Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Much thx update, and glad to hear everything going well w new engine

here in B6g we're trying determine if these failures are confined to a range of engine build-dates - see table in OP, and list which includes links to your posts

If you don't mind, can we ask -
- do you still have your original engine ser# ? . . see photos in OP
- the ser# gives the engine build-date info
- if you don't have it, would you mind sending your VIN to our Ford rep @flip so he can lookup in the OASIS system . . you could send it to him by DM (direct message)

we're trying to fill-in the table of known build-dates . . maybe they're all confined to a small range ? . . maybe the failures are subsiding ?
of course many people are interested to know
It seems like Ford (and Jeep) have had metallurgy issues for some time:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/blown-2-7l-ecoboost-engines-tsb-what-root-cause.275006/
Sponsored

Morrilp

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Been following this thread as I am interested in purchasing a bronco with the 2.7l engine. Having owned other turbos in the past I know the technology that goes into keeping this one running smoothly. Good oil, better gas and frequent oil changes are key to avoiding detonation. Plus following proper turbo etiquette meaning 10 minutes to warm up the engine and 5 minutes to cool it down every time you get in and out. Here is a good video on this engine Turbo etiquette for Bronco 2.7 engine

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So 20 out of say 15000 is about 0.13%, so about 3-1/2 sigma instead of six for 2021, but still very few.

Reactions: Cat

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So 20 out of say 15000 is about 0.13%, so about 3-1/2 sigma instead of six for 2021, but still very few.
Are there 15,000 2.7 broncos on this forum? We’re talking 20 blown motors mentioned here, not the general population.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been following this thread as I am interested in purchasing a bronco with the 2.7l engine. Having owned other turbos in the past I know the technology that goes into keeping this one running smoothly. Good oil, better gas and frequent oil changes are key to avoiding detonation. Plus following proper turbo etiquette meaning 10 minutes to warm up the engine and 5 minutes to cool it down every time you get in and out. Here is a good video on this engine Turbo etiquette for Bronco 2.7 engine
That video on the turbos is great! Makes me want to buy an EV. :p

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are there 15,000 2.7 broncos on this forum? We’re talking 20 blown motors mentioned here, not the general population.
Good point. Let’s just say a blown motor is more likely to get noted here even if it is a non-member and so the actual versus popular is between the number of members with delivered 2.7s and the total number of delivered 2.7s.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good point. Let’s just say a blown motor is more likely to get noted here even if it is a non-member and so the actual versus popular is between the number of members with delivered 2.7s and the total number of delivered 2.7s.
I don't think trying to figure out the percentage of defective engines produced is within the scope of this thread. What we are trying to do is establish a pattern of similar failures. Fords take on the situation is that there have currently been a "handful of very vocal" customers affected. Catastrophic engine failure before the 1st oil change is the type of thing that tends to make customers "very vocal", so it wouldn't surprise me if we have info on most 2.7 failures, or we could have only a small sample. We don't know

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't think trying to figure out the percentage of defective engines produced is within the scope of this thread. What we are trying to do is establish a pattern of similar failures. Fords take on the situation is that there have currently been a "handful of very vocal" customers affected. Catastrophic engine failure before the 1st oil change is the type of thing that tends to make customers "very vocal", so it wouldn't surprise me if we have info on most 2.7 failures, or we could have only a small sample. We don't know
I know - just trying to convince myself that this is OK. I don't remember blown engine threads when the JL or JT came out, but admittedly I didn't have a vested vehicle on order interest either.

Sponsored

Slosh1

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1) @mmcq - thread** - fail~July 21, 1146 mi
2) Jose Hernandez - posted - fail~Dec 2 ?
3) @jeremy.wilson237 - 1st post, further - fail Dec 10, 2012 mi
4) @ToddGinGA - 1st post - fail Dec 5, 1358 mi
5) @Bubbabow - 1st post, update - fail Nov 21, 4000 mi
6) @Nikole - 1st post - fail~Nov 1 ?, 2900 mi
7) @Hailey Jo - 1st post - fail Dec 4, 3581 mi
8) @Lance103222 - 1st post, update - fail Dec 23, 2024 mi
9) father of @Shinoko - 1st post, further - fail Nov 21
10) @estone28 - thread** - fail Oct 21, < 1000 mi
11) Steve Seale - posted - fail Oct 22, 0003 mi
12) @Broncoshrimp - thread** - fail Sept 10, 2400 mi, new 2.7L
13) fbf of @bytheway - 1st post - fail Oct ?
14) @yogi_stvl - 1st post, further - fail Sept ?
15) charr124 @BN - posted - fail Oct ?, 1524 mi
16) @roofone - posted - fail Sept ?
17) @69 Mach I - thread** - fail Nov 14, 2744 mi, new 2.7L**
18) @Broncitis - posted, further - fail~Nov 5, 2200 mi
19) @Broncitis - replacement also failed - Dec ?
20) @International_George - 1st post, thread - fail Dec 24, 1795 mi

** threads covering their repair experiences - (lines 17, 10, 12, & 1)

- so far the engine build-dates run 21160 - 21216 - see how to read Engine Ser#

- the frequency of failures seems less than last month
- in October a Ford employee (@Jay3630, deleted soon after) made five posts re 'bad batch of brittle valves' - 'April batch' - see posts #1, #2, #3, #4, #5
- if the failures are caused by 'bad valves', maybe that 'April batch' has been working its way thru the system - then the problems could subside

If Your Engine Fails - dealer service of course, also :
- good to call Ford Customer Svc
- good to send VIN & full name to @Ford Motor Company here in B6g
- and the engine ser# would be very helpful in B6g build-date tracking efforts

example Engine Ser# Labels -

engine ser# & build date 21160 c.jpg

View attachment 233158

- B6g trying determine if the failures are confined to a range of engine build-dates, see also 2.7 Failed Engine Tracking Thread
- for nine of the engine failures we have this build-date info

Engine Build-DateFail Date
21160 (09 June)​
10 Sept '21​
21161 (10 June)​
14 Nov '21​
21166 (15 June)​
~ 01 Nov '21​
21175 (24 June)​
24 Dec '21​
21207 (26 July)​
23 Dec '21​
21209 (28 July)​
21 Oct '21​
21209 (28 July)​
04 Dec '21​
21214 (02 Aug)​
10 Dec '21​
21216 (04 Aug)​
? Oct '21​
The dealer replaced the starter and the engine won’t crank over. They told me they need to pull the valve covers to confirm what the issue is but I know what’s next. The way it shut off as I was stopping was a little rough and had the character of rotating mass not easing to a stop, it hit a wall meaning this thing is froze up.
I wonder how long it will take to get the engine swapped and back on the road?
Built date approximately 10/17/2021

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
good info, but the most important data point is ENGINE build date - imbedded in its serial number

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealer replaced the starter and the engine won’t crank over. They told me they need to pull the valve covers to confirm what the issue is but I know what’s next. The way it shut off as I was stopping was a little rough and had the character of rotating mass not easing to a stop, it hit a wall meaning this thing is froze up.
Ask your dealer to take a picture of the sticker shown in the original post of this thread before they do any further work on it. It's helpful to have that engine serial number for correlating these failures.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, thx update, I remember your post Friday afternoon. At least no accident - everyone okay.
As others mention here, if the engine is blown it'd be very helpful to know the engine build-date - see photos below and in OP. Maybe the service dept can take a look and provide it to you -
Replacement usually several weeks - check-out the repair threads** in OP -

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] engine ser# & build date 21308 c

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] engine ser# & build date 21160 c
Sponsored