Sponsored

Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser?

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The FJ was so close to being great.
So close
You could see it.... it was right there but fell short.
My wife had one. The blind spots were impressive. Like driving a panel van with a port hole window on the back.
Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IFS is the reason they never got lifted and never looked cool in the mall parking lot. IFS is the reason they never got the image of the wrangler....

djwaly97

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was in the market for an FJ before ford announced the Bronco. Those resale values are staggering, but I can get a bronco for under $40k where an FJ with 50k on can go for $28k-$35k. Why would I pick the FJ??

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bronco had a removable top before, what killed it then?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But this one looks like a school bus, the short one.

601ca420-8a6a-4513-b01d-add61068e6c5-jpeg.jpg
com%2F_content%2Fcars%2Fimages%2F79%2F365179%2F009.jpg

Sponsored

nealpark

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr FE / 2013 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I both love and hate my 2012 TT FJ. Will be getting rid of it for a Bronco

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I both love and hate my 2012 TT FJ. Will be getting rid of it for a Bronco
I personally think the 2012 TT was the best color they ever made for the FJs.

BabyDoc1012

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra, 2019 Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There was a lot that killed the FJ. It came back at the beginning of the retro design style. But it was too bloated. I really liked the looks, test drive one, it was a stick and felt underpowered and the blind spots were horrible. Had it come back smaller, closer to original size and the wrangler, it may have lasted. I wanted to like it, but just couldn’t.

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Love my FJ, just wish it had proper rear doors and a little more room back there, it's also terrible on gas. Never found the blind spots to be a problem. The Bronco looks like it'll be a perfect upgrade, the only place it's lacking compared to the FJ is with towing capacity, but 3500 is enough for my boat. It's also missing a wiper blade in the front...

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan to keep my FJ after I get the new Bronco, unless the Bronco is truly perfect.

For the FJ, I installed an OME suspension, which lifted it 2.5", and 285/70R-17s and it became an off-road beast. I joined an FJ group in Western Washington and we tackled some really difficult trails and terrain. Rocks, sand, mud, snow, beaches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as an off-road vehicle. And mine is far less tricked up than a lot of the FJ off-roaders I know, who spent thousands on trail armor, suspension upgrades, re-gearing to handle all the steel accessories, etc.

The criticisms I agree with 100%:
  • The FJ has HORRIBLE blind spots. Legendary. No doubt people hated that, and Toyota proved this when they were forced to add the rear camera on the spindle holding the spare.
  • The legroom in the second row is awful. The doors are a pain in the ass to get in and out of the rear.
  • There's no window for the passengers in the second row, and it is a stuffy ride back there as well as cramped. That's a bad combo.
  • A removable roof and the IFS kept the Jeepsters away.
  • Road noise is bad. it needed extra sound-deadening material.
  • Toyota refused to add the newest tech. The tech in it was vintage 2005 and never got updated.
  • Toyota gave up on it quickly. They totally failed to predict how popular off-roading would get and never formulated a sensible strategy for competing with Jeep.
  • Awful gas mileage. Add anything like a rack or bumper and it just was a pig.
Positives:
  • When you focus on using it as a 2-door, with only two occupants, it is an awesome vehicle. Tons of space in the rear and while the seats don't fold 100% flat, it's close enough to sleep and super easy to add a platform.
  • The steering is the best I have had in any non-Toyota vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned a Chevy S-10 Blazer, 2 Blazers, an Xterra, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Sentra, a Chevy Equinox (what a POS!), a 1966 Mustang and a 1973 Charger. I've also owned a Rav-4, a 4Runner, a 90 Toyota pickup and a 2017 Lexus, and I still love the FJ's handling better than anything.
  • It. Is. A. Toyota. Built in Japan at the Hino truck factory. The fit and finish are absolutely the best, IMO.
I am beyond stoked at the idea Ford may begin to sell a vehicle that can do all the things that Toyota never did with the FJ. If they bring all the cool stuff from the Jeeps and build a solid trail warrior with a ton of high tech, I will be over the moon. My impression, though I have little proof, is that Ford did a great job of researching pros and cons from the most deeply loved off-road vehicles, and while FJ owners end up seeming a bit like a cult at times, I believe the FJ is one of the vehicles Ford is channeling in the Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If anything, the Bronco will succeed where the FJ failed; 2drs, removable top, easy to mod engines, etc.

The FJ's weren't bad, they're bulletproof and can overland, just a shame you couldn't just easily remove the top

award1492

Black Diamond
First Name
Nalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I plan to keep my FJ after I get the new Bronco, unless the Bronco is truly perfect.

For the FJ, I installed an OME suspension, which lifted it 2.5", and 285/70R-17s and it became an off-road beast. I joined an FJ group in Western Washington and we tackled some really difficult trails and terrain. Rocks, sand, mud, snow, beaches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as an off-road vehicle. And mine is far less tricked up than a lot of the FJ off-roaders I know, who spent thousands on trail armor, suspension upgrades, re-gearing to handle all the steel accessories, etc.

The criticisms I agree with 100%:
  • The FJ has HORRIBLE blind spots. Legendary. No doubt people hated that, and Toyota proved this when they were forced to add the rear camera on the spindle holding the spare.
  • The legroom in the second row is awful. The doors are a pain in the ass to get in and out of the rear.
  • There's no window for the passengers in the second row, and it is a stuffy ride back there as well as cramped. That's a bad combo.
  • A removable roof and the IFS kept the Jeepsters away.
  • Road noise is bad. it needed extra sound-deadening material.
  • Toyota refused to add the newest tech. The tech in it was vintage 2005 and never got updated.
  • Toyota gave up on it quickly. They totally failed to predict how popular off-roading would get and never formulated a sensible strategy for competing with Jeep.
  • Awful gas mileage. Add anything like a rack or bumper and it just was a pig.
Positives:
  • When you focus on using it as a 2-door, with only two occupants, it is an awesome vehicle. Tons of space in the rear and while the seats don't fold 100% flat, it's close enough to sleep and super easy to add a platform.
  • The steering is the best I have had in any non-Toyota vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned a Chevy S-10 Blazer, 2 Blazers, an Xterra, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Sentra, a Chevy Equinox (what a POS!), a 1966 Mustang and a 1973 Charger. I've also owned a Rav-4, a 4Runner, a 90 Toyota pickup and a 2017 Lexus, and I still love the FJ's handling better than anything.
  • It. Is. A. Toyota. Built in Japan at the Hino truck factory. The fit and finish are absolutely the best, IMO.
I am beyond stoked at the idea Ford may begin to sell a vehicle that can do all the things that Toyota never did with the FJ. If they bring all the cool stuff from the Jeeps and build a solid trail warrior with a ton of high tech, I will be over the moon. My impression, though I have little proof, is that Ford did a great job of researching pros and cons from the most deeply loved off-road vehicles, and while FJ owners end up seeming a bit like a cult at times, I believe the FJ is one of the vehicles Ford is channeling in the Bronco.
Spot on w the the FJ pros / cons. The FJ was a concept vehicle, FJ40 fans clamored for its return. So Toyota rushed it into production using the same parts, platform and assembly found in several proven winners (Hilux, Prado, Taco, Runner, Gx). I don’t think Toyota intended to keep it longer than 1 gen.
I’m keeping my 2012 FJ as my daughter loves it. It’s a great 2 seater for road trips, camping etc... fun & capable truck. I had a Gen 2 Taco and the FJ is much more spacious up front. But those rear seats are too small for big kids and adults. It also makes everyone who rides back , car sick.
So I’m really looking forward to my Black Diamond, 4-dr, 7 speed and the new adventures that will come. Can’t wait to go topless
Anybody else wanting a white roof too?

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The FJ was so close to being great.
So close
You could see it.... it was right there but fell short.
My wife had one. The blind spots were impressive. Like driving a panel van with a port hole window on the back.
We did a tough trail with two FJs with solid axle swaps a couple weekends ago. They were BA! Throw enough money at something and you can get there. :)

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? FJs (2)

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We did a tough trail with two FJs with solid axle swaps a couple weekends ago. They were BA! Throw enough money at something and you can get there. :)

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? FJs (2)
Seriously cool! The one at right is awesome. Great mods, colors. And tube bumpers FTW.
Sponsored