut a one inch notch in the pinch weld above the aux switch console to leave room for wires to come through. I was able to use a coat hanger to go from the aux switch console notch to the A pillar. Don't try to pull the aux switch assembly out. I broke a clip and never did get it out. Then I had to figure out how to mount the remote head unit. I didn't want to drill holes in the plastic, so I fabricated an aluminum mounting plate and used 3M Extreme double sided tape to mount it. I had to bend the plate slightly to match the contour of the plastic, but the tape was padded so it was forgiving on an exact contour match.

The next piece of the puzzle was the handset mic. Since I don't transmit often, I opted for the center console box. The Yaesu can even run without the handset and use a bluetooth headset on vox (haven't tried that yet).

The last piece of the puzzle was the antenna. I looked at all kinds of mounting options for the rear door, but I didn't see any options I liked. So I went with a front option. I chose the same mounting location as the AM/FM antenna, but on the driver's side. I should still have ditch light options later. I use the stubby antenna for around-town APRS stuff and convoy communications. I switch to the 40" antenna for the camp site and emergency needs. It uses a standard PL-259 connector so I may play with some other antenna options.

For power, I used the AUX 2 circuit. The Yaesu uses about 12 amps on max transmit power so I didn't have too many choices. The Bronco has a nice rubber plug to handle passing the power and antenna through the firewall. Once I get some real electrical diagrams for the Bronco, I may find a different permanent power source, but this works for now.

It looks great...but, you lost me at pulling the fuse box. I'll leave that to a professional (like you).