Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 IMG_2554

So the temp dipped below Minus 40 Degrees (the point where F and C meet) and...

The short answer is the Bronco handles it like a champ.

Long Answer, just like anything at this temperature it's not perfect.

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.
Date: December 27th, 2021
Air Temperature: -41C on the ramp at CYZF

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 IMG_2552

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 IMG_2556
Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s great news on the screen. The 12” one on my Tremor gets super slow below freezing.

LadyBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roller skates 🛼
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

Thanks for the update. And try to stay warm! 🪵🔥☕

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
wonder if one can change the 30 min idle with Forscan...

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ginephre

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 ss3

Here is my story.

1st the Bad.

The Good!

Thanks for the update! We get some chilly temps in MT but luckily I shouldn’t have to deal with -40…

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you can change the idle time in the vehicle settings. Can you start using the Ford app now that it is out of the sleep mode?

Sponsored

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like watching the "Ice Pilots" show with the Buffalo Airways guys. The cold weather and those old planes always seem sketchy to me.

Bone Saw

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write-up, appreciate the different (and chilly) perspective. Thank you! I'm sure it helps that you have the correct amount of doors on that beast... ✌ :love:✌

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for posting. Like the show too. The cold, not so much as the old bones get stiff. No, not that one!

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always said the smart mongoloids that crossed the Bering land/ ice bridge are the ones, that once across kept walking ” south”. Brrrrrr!
Sponsored