CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We went up to the Sierras for Christmas and got absolutely dumped on, 1-2 feet of snow in 1 night. I didn't quite realize just how much snow we were going to get overnight, and as we were staying at a hotel I had to park outside overnight.

The night before:
Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211225_171652_2

The morning after:
Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_090117

I was not prepared at all for this amount of snow, no brush, shovels, anything. But like every good Cali boy, I did have a pair of flip flops in the back that I was able to use to clear my windshield lol 😂

Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials Resized_20211226_102336(3)

There was also quite the snow berm that had been built up in front of the truck from them plowing the parking lot. Again I didn't have a shovel, so I decided to just yolo it and was able to drive over it pretty easily after putting it into 4H.
A downside of the soft top of course is no re-window defroster, so I had to manually try to scrape the snow off the back plastic.

After clearing enough snow to be in a somewhat drivable state:
Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_103241

Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_103021_2

In hindsight my big concern would be I don't know how much snow the soft top can actually support. Thankfully the top didn't out right crumble or give out. Sitting inside you can definitely see the top material sagging down inbetween the cross supports. I could also see the top over the rear quarter windows was very strained. After the snow finally melts I'm a little curious to see if there has been any deformation of the top due to the weight, I'll also have to test the functionality to make sure it still folds back easily.

As for the roads and winter conditions we were mostly driving around on snowy roads, sometimes sanded, moving later into the day of slushy and icy roads. This is a stock badlands on 33" K02s and I left it in 4A all day and it was an absolute beast. No slipping or sliding and felt very composed the whole time. I felt very confident, even with seeing at least 5 cars that had slid off the road during the day. Here's some final pictures driving around during the day.

Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_123727

Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_123738

Ford Bronco Soft Top Bronco Survives Its First Snow Trials 20211226_124726
Sponsored

Last edited:

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

looks like the bronco handled the snow just fine, but driving around with that slab of snow on the roof is a death sentence for any car behind you on the highway. please make sure you clear all snow off your roof and hood before driving next time. did you bring chains with you on I80 / 50 like is required?

OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
looks like the bronco handled the snow just fine, but driving around with that slab of snow on the roof is a death sentence for any car behind you on the highway. please make sure you clear all snow off your roof and hood before driving next time. did you bring chains with you on I80 / 50 like is required?
Yeah should probably have tried to clear some off, although now I know it would take a lot for it to fall off on its own!

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah should probably have tried to clear some off, although now I know it would take a lot for it to fall off on its own!
Yeah, which is what makes it even more dangerous unfortunately 😅 essentially showing it won’t fall off on your 30mph approach to the highway, and instead all come off dramatically at 60mph and devastate drivers behind you.

I’m jealous you got up to the sierras during this storm, though. Great to know the bronco can handle a few feet no problem.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

80 is currently closed from Meadow Vista to Verdi
70 is closed from Cedar Grove to Alpine Village (89)

A snow bunny told me the skiing was going to be fantastic.
Well, all of the mountains are currently closed due to extreme wind and power outages, and there are avalanches blocking the roadways to get to those mountains at the moment 😅 but the skiing will be fantastic soon, as long as everyone stays safe for another day or two to recover fully

jakej

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We went up to the Sierras for Christmas and got absolutely dumped on, 1-2 feet of snow in 1 night. I didn't quite realize just how much snow we were going to get overnight, and as we were staying at a hotel I had to park outside overnight.

The night before:

The morning after:

I was not prepared at all for this amount of snow, no brush, shovels, anything. But like every good Cali boy, I did have a pair of flip flops in the back that I was able to use to clear my windshield lol 😂

There was also quite the snow berm that had been built up in front of the truck from them plowing the parking lot. Again I didn't have a shovel, so I decided to just yolo it and was able to drive over it pretty easily after putting it into 4H.
A downside of the soft top of course is no re-window defroster, so I had to manually try to scrape the snow off the back plastic.

In hindsight my big concern would be I don't know how much snow the soft top can actually support. Thankfully the top didn't out right crumble or give out. Sitting inside you can definitely see the top material sagging down inbetween the cross supports. I could also see the top over the rear quarter windows was very strained. After the snow finally melts I'm a little curious to see if there has been any deformation of the top due to the weight, I'll also have to test the functionality to make sure it still folds back easily.

As for the roads and winter conditions we were mostly driving around on snowy roads, sometimes sanded, moving later into the day of slushy and icy roads. This is a stock badlands on 33" K02s and I left it in 4A all day and it was an absolute beast. No slipping or sliding and felt very composed the whole time. I felt very confident, even with seeing at least 5 cars that had slid off the road during the day. Here's some final pictures driving around during the day.

View attachment 231640
Great report and pictures. Just got my Bronco and can't wait to get up to Mammoth and Tahoe next month to plow some snow!

Sponsored

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The night before:

The morning after:

View attachment 231640
We were up as well in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We had a garage so no issues with the snow on the top of our soft top. I do agree that the Bronco was a beast and had no issues in the snow. We felt very safe driving around town. Also, the cold wasn’t an issue with the soft top. The heater and heated seats are legit!

1D4B239A-9CF2-4400-B83F-1EB3DD7F0D49.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, the question whether the soft top can hold the weight of an overnight dump is answered. But yes, go find a broom and pull that snow load off your entire vehicle before driving.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool pictures and glad you had fun/the Bronco handled it like a champ. We had a bit of snow here (nothing like this though) and was very pleased with its performance!

As others have mentioned - it’s one thing to be not prepared for that much snow, but clear off your roof! Use your arm, use a broom from the hotel... anything!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know what clears off snow when you don't have a snow brush?

1640632904957.png

You would ideally be wearing a jacket and gloves, but you get the idea.
I thought that was only good for one thing... 🤯 :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored