First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I’m wanting to get a Bronco and I’m also wanting to get a camper around the same time. I’m looking at a camper that is 2400-2800 lbs. I can’t imagine all the other gear being more than a couple hundred pounds. I’m new to campers and hauling for 5-6 hour long trips. I haul my boat but only short trips with my Tundra. I’ve heard of the 90% rule but wanted to ask. Will the 3500 lb tow capacity be able to handle a 2400-2800 lb camper in the mountains(obviously I’ll try to stay on the lighter side). I plan on getting a WDH and a brake controller wired. If it comes down to it I may also look at getting air bags.

And If it really really comes down to it my wife may keep my Tundra and we will trade in her car.
Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^^ Factory rating numbers have a large safety factory built in. You are extremely safe towing whatever numbers they assign. Think of it this way in 20-30 years from now, the vehicle has to be able to do those numbers or it is a liability issue for the manufacturer.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I’m wanting to get a Bronco and I’m also wanting to get a camper around the same time. I’m looking at a camper that is 2400-2800 lbs. I can’t imagine all the other gear being more than a couple hundred pounds. I’m new to campers and hauling for 5-6 hour long trips. I haul my boat but only short trips with my Tundra. I’ve heard of the 90% rule but wanted to ask. Will the 3500 lb tow capacity be able to handle a 2400-2800 lb camper in the mountains(obviously I’ll try to stay on the lighter side). I plan on getting a WDH and a brake controller wired. If it comes down to it I may also look at getting air bags.

And If it really really comes down to it my wife may keep my Tundra and we will trade in her car.
You can easy have more than 1000 pounds of stuff in a camper, water, food, gear, water tanks,. Just type camper weight in google and you will see most sites explain what you have to calculate.

Just remember there is a DRY weight and loaded weight.

Have fun camping!

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Often in a camping scenario you hit max payload before max towing, since many vehicles will carry several passengers, in addition to the stuff that is always in/on the vehicle (Air compressor, recovery gear, spare fuel, etc, along with the trailer tongue weight, and a cooler, etc.

OP
OP
DingoDog

DingoDog

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can easy have more than 1000 pounds of stuff in a camper, water, food, gear, water tanks,. Just type camper weight in google and you will see most sites explain what you have to calculate.

Just remember there is a DRY weight and loaded weight.

Have fun camping!
I can understand that on bigger campers but on a smaller one I wouldn’t imagine it would be that high maybe I’m wrong thanks for the insight

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10-speed is fantastic for towing. The engine braking it gives in my F150 is really amazing. Just remember to load the camper correctly. 3500lbs means about 350lbs on the hitch (10% of rated tow weight).

A WD hitch along with a brake controller will make life pretty good. With the short wheelbase, you may want to look at additional sway control. With campers in particular, sway can cause a lot more issues than the actual weight.

OP
OP
DingoDog

DingoDog

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 10-speed is fantastic for towing. The engine braking it gives in my F150 is really amazing. Just remember to load the camper correctly. 3500lbs means about 350lbs on the hitch (10% of rated tow weight).

A WD hitch along with a brake controller will make life pretty good. With the short wheelbase, you may want to look at additional sway control. With campers in particular, sway can cause a lot more issues than the actual weight.
Will do. I’ll be getting the 4door so it will help some with the wheelbase

RTLGarage

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (I also have a 1992 XLT)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is a good thread. I am in the same boat (or camper). My wife and I kicked off the research phase for buying a camper for the Bronco to tow so we can explore the great outdoors and do some wheeling. That's been the adulting dream of ours for a while now and we were hoping the new Bronco would help us achieve that dream.

The sales guy at Camping World said they would not sell anything other than a popup for a vehicle with a 3500lbs towing capacity. Trying to steer clear of a popup, I don't like the idea of leaving a popup open during the day while wheeling. Fabric screens are not much of a security feature. Even looking online, it's hard to find a camper that the GVWR is at or under 3500 with the amenities we want. I am finding ones at 4000-5000 GVWR that fit our build perfectly.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a good thread. I am in the same boat (or camper). My wife and I kicked off the research phase for buying a camper for the Bronco to tow so we can explore the great outdoors and do some wheeling. That's been the adulting dream of ours for a while now and we were hoping the new Bronco would help us achieve that dream.

The sales guy at Camping World said they would not sell anything other than a popup for a vehicle with a 3500lbs towing capacity. Trying to steer clear of a popup, I don't like the idea of leaving a popup open during the day while wheeling. Fabric screens are not much of a security feature. Even looking online, it's hard to find a camper that the GVWR is at or under 3500 with the amenities we want. I am finding ones at 4000-5000 GVWR that fit our build perfectly.
GVWR isn't the weight of the camper/trailer. It's the gross vehicle weight rating. Essentially it's how much weight in total the trailer can be loaded down with gear to be safe for the trailer axles/frame and brakes.

RTLGarage

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (I also have a 1992 XLT)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

GVWR isn't the weight of the camper/trailer. It's the gross vehicle weight rating. Essentially it's how much weight in total the trailer can be loaded down with gear to be safe for the trailer axles/frame and brakes.
I get that, but the GVWR of the Camper at capacity turns into what the Bronco needs to be able to tow. Correct?

Sponsored

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get that, but the GVWR of the Camper at capacity turns into what the Bronco needs to be able to tow. Correct?
Not necessarily, lots of people tow flatbed trailers with atvs, yard equipment etc that have with SUVs that have gvwr ratings higher than what a half-ton pickup can legally tow.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@RTLGarage there’s a thread in the overlanding forum on here about off-road campers. There’s some good stuff on there.

OP
OP
DingoDog

DingoDog

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So it seems like I should be good, I guess? I don’t know about a sway control hitch can it be used with a WDH?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

GVWR on a small trailer generally will be in multiples of 3500 since they use 3500# axles, one axle=3500 two 7000. What is important is dry weight plus gear. I wouldn't hesitate to tow 3500 with any Bronco or maybe fudge it a bit with a properly equipped 4 door, due to weight and wheelbase.

Water is your biggest weight add on, fresh tank and holding tanks can add up.

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As somebody who has over 500,000 miles of towing experience and has camped a couple hundred times as an Eagle Scout I can tell you the weight will quickly add up between passengers, gear, and supplies in both the bronco and the camper. Also unfortunately in today’s day and age of everybody distractive driving you will have a time where there will be an emergency situation and the bigger your vehicle the better off you will be in that situation! I’ve seen dozens of accidents where it comes to vehicles towing trailers. I myself was T-bone on the freeway by a car that spun out and only my quick thinking of slamming the trailer brakes to max as I saw my 10,000 pound trailer swinging around to kiss the side of my pick up truck saved me! And lastly keep in mind the four-door bronco with a slightly longer wheelbase will be better at sway control than the two-door even with nanny devices. Things that affect your ease of towing is weight distribution of Gear, Crosswinds, Road conditions, the type of tires you’re running, what kind of suspension you have, etc, etc. Sure the Bronco may be able to tow your trailer but how are you gonna feel after five hours of possibly white knuckling it to get to where you’re going? Good luck ??
Sponsored