Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roadside Assistance Coverage Details: Ford Passenger Vehicles
1-800-241-3673, Option #2 (Ford cars, trucks, and vans up to the 250 series, Transit Connect)
Available: 24 hours, 7 days a week
The Roadside Assistance program is separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. For cars, light duty trucks/vans up to the 250 series, and Transit Connect, the services are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first). Roadside services include:

Towing – Ford eligible vehicle towed to a Ford dealer within thirty-five (35) miles of the disablement location or to the nearest qualified Ford dealer. If a customer requests to be towed to a Ford/ dealer more than thirty-five (35) miles from the disablement location, the customer shall be responsible for any mileage costs in excess of thirty-five (35) miles.
Trailers shall be limited up to $200 in coverage, higher on approval if the disabled Eligible Vehicle requires towing service to the nearest qualified dealer. If the trailer is disabled, but the towing vehicle is operational, the trailer does not qualify for any Roadside services.

Fuel Delivery – Independent Service Contractors, if not prohibited by state, local, or municipal law shall deliver up to two (2) gallons of gasoline or 5 gallons of diesel fuel to a disabled vehicle. Limited to 2 occurrences within a 12 month period.

Lock Out Assistance – Independent Service contractor will regain entry into vehicle; key replacement is customer responsibility.

Battery Jump Start

Flat Tire Change
– requires customer to have a useable spare tire.*
*Vehicles without a useable spare will default to tow coverage

Winch out – available within one hundred (100) feet of paved or county maintained road. Note: Recoveries are not covered.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Roadside Assistance Coverage Details: Ford Passenger Vehicles
1-800-241-3673, Option #2 (Ford cars, trucks, and vans up to the 250 series, Transit Connect)
Available: 24 hours, 7 days a week
The Roadside Assistance program is separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. For cars, light duty trucks/vans up to the 250 series, and Transit Connect, the services are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first). Roadside services include:

Towing – Ford eligible vehicle towed to a Ford dealer within thirty-five (35) miles of the disablement location or to the nearest qualified Ford dealer. If a customer requests to be towed to a Ford/ dealer more than thirty-five (35) miles from the disablement location, the customer shall be responsible for any mileage costs in excess of thirty-five (35) miles.
Trailers shall be limited up to $200 in coverage, higher on approval if the disabled Eligible Vehicle requires towing service to the nearest qualified dealer. If the trailer is disabled, but the towing vehicle is operational, the trailer does not qualify for any Roadside services.

Fuel Delivery – Independent Service Contractors, if not prohibited by state, local, or municipal law shall deliver up to two (2) gallons of gasoline or 5 gallons of diesel fuel to a disabled vehicle. Limited to 2 occurrences within a 12 month period.

Lock Out Assistance – Independent Service contractor will regain entry into vehicle; key replacement is customer responsibility.

Battery Jump Start

Flat Tire Change
– requires customer to have a useable spare tire.*
*Vehicles without a useable spare will default to tow coverage

Winch out – available within one hundred (100) feet of paved or county maintained road. Note: Recoveries are not covered.
Thanks @flip! I don't see any exclusions and I am pretty sure that Telluride has a Ford Dealership. ;)

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks @flip! I don't see any exclusions and I am pretty sure that Telluride has a Ford Dealership. ;)
Having gone down the, "I'm just off the road a little bit", trail of tears before, I'm going to say the extent of which a roll back winch cable extends from a paved road is all you're going to get.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having gone down the, "I'm just off the road a little bit", trail of tears before, I'm going to say the extent of which a roll back winch cable extends from a paved road is all you're going to get.
Wait... what?!? Are you telling me that Ford's Roadside Assistance doesn't have Matt Wetzel on call 24/7? :eek:

Sponsored

Kevers

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, the exclusion is only for breakdowns within 100 feet of a paved road and recovery is not included.

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Because while overlanding through the Mojave or out in the middle of Moab is a really f'ing inconvenient time to find out that your vehicle had a known problem that could have been addressed earlier.

Things like this have at a minimum, significant costs in time and money to address and that could in some cases leave people stranded with few resources in the middle of nowhere. At worst, they have the potential to place people in harms way, depending on the situation.

Also, Ford isn't going to pay for towing your dead Bronco down black bear pass.
I have a gut feeling that fomoco is aware and it is in their best interest to make the appropriate, intelligent process corrections to fix the problem, otherwise we all going to be in line with our lawyers knocking at their doors... Happy new Year.
FYI. I'm still waiting for my WT, don't have a VIN # and build date yet.... so you lucky few enjoy your rigs...

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure about how this individual has been driving their vehicle but I have
been seeing a lot of people on Youtube tearing up their brand new vehicle, with out a break-in period. Doing hard accelerations, Towing, driving thousand mile highway runs right out of the dealership, blasting in the dirt, burnouts…etc. The owners manual says specifically “Your vehicle requires a break-in period” (page 297)and lays out how to do that. Could this be a factor in some of these engine failures?? Also, I have heard it said that one reason Toyotas don’t usually break axels etc is because they have smaller wheel diameters (less mechanical leverage to break an axle and tie-rods.) Just something to think about.
No.
I've never heard of an engine break-in taking more than a couple hundred miles. Most of breaking in an engine is to seat the rings and that won't happen if you don't apply some load while accelerating.
"Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics."​
The manual says nothing about avoiding full throttle or high rpm.

This is the first thread I've heard about the valve dropping. The other threads were speculating the valve broke. A valve dropping into the combustion chamber leads me to think defective keeper/springs or incorrect installation (maybe both).
If you baby the engine for the first 1000 miles, that will only push the failure out to after 1000 miles.

* I'm not a professional engine builder / powertrain engineer / mechanic. My opinion is worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Edit:
I have a 2.7. Bronco blend date 8/31. Engine date 21 - 180 (June 29th). 5,786 miles.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does this paved road have to be contiguous to the dealership? Or can I drop some asphalt, pave a few feet, and make the call? ;)

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this paved road have to be contiguous to the dealership? Or can I drop some asphalt, pave a few feet, and make the call? ;)
Years ago we had customers call us if they needed a tow. If they were within 100 miles we would go get them since we have our own wreckers. We could add a line to the repair order for towing and Ford would pay. Ford then limited it to $100 or nearest dealer, customer would be responsible for the overage if they wanted it taken to a dealer outside the 35 mile range. We still did the 100 miles and ate the difference if it was our customer. They've since outsourced the towing a few different times and at one point wouldn't allow us to arrange towing on behalf of the customer and if we just went and got them without being dispatched, wouldn't get paid.

Where I'm going is say you have the vehicle towed and don't call roadside assistance first because you didn't know at the time if it was covered. We can submit the towing charge directly to the provider Agero/Swoop for manual review. If the charges and write up are reasonable, they've been good about reimbursing us or the customer.

Since we're a towing provider they send us tow requests for non-Ford vehicles waaaaay outside our area of operation and are paying stupid amounts for us to drive 75 miles, pick one up and drop it off 2 miles from the pick up point. Don't see how the people selling these plans are making any money but it's obvious there aren't many towing companies in our area wanting to do them.

Long story short. If you do blow up while wheeling, do your best to get it to an area a truck can get to. Call roadside and explain the situation and there's a good chance most of the tow is going to get covered. You're 30 miles from the nearest section of blacktop? "Son, you're on your own".

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No.
I've never heard of an engine break-in taking more than a couple hundred miles. Most of breaking in an engine is to seat the rings and that won't happen if you don't apply some load while accelerating.
"Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics."​
The manual says nothing about avoiding full throttle or high rpm.

This is the first thread I've heard about the valve dropping. The other threads were speculating the valve broke. A valve dropping into the combustion chamber leads me to think defective keeper/springs or incorrect installation (maybe both).
If you baby the engine for the first 1000 miles, that will only push the failure out to after 1000 miles.

* I'm not a professional engine builder / powertrain engineer / mechanic. My opinion is worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Edit:
I have a 2.7. Bronco blend date 8/31. Engine date 21 - 180 (June 29th). 5,786 miles.
I was talking to a guy who took delivery of his 911 from the factory in Stuttgart, while on the tour he met one of the engineers and asked if he should do anything during the break in period, the engineer smiled and said “yes, while driving on the autobahn don’t forget to move right for faster drivers” 😂

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was talking to a guy who took delivery of his 911 from the factory in Stuttgart, while on the tour he met one of the engineers and asked if he should do anything during the break in period, the engineer smiled and said “yes, while driving on the autobahn don’t forget to move right for faster drivers” 😂
Watch an engine builder break in an engine on the dyno. They aren't waiting the equivalent of 1000 miles before putting the engine under load and running it to redline.

I've broken my fair share of autos by being too aggressive. If you can't handle the risk, don't modify your car, don't take it off road (race track or trail riding), and stay within 30 miles of your repair shop.
Modern autos have too much digital technology. Software has bugs. Imagine if autos were as unreliable as phones and computers?

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watch an engine builder break in an engine on the dyno. They aren't waiting the equivalent of 1000 miles before putting the engine under load and running it to redline.

I've broken my fair share of autos by being too aggressive. If you can't handle the risk, don't modify your car, don't take it off road (race track or trail riding), and stay within 30 miles of your repair shop.
Modern autos have too much digital technology. Software has bugs. Imagine if autos were as unreliable as phones and computers?
Yes I have seen most run a newly built engine on a classic car at a constant RPM of around 2,000 for 15-20 mins for "cam break-in" then change oil check it over again and pretty much game on then.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dear FMC,

Much thanks your post and taking note of this. As you know, the Bronco community has seen many reports like this with 2.7L engines damaged by dropped valves and so forth - needing full engine replacement.

Of course the Bronco community is concerned and highly interested to know the scope of the problem - how widespread, how often - "will my engine be okay" - many questions like these. Of course owners are concerned about engine failure out in the wild.

Nationwide, can you please give us some info how many Bronco 2.7 engines have failed this way so far ? Are the failures confined to a known range of engine build-dates ? Is this no longer a problem in the current 2.7L engine production ?

Regards,
B6g Community
The person posting for Ford is just a social media person, you're not going to get big picture answers from them.
Sponsored