First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm no gear head, nor would I even classify myself as an off roader. Had a 1997 Jeep tj since I was 16, open diffs, 4 cyl, small body lift with 30 in. tires. Meets all my requirements as capable 4x4 here in Puerto Rico (i.e. diving in the sand, sketchy mountain roads which are mostly paved, farm roads, etc...). With that said I am very interested in the new Bronco, my wife might say obsessed. In pouring through specs and threads here I have come across some discussion of the M190 and M210. Is the M210 available as a stand alone option or only available with the Sasquatch package? If available standalone does it require a locker? Perhaps, its too early too know? Can anyone with the knowledge explain the major differences (i.e. I've read the 190 is aluminum and the 210 is steel)? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm no gear head, nor would I even classify myself as an off roader. Had a 1997 Jeep tj since I was 16, open diffs, 4 cyl, small body lift with 30 in. tires. Meets all my requirements as capable 4x4 here in Puerto Rico (i.e. diving in the sand, sketchy mountain roads which are mostly paved, farm roads, etc...). With that said I am very interested in the new Bronco, my wife might say obsessed. In pouring through specs and threads here I have come across some discussion of the M190 and M210. Is the M210 available as a stand alone option or only available with the Sasquatch package? If available standalone does it require a locker? Perhaps, its too early too know? Can anyone with the knowledge explain the major differences (i.e. I've read the 190 is aluminum and the 210 is steel)? Thanks in advance.
The 210 is standard on the upper level models (Badlands, Wildtrak, FE) but is listed as being available on all of the other models. Don't know the specifics as to construction but, in general, beefier axles better support larger/heavier wheel/tire combo's.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i believe the m190 is what the ranger has, someone can correct me if I am wrong.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully it’s available as stand alone option for lower trims, but the available may mean with the squatch package. May also require 4.70 gears, which would be good.

The additional strength is worth it if any serious off-road use is expected.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i thought the m210 was cast iron.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So a little googling helped, not so much in shaft size but the number indicated ring gear size in millimeters. The 190 is 190mm, the 200 is 200mm.

For reference, a D44 has a ring diameter of 8.5” or 215mm. The 210mm front has a ring diameter of 8.27” where the 190 has a ring diameter of 7.48”.

To compare to Jeep terms, the D30 has a ring gear diameter of 7.125” and a D35 has a ring gear diameter of 7.62”

From Spicer’s catalog, the 190 has a torque rating of 5000 Nm or 3687 Ft-lbs and the 210 has 6500 No or 4794 Ft-lbs. A factory D44 front has a torque rating of 3460 Ft-lbs.

See as past history has shown, D44’s (solid axle) can live up to 35’s in Jeeps with no issue, I’m guessing the Bronco axles will be a non-issue as well. Hell, even the D44 TTB’s could take locked 35’s on those heavy pigs. Just had to watch the beams.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PR4X4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ and Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hopefully it’s available as stand alone option for lower trims, but the available may mean with the squatch package. May also require 4.70 gears, which would be good.

The additional strength is worth it if any serious off-road use is expected.
That’s kind of what I was thinking but the spec sheet typically denotes when something is available with the Sasquatch package. But the spec sheet also list one of GOAT modes as “mut and ruts” assuming it should be mud and ruts. So who knows what other errors are in there.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s kind of what I was thinking but the spec sheet typically denotes when something is available with the Sasquatch package. But the spec sheet also list one of GOAT modes as “mut and ruts” assuming it should be mud and ruts. So who knows what other errors are in there.
Yeah, I guess we find out in December, or not.
I want it, but will not do the squatch just to get it.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It appears to be the axle option for if you go with a front locker axle, which may be available separately from Squatch and is standard on higher trims. See below.
Ford Bronco Front Axle - M190 vs. M210 D1D68883-4DE0-44CB-B039-B1A3C38B6714

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The way I read it, the M190 is used when the truck has an open front diff, and the M210 is for the locking version. So, open=190, locker=210. So, the locker gives a size upgrade. Which is nice, since they didn't have to. Colorado ZR2 has a locking front in the M190, so Ford could've gone that way. I'm curious how closely the M210 is related to the M220 (Dana 44) in the rear. Some info seems to point to it being more or less the same diff size, but adapted for IFS, so it has a different name. But it also could be a smaller diff - 10mm on the ring gear size is a lot...

Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
The way I read it, the M190 is used when the truck has an open front diff, and the M210 is for the locking version. So, open=190, locker=210. So, the locker gives a size upgrade. Which is nice, since they didn't have to. Colorado ZR2 has a locking front in the M190, so Ford could've gone that way. I'm curious how closely the M210 is related to the M220 (Dana 44) in the rear. Some info seems to point to it being more or less the same diff size, but adapted for IFS, so it has a different name. But it also could be a smaller diff - 10mm on the ring gear size is a lot...
Let's dive into this deeper.

The new D44 in the JL Wrangler is actually weaker than the M190.
It's torque rating is lower.
This is because the M190's pinion angle is better.
It comes almost straight in to the ring gear. While the D44 front is a high pinion for driveshaft ground clearance.
However on the debit side, all else being equal, a IFS system puts more stress on the differential than a SFA because of the working rotational leverage of the CV joints while the suspension is flexing.

All that said, the Colorado ZR2 has some weak tea engines and tiny tires.
The 2.5L DOHC I-4 is: 200 HP and 191 lbs of torque.
The 3.6L DOHC V6 is 308 HP and 275 lbs of torque.
Only the 2.8L turbo diesel makes great power: 168HP and 369 lbs of torque.

The factory tires are only 30".
Same as the Base Bronco.
33" tires will barely fit with some mods.
32" just happens to be the biggest factory tire Ford puts on the M190 and 2.7L V6.

But the Bronco can fit up to 35"s and up without much effort.

TL;DR: Ford has to account for the 32"s being the starting point, while the Chevy is close to maxed out at 33".

I'm going to take a total WAG here and say that;
If you stay at 33" tires and get the automatic transmission ( because it puts less shock load on the drivetrain than a manual), you could run the M190 and a locker in the Bronco without breaking things.

I'm admittedly conservative about these things though.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That mut/ruts thing has bothered me since day one.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

maybe they missed a T and it should be M.U.T.T./Ruts

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jake, how does the Jeep hold up to the crappy PR roads? I left the island in 2014, but did not own a Jeep when I lived there. I miss the lechon and the Ceviche House in Isla Verde.