Sponsored

Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser?

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seriously cool! The one at right is awesome. Great mods, colors. And tube bumpers FTW.
Yeah that one was a no BS trail rig. He was running huge King remote reservoirs. You can't tell from the pic but that back was open too. The silver one was just as built but looked like his DD as well. Both were awesome rigs.
Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We did a tough trail with two FJs with solid axle swaps a couple weekends ago. They were BA! Throw enough money at something and you can get there. :)

FJs (2).jpg
With what swaps? If you listen to this board, it's amazing that they didn't crash on the way to the trail due to the terrible handling, death wobble, and the sheer threat of death on every corner... :D

Those are probablyt he most lifted FJs I've seen... and yeah, they look badass :D

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's a shame Toyota didn't do what Ford did with the Bronco. A ground up current FJ to compete with Wrangler and now Bronco would of definitly put them back on the overland map. I'd be all in parking one in my garage next to my Bronco and Wrangler.
Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? hqdefault

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only two-doors

And OJ.
SUV popularity.

Funny how people admit the FJ can't even do the basic things one asks out of a vehicle--fit people, don't get them sick, let me see out of it--and then it's right back to "all hail, Toyota!" I just don't get it.

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? oj_simpson_if_i_did_it

Sponsored

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don’t forget about Isuzu. ? They played the same game Toyota did before FJ.

Ford is smart in offering a completely removable roof and doors. Those two things are what always has hurt would-be Wrangler competitors.

That said, they all found their own space. ?

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? oj_simpson_if_i_did_it

I wish Suzuki still made the samurai. I remember under 10000 brand new.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In 2012 I bought a new FJ for $26k. I put $5k in mods. Suspension, bumpers, rock rails, etc. I sold it in 2017 for $32k. The is a very strong following for FJ's. Hopefully the Bronco will hold it's value. My projection is it won't. The volume will be so much higher than the FJ ever was the used market will be flooded with choices.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

To answer the question, yes, the FJ and Bronco would have been after the same market. We have an '06 FJ and it's all the cons listed but my wife will never let me sell it either! FJ owners are fanatical whether they mallcrawl or off-road it with good reason, it's solid, roomy and it really handles great for a big tall brick!

I wouldn't write Toyota out of future arguments either, they've teased updated FJ concepts about as long as Ford did with the Bronco. Now that Ford has made a business case with the resurrection of the Bronco you can bet that other manufacturers will consider their options like they did in the past.

I will say the death of these came back in '08. If anyone remembers the economy crash and gas prices with everyone scrambling for fuel efficient cars and EV's the FJ and Hummer brand just didn't make sense and even Jeep numbers were cut in half for a few years. Now gas is cheap and 84 month financing the norm for trucks and SUVs and we're all tired of being cooped up inside so the next big outdoor adventure campaign is perfectly timed.

award1492

Black Diamond
First Name
Nalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We did a tough trail with two FJs with solid axle swaps a couple weekends ago. They were BA! Throw enough money at something and you can get there. :)

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 1596458994527
Frigg’n cool. Doors off FJ. Sweet. Where is that?

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Frigg’n cool. Doors off FJ. Sweet. Where is that?
Top of Wheeler Lake trail at the lake parking lot in Colorado about three weekends ago. That back on the red one was open too like he chopped it. I think he had snaps for canvas and a pvc window but I can't find any pictures. He had actually twisted a u-joint on the hardest obstacle just before we got up there and was doing a trail repair. He got it fixed an made it to the top. Everything was pretty mellow after that obstacle.

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FJ was a good concept poorly executed. Other than the shorter wheelbase it did nothing better than a 4Runner and a lot of things worse. My neighbor had one for a while and I got to drive it and ride in it frequently and the only things that stood out were the negatives.
Honestly the low maintenance interior was probably the only real plus it had going for it besides the drivetrain. Useless back seat that wouldn’t fold flat, goofy barn door, football helmet visibility, vulnerable windshield with bad optics, etc.
Toyota is capable of making really cool stuff and making it last forever but they are so damn conservative in their designs in the recent decades that they are missing out on a huge market which you would think they would realize with the success of the Tacoma and 4Runner.
I’ve got a Tundra and the biggest complaint among owners is the fact that there are so many options and accessories for the Tacoma that they don’t offer for the Tundra.
We had a 100 series LandCruiser that I wish we had kept but the mpg was terrible and I was leaning toward getting a newer 4Runner to replace my wife’s Flex. Now I’m thinkOmg we keep the Flex and get the Bronco as a third vehicle. I do hope this pushes Toyota to start being bolder though.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I love my FJ Cruiser! It's been a great truck but at 200k+ relatively problem free miles, it's time for an upgrade.

I recently had the opportunity to buy a 2014 with 42k miles for 32K. They hold their value too well. Dealer now has that truck listed at 36K. I could get in a Bronco for that... hopefully. :)

But I want a removable top. But other that that, the FJC has what I need.

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? FB_IMG_1596582250215

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? FB_IMG_1596582226867
Sponsored

Last edited: