Sponsored

All the people with cracked windshields - repair or full replacement?

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone who’s had their windshield cracked, chipped or scratched from rocks did you have the whole thing replaced or try and have it repaired? I got hit bad yesterday by what looked like a small geo rock little larger than a golf ball it made a tiny chip but scratched the glass up really good. I think it might be repairable but really don’t know, it even left some brown stain I can’t get off the glass. Hit so hard I’m really surprised it didn’t break the whole windshield. I’m guessing the rock was up in somones fender well caught in snow and when they hit a bump the snow fell along with rock.
Tomorrow I’m going to call a glass repair company that’s local but just asking here to see if anyone else has had any luck repairing theirs instead of replacing the whole windshield.
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, had a rock hit, created a star with indent. Had it filled with resin, but within 4 weeks it started growing. As with everything else Ford, the glass is thin.

Get OEM replacement so you dont lose logo....

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Try getting it fixed first. If done correctly, it will seal it to prevent moisture from getting in and then freezing. It really depends on the chip. Insurance will cover this and if it fails later, they will replace it. Once chipped it will always be a place that can grow into a crack, but I’ve had a chip fixed over 10 years ago and it has survived in Wisconsin winters. One caveat though, my brother did it and has been in the glass business for 50 years.

OP
OP
Frankie945

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That’s what I was worried about it getting bigger especially with the cold temperatures. The chip is tiny probably .5mm or less but the scratches are pretty bad. It’s right in my line of sight too. I gotta say though if you seen and heard this rock hit the windshield it took it like a champ I think any windshield would of got damaged with this impact. I just got bad luck with new vehicles.
Yes, had a rock hit, created a star with indent. Had it filled with resin, but within 4 weeks it started growing. As with everything else Ford, the glass is thin.

Get OEM replacement so you dont lose logo....

Jofenech

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The glass shop that does my chip repair guarantees the repair for i believe 90 days, if it fails in that time they credit repair cost to new glass

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That’s what I was worried about it getting bigger especially with the cold temperatures. The chip is tiny probably .5mm or less but the scratches are pretty bad. It’s right in my line of sight too. I gotta say though if you seen and heard this rock hit the windshield it took it like a champ I think any windshield would of got damaged with this impact. I just got bad luck with new vehicles.
If the chip is less than .5mm, then they will probably tell you to ignore it. I have many of those that size on my Escape. What you should be concerned with is if it is a star type chip with little cracks emanating from the center. That you want to fix. Small crater type chips of that size I’d say don’t worry about it. The windshield is considered a structural part of the vehicle so once is has a large crack, it should be replaced for safety reasons if you are so inclined.

OP
OP
Frankie945

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The glass shop that does my chip repair guarantees the repair for i believe 90 days, if it fails in that time they credit repair cost to new glass
This place I found that’s close has a lot of positive reviews and it seems like it’s the same guy that’s been doing it for years so hopefully he lives up to his google reviews. I thought about ordering a glass buffing kit and repair kit but afraid I’ll mess it up and make it worse.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Try getting it fixed first. If done correctly, it will seal it to prevent moisture from getting in and then freezing. It really depends on the chip. Insurance will cover this and if it fails later, they will replace it. Once chipped it will always be a place that can grow into a crack, but I’ve had a chip fixed over 10 years ago and it has survived in Wisconsin winters. One caveat though, my brother did it and has been in the glass business for 50 years.
You get 10 YEARS out of a windshield?!

In Arizona they're a yearly maintenance item...

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put the Aeroskin II on the hood, to protect the lip. After installing (!) I realized the effect of the upwards edge - at speed that likely produces air pressure to help deflect rocks.

I got hit 3 times on my way to Santa Fe, but no chip and no indent.

At slower speeds this will do nothing though
Ford Bronco All the people with cracked windshields - repair or full replacement? 20211211_081134

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I put the Aeroskin II on the hood, to protect the lip. After installing (!) I realized the effect of the upwards edge - at speed that likely produces air pressure to help deflect rocks.

I got hit 3 times on my way to Santa Fe, but no chip and no indent.

At slower speeds this will do nothing though
Ford Bronco All the people with cracked windshields - repair or full replacement? 20211211_081134
Front end of my CO OBX has the same Aeroskin II. No rocks yet (knock on wood)!

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You get 10 YEARS out of a windshield?!

In Arizona they're a yearly maintenance item...
Still have the original in the Escape so 16 years. Had one chip sealed over 10 years ago. The rest of the small chips are still there.

My daughter lives in the East valley and drove the 202 and 101 to Scottsdale for many years. She’s had a crack in her windshield for years but has never replaced it to the best of my knowledge. Lot of construction vehicles as the building has moved East.

Vellicate

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2014 Flex Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getting the windshield replaced in my Badlands on Wednesday. Had a small chip that turned into a crack before I could repair it. It was in the black outer section of the glass. I usually repair chips as soon as I find them, but couldn't see this one. Got a chip 2 weeks ago in my Flex, stopped on the way home and bought a kit. Repaired it as soon as I got home. I commute 60 miles a day on the expressway, rock chips and cracks happen frequently... Surprisingly, my 1995 F150 still has the factory windshield in it.

OP
OP
Frankie945

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just updating this tread, the window guy just got done fixing my windshield and it looks perfect now he got the scratches and the chips out and it cost me 85 bucks which I was happy to pay to get rid of it. If your in Louisville KY area with this same problem call Erwin at Superglass windshield repair. Super nice guy and excellent service.

Bran57

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got a tiny chip along the bottom black outer portion as well. Had it repaired same day it happened a couple weeks ago. This morning with the cold and the heat on inside it turned into a half foot crack.

No windshield replacements available through Ford at the moment in Canada at least with no ETA for arrival. The glass company who was in contact with Ford today to order the replacement also called me back 30 minutes later after chatting with them to say that Ford wants an extra $50 to get on a list to even order the replacement… and that price doesn’t get deducted from the total as a deposit. Great customer service Ford.
Ford Bronco All the people with cracked windshields - repair or full replacement? 70BDDB3A-73C2-441E-89E1-40C4CD3E7B88

OP
OP
Frankie945

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Damn that sucks did the repair place have a warranty maybe they can fill it in with something again to try and make it last a bit longer.

Got a tiny chip along the bottom black outer portion as well. Had it repaired same day it happened a couple weeks ago. This morning with the cold and the heat on inside it turned into a half foot crack.

No windshield replacements available through Ford at the moment in Canada at least with no ETA for arrival. The glass company who was in contact with Ford today to order the replacement also called me back 30 minutes later after chatting with them to say that Ford wants an extra $50 to get on a list to even order the replacement… and that price doesn’t get deducted from the total as a deposit. Great customer service Ford.
Ford Bronco All the people with cracked windshields - repair or full replacement? 70BDDB3A-73C2-441E-89E1-40C4CD3E7B88
Sponsored