George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I parked it Christmas Eve and went to start it Monday morning and no luck. I had Ford roadside assistance out to jump it, but no luck. The battery has 12V so all of the lights etc are working. It makes a light clunk sound when the start button is pressed like the starter is engaging, but no clicking as one would expect from a dead battery. The temps have been in the teens and 20s for the last few days. I’m trying to avoid having it towed to the dealer since the local roads are still icy. I was debating on trying to disconnect the battery, but I’m not convinced it will do anything useful. Other thread mentioned a possible defective battery, tow guy says starter. I’m leaning towards a sensor malfunction or some random software glitch. Any ideas on what to try?

UPDATE 12/31
After a failed attempt to jump start 12/27 and a delayed tow until 12/29 my BD is at the dealer. They didn’t get to it until 12/30 and the word from them is that I have a dropped valve and it will require a new motor. New engine will have to be ordered in January as Ford is closed for the week. No idea on ETA on new engine. Worst part is that this is our only vehicle (that runs) and we will have to wait for a rental car until Monday as well. FYI holidays are not the best time to break down…

UPDATE 1/8
Nothing has changed in terms of timeline. Ford customer service has been in contact with me every 3 days (after I called and got CAS number). No idea when an engine will be available. Seems like back to waiting for a Bronco… familiar feeling.

UPDATE 1/20
Dealer has a bunch of the parts, but still no engine or estimate on when it will ship. They did offer to potentially pay one of my payments, but not sure about getting a free extended warranty as mentioned in other threads. I guess I could bug them next month to pay another payment…
They also say mine is the only engine failure they’ve had in the shop so far. Hopefully good news for others.

UPDATE 1/26
Just received a call from my Ford rep stating my engine is at the packagers and should be shipping soon. ETA 3-5 days once shipped. Apparently the parts department at my Ford dealer will the ones to be keeping track of the status, not the service department. If all goes well my next update will be talking about engine installation.

UPDATE 1/28
Engine is at the dealer! Now we wait for installation…

UPDATE 02/04
I have my Bronco back! It's build date Julian 21273 aka Sep 29, 2021. The model number is MB3E 6006 AA. I can't verify via the paperwork that the turbos were changed, but the service manager stated that everything was changed out. Maybe I'll quiz them again to see if they too any pictures. I put the pictures of the new engine label and service printouts over on the 2.7L blown engine thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let the dealer have it. Not much chance of the issue getting better over time, even if you get it started.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I’d just get it to the dealership. It’s under warranty - not worth screwing around with it.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I parked it Christmas Eve and went to start it Monday morning and no luck. I had Ford roadside assistance out to jump it, but no luck. The battery has 12V so all of the lights etc are working. It makes a light clunk sound when the start button is pressed like the starter is engaging, but no clicking as one would expect from a dead battery. The temps have been in the teens and 20s for the last few days. I’m trying to avoid having it towed to the dealer since the local roads are still icy. I was debating on trying to disconnect the battery, but I’m not convinced it will do anything useful. Other thread mentioned a possible defective battery, tow guy says starter. I’m leaning towards a sensor malfunction or some random software glitch. Any ideas on what to try?
Definitely take it to the dealer. Mine starts right away with no issues in temperatures below -30C and I haven’t plugged it in yet.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's a 2.7 it coulda dropped a valve right at shutoff and locked the motor. Idk how challenging it is to get a breaker bar on the frt pulley bolt on one of those, but if you can't turn it by hand, it's locked up. Be glad its under warranty!

OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it's a 2.7 it coulda dropped a valve right at shutoff and locked the motor. Idk how challenging it is to get a breaker bar on the frt pulley bolt on one of those, but if you can't turn it by hand, it's locked up. Be glad its under warranty!
It’s a 2.7… fingers crossed it’s just a defective battery.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Can I come over and check your battery for you? I am in Kirkland and know how to use a multimeter...

I do this for work.

OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can I come over and check your battery for you? I am in Kirkland and know how to use a multimeter...

I do this for work.
I checked with the multimeter shows 12.7 with nothing on, 12.0 with accessory on mode. I’m trickle charging it while I wait for the tow truck. Thanks for the offer to check though!

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good be a bad cell in the battery.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I checked with the multimeter shows 12.7 with nothing on, 12.0 with accessory on mode. I’m trickle charging it while I wait for the tow truck. Thanks for the offer to check though!
Yeah, that sounds about right- Curious to see what it does when you press the start button...

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wiggle the terminals to make sure it has a good connection?

OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wiggle the terminals to make sure it has a good connection?
They seem solid. Went to try and start and the voltage dropped below 12 for a 10-20 seconds. Now the voltage is barely over 12. The trickle charger is only a 750mA so it’s barely doing anything. Probably a second attempt at a jump from the tow truck before putting it on the flat bed.
Sponsored