mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will also add, all the squatchers I was with afterwards were complimenting the BD saying it certainly held it's own. And it did. I just may have scraped more than them. There's definitely dents in the bash plates. But that's what they're for.

Now if you want to do more serious rock crawling, then it may be in your best interest to squatch. But only you can answer that.

I'll go out maybe 3 times a year. BD is plenty capable for my needs and wants. If my bash plates get f'd up enough I'll just replace. They're under the car. No one can see them.

Or maybe I'll start picking better lines. 😂 I'd say that definitely accounted for some of my hits.

Side note. I saw these dudes, not in our group, in souped up Jeeps on like 37's just cruising through stuff I wouldn't even consider... But I actually thought to myself, is that even fun? It looked too easy to them.

It's kinda all relative I guess. In my stock BD I had to try and pick good lines. Where the squatched guys didn't. So maybe it'll make me a better off roader eventually?

Anyway. Just kinda rambling. Hope it helps some!
Helpful and honest insight. Much appreciated. I like to talk through this perspective on what a stock BD Can do so thanks.
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure why you think it isn't great off road, can you elaborate on this? Compared to other FACTORY vehicles this beats them all off road.
My 2 door BD is the best stock 4x4 I have ever had. Sounds like someone had unrealistic expectations.
I will also add, all the squatchers I was with afterwards were complimenting the BD saying it certainly held it's own. And it did. I just may have scraped more than them. There's definitely dents in the bash plates. But that's what they're for.

Now if you want to do more serious rock crawling, then it may be in your best interest to squatch. But only you can answer that.

I'll go out maybe 3 times a year. BD is plenty capable for my needs and wants. If my bash plates get f'd up enough I'll just replace. They're under the car. No one can see them.

Or maybe I'll start picking better lines. 😂 I'd say that definitely accounted for some of my hits.

Side note. I saw these dudes, not in our group, in souped up Jeeps on like 37's just cruising through stuff I wouldn't even consider... But I actually thought to myself, is that even fun? It looked too easy to them.

It's kinda all relative I guess. In my stock BD I had to try and pick good lines. Where the squatched guys didn't. So maybe it'll make me a better off roader eventually?

Anyway. Just kinda rambling. Hope it helps some!
Yes, having to learn to pick your line will make you a better off roader. When I got my Bronco I gave my 16 year old son my modified Jeep XJ, but I pulled out the locker first. I want him to have to learn how to pick his lines. Welcome to the addiction!

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the actual clearance for non sas factory BD? All I was able to find was a "range" on all levels. Not doing much with off roading since it will be my daily driver but I need the clearance for winters/snow mostly and I thought it was at least what my Xterra was at 9.6.

Sponsored

hoboo128

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1995 f350 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think you meant to ask me that. 😁

I was on what were considered green trails. I'm on the east coast. So mostly mud and rocks. There were some sections that got rocky and I definitely had to plan my line. Mostly used rock crawl mode. But shifted into mud and ruts a few times. Engaging rear lockers when I felt I needed them, but probably could've went without them.

If that helps at all.

I keep sharing this dude's video, because I think it's awesome. Lol. Someone on the trip with us had his buddy with him. He put this together.

No rock crawling in this one. Just water fun. You'll notice I'm the only non sig lights bronco in the video...
I took my non-sas out to Rausch Creek and AOAA a few weeks ago. I hit the skid plates a few times. Most of the hits were in bigger puddles that hid the rocks. Overall I think a small lift/bigger tires would be helpful, but for the most part you're fine if you plan your route. At least on the trails I went on.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I'm sure this has been addressed in this thread (and definitely on these forums) before, but has it 100% been confirmed that you can add 33" tires (for example, take-offs from a stock badlands) to the Black Diamond WITHOUT the need for a lift or removal of crash bars?

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I'm sure this has been addressed in this thread (and definitely on these forums) before, but has it 100% been confirmed that you can add 33" tires (for example, take-offs from a stock badlands) to the Black Diamond WITHOUT the need for a lift or removal of crash bars?
Yes it is. I put 33s on my 2 door, without any modifications. Not on the steelies but they would have fit fine on them as well.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes it is. I put 33s on my 2 door, without any modifications. Not on the steelies but they would have fit fine on them as well.

Awesome, so same size wheels?

Mind if I ask what tires and size you used ?

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome, so same size wheels?

Mind if I ask what tires and size you used ?
LT285/70R17s Falken ATw3s (same size as non-dad Badlands) on Alpha Delta 17x8.5 wheels with +35mm offset. They do not come even close to rubbing on anything.

CA4CA3B4-7B1C-4635-B100-F0F3018656FB.jpeg

Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

LT285/70R17s Falken ATw3s (same size as non-dad Badlands) on Alpha Delta 17x8.5 wheels with +35mm offset. They do not come even close to rubbing on anything.

CA4CA3B4-7B1C-4635-B100-F0F3018656FB.jpeg

Awesome, looks great.

Now, is that wheel a little wider than the stock steelies?

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome, looks great.

Now, is that wheel a little wider than the stock steelies?
The stock steelies are 17x7.5 with +55mm offset. So my wheels “push” the tires out about an inch. LT 285/70R17s will fit on the stock wheels and I’m certain they won’t rub anywhere. I kept my steelies and plan to buy a second set of 33s (MTs) to put on them for summer fun.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The stock steelies are 17x7.5 with +55mm offset. So my wheels “push” the tires out about an inch. LT 285/70R17s will fit on the stock wheels and I’m certain they won’t rub anywhere. I kept my steelies and plan to buy a second set of 33s (MTs) to put on them for summer fun.
Nice thanks for the info.....One thing I never got into much or read much about is wheels/tires....So, on yours, is the 1" push due to the extra width of the wheel, or is the difference in offset?

BsCostanzo1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, that is the bumper you will receive .
I have a Badlands being built at end of January. I also went out and purchased some after market Shackles. Also wondering now if they will fit onto the capable bumper??

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Thread 1640191613692

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice thanks for the info.....One thing I never got into much or read much about is wheels/tires....So, on yours, is the 1" push due to the extra width of the wheel, or is the difference in offset?
The 1 inch (actually 0.78") is from the difference in the offset (20mm less positive offset). Offsets are based on the center of the wheel. For example, an 8" wide wheel with 0mm offset has the mounting face at the centerline of the wheel/tire. Change that offset to +55mm (the stock wheel offset) and that moves the mounting face towards the outer edge of the wheel, thus moving the wheel centerline towards the center of the vehicle a couple inches. The width of the wheel doesn't affect the position of the wheel in the wheel well. I went with an 8.5" wide wheel simply because I eventually want to run 33x12.50 tires and the stock 7.5" wide wheels are too narrow for tires that wide.

Where it can get confusing is when you compare wheel widths based on back spacing. Back spacing is the distance from the mounting face to the inside edge of the wheel. If you have 8" wide and 7" wide wheels and both have 4" of backspacing (BS), then the outside edge of the 8" wide wheel will be 1" further out than that of the 7" wide wheel.

Hope this helps. tirerack.com has a tech section that may explain this better than I did.
Sponsored