First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is similar to my planned install, except I was going to look for open space under the center console.

Glad to see there are other spaces available, and that there is a way to achieve all of the mount locations that I want.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see three antennas in your picture, and it seems from the thread that you ended up using the Jeep CB bracket on the spare tire carrier. In some of your pictures it looks like you also have antennas mounted to the drivers side near the mirror? Got links for any of these options? I'd prefer to add my HAM antenna up front mirroring the AM/FM antenna

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@allhorse you are a ninja my friend, i have no idea how you got that fuse box out, i have resigned myself to failure for the time being

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@allhorse you are a ninja my friend, i have no idea how you got that fuse box out, i have resigned myself to failure for the time being
That was the hardest part. I'm pretty sure there must be an easier way, but I didn't want to start pulling apart the dash without a quality shop manual.

Sponsored
OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see three antennas in your picture, and it seems from the thread that you ended up using the Jeep CB bracket on the spare tire carrier. In some of your pictures it looks like you also have antennas mounted to the drivers side near the mirror? Got links for any of these options? I'd prefer to add my HAM antenna up front mirroring the AM/FM antenna
This was the part I used for antenna mount, but it looks like it's backordered now. I'm sure Amazon has something similar.

Comet Antennas 3D4M GigaParts.com

I just drilled a hole to mirror the AM/FM mount and the rest was pretty straightforward.

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you run the handheld through the center console? I want to put mine in the same place.
I cheated :) I had already done the trailer electric brake controller installation and it steps you through digging into the center console. Do a search on the the Ford/Lumen/RedArc trailer electric brake install. I just used a 7 ft RJ-12 patch cord from Amazon to extend it.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I’ll snap some pics in the AM. I got things functional but I’m waiting on a few pieces to come in before the radio and control unit hit their final spots

kk7ama

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Bronco Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It looks great...but, you lost me at pulling the fuse box. I'll leave that to a professional (like you).
This is my first how-to post so go easy on me. I've played with ham radio and gmrs for years with handheld and base units (yes, I'm licensed for both). I decided it was time to get a real mobile unit with 50 watts. The Yaesu FTM-300D met all my needs, and then some. Looking at the Bronco mounting options, the remote head unit was required for a clean installation. This installation is not for the faint of heart, so buckle up.

The first decision was where to put the main control unit. Surprisingly, there is a lot of open space above the driver's left foot behind the dash. The Yaesu has a very loud speaker, so I wasn't too worried about the under dash option. I thought about fabricating some brackets, but I finally decided to mount it to the back of the frame that holds the fuse panel. Unfortunately, the fuse panel had to come out so I could drill some mounting holes. This was a pain in the ass and had me rethinking options, but finally got it out without breaking anything. All the wiring had quick release levers, but the physical size of the fuse panel made it hard to remove. The Yaesu has a great mounting bracket with a quick release button, so once the bracket is mounted, the button will drop the main control unit straight down. Easily removeable from the vehicle if needed.

The second decision was where to put the remote head unit. I didn't want this getting in the way of day to day activities in the Bronco, and I wanted the ability to use it from the passenger seat (I get to play with the radio while the wife is driving). My only real option was the front of the overhead aux switch console. To fish the control panel wire through, you have to take off some trim. They need to come off in the 1,2,3 order shown in the photo. None of this messed with the airbags. Ford cut a one inch notch in the pinch weld above the aux switch console to leave room for wires to come through. I was able to use a coat hanger to go from the aux switch console notch to the A pillar. Don't try to pull the aux switch assembly out. I broke a clip and never did get it out. Then I had to figure out how to mount the remote head unit. I didn't want to drill holes in the plastic, so I fabricated an aluminum mounting plate and used 3M Extreme double sided tape to mount it. I had to bend the plate slightly to match the contour of the plastic, but the tape was padded so it was forgiving on an exact contour match.

The next piece of the puzzle was the handset mic. Since I don't transmit often, I opted for the center console box. The Yaesu can even run without the handset and use a bluetooth headset on vox (haven't tried that yet).

The last piece of the puzzle was the antenna. I looked at all kinds of mounting options for the rear door, but I didn't see any options I liked. So I went with a front option. I chose the same mounting location as the AM/FM antenna, but on the driver's side. I should still have ditch light options later. I use the stubby antenna for around-town APRS stuff and convoy communications. I switch to the 40" antenna for the camp site and emergency needs. It uses a standard PL-259 connector so I may play with some other antenna options.

For power, I used the AUX 2 circuit. The Yaesu uses about 12 amps on max transmit power so I didn't have too many choices. The Bronco has a nice rubber plug to handle passing the power and antenna through the firewall. Once I get some real electrical diagrams for the Bronco, I may find a different permanent power source, but this works for now.

20211127_141521790_iOS.jpg

20211127_145900489_iOS.jpg

20211127_145835047_iOS.jpg

20211127_150027656_iOS.jpg

20211127_150150735_iOS.jpg

Apillar-trim.jpg

20211211_174924742_iOS.jpg

20211211_175317500_iOS.jpg

20211211_155346832_iOS.jpg

20211204_202918192_iOS.jpg

20211219_154428021_iOS.jpg

20211219_154507760_iOS.jpg

20211219_154608544_iOS.jpg

20211127_145900489_iOS.jpg
Nice install! I have an FTM-300 as well and your install has given me some direction. Does anybody have any thoughts on fabricating an antenna mount that will bolt directly to accessory ready mount(s) above windshield where the light bar would attach?? I am just looking for some possible roof mount solutions….

divedog101

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where did you get the antenna mount for the mirror?

Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was the part I used for antenna mount, but it looks like it's backordered now. I'm sure Amazon has something similar.

Comet Antennas 3D4M GigaParts.com

I just drilled a hole to mirror the AM/FM mount and the rest was pretty straightforward.
When I mounted my ditch lights and wiring, I found that wiper cowl very difficult to get under due to the wipers holding it down. Did you have to remove your wipers to lift the wiper cowl up enough to mount the antenna?

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I mounted my ditch lights and wiring, I found that wiper cowl very difficult to get under due to the wipers holding it down. Did you have to remove your wipers to lift the wiper cowl up enough to mount the antenna?
It was a little tricky, but the wipers stayed on. The coax feeding the mount had enough stiffness that I could use it like a coat hanger to push the mount up through the freshly drilled hole.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there any companys Making a bronco specific kit yet that would be awsome

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is similar to my planned install, except I was going to look for open space under the center console.

Glad to see there are other spaces available, and that there is a way to achieve all of the mount locations that I want.

Thanks!
Yeah, I’m thinking about mounting mine under the center console as well. Gonna be a few weeks before I can pull it apart though to see just how much room is under there. One concern I have is airflow and over heating of the unit.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I’m thinking about mounting mine under the center console as well. Gonna be a few weeks before I can pull it apart though to see just how much room is under there. One concern I have is airflow and over heating of the unit.
Someone on here mounted a unit under the enter console. I think It was a Midland MXT275? Looks like there's quite a bit of room.
Sponsored