Sponsored

Towing capacity poll

The towing limit is 3500# for 2 and 4 wheel Broncos. Where do you stand on this figure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Definitely, the 4dr has a longer wheelbase than my Xterra and I have 5000lbs towing. (with a weaker engine/trans too)
Thanks! I am also trying to figure out if you lose anything, like BLIS, if you go with a tow package.
Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a disappointment but not a surprise. Maybe they will make the p/u version with a higher towing capacity to compete with the Gladiator.
ummmm... not meant to compete with the gladiator. do you mean the wrangler?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ummmm... not meant to compete with the gladiator. do you mean the wrangler?
P/u = pickup, which has been spoken of, rendered, half expected to happen. That would not be wrangler competitor, that would solely be gladiator competitor(gladiator is wrangler pickup, so bronco pickup=competition).

Course even if that happens as some say it will, going to be years before it would be made.

And as of now the Bronco is basically competing with gladiator until there is a bronco pickup version. Sure ford didnā€™t develop bronco aimed at gladiator, but it will be cross shopped and the advantages/disadvantages of each weighed as they are both in pretty similar categories(and with both being removable roof off roaders, fairly limited competition). For example, Iā€™m cross shopping them right now, and at the moment looking like Iā€™ll be going with the gladiator. Iā€™d much prefer the bronco, and donā€™t need a pickup bed, but without a half decent tow cap I wonā€™t be getting bronco. And no Iā€™m not asking for it to match the gladiator at all for tow cap, expected less for sure. But not this much less for a 4 door.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

P/u = pickup, which has been spoken of, rendered, half expected to happen. That would not be wrangler competitor, that would solely be gladiator competitor(gladiator is wrangler pickup, so bronco pickup=competition).
ahh ok i was wondering what that meant lol

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do any of you have a camper that you're referring to towing? Like to go camping somewhere and leave the camper at base camp and go wheeling? Not talking a boat, utility trailer etc..

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco is an off-roading beast and not an overlanding cruiser. Itā€™s not for hauling boats or barges behind it . Too cute and cuddly for that. The vast majority of owners especially of the two door variety will have no intention of putting their beloved pony to any hauling duty that looks like cruel and unusual punishment ?!

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know the Ranger is only rated at 3500 towing capacity, anyone who wants more can convert to an F-150. However, IMO with the Bronco there is a gap. The Ford Explorer has the optional Class III Trailer Tow Package (52T) with a 5,000lbs towing capacity with the 2.3L EcoBoostĀ® I4. Considering the Explorer offroad capabilities, or lack thereof, I'd like to see Ford step up the Bronco towing capacity to accommodate those looking to do more offroad. At least offer a package that can get the towing up to 5000lbs. The Toyota 4 Runner is rated at 5000lbs towing.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...l/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Explorer_Oct15.pdf

Truth be told, I may be passing up the Bronco for the reason... still weighing the options.
The tow package on the Ranger ups it to 7500lbs

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do any of you have a camper that you're referring to towing? Like to go camping somewhere and leave the camper at base camp and go wheeling? Not talking a boat, utility trailer etc..
Yup 23ft bumper-pull. All aluminum construction and no tip-outs. 4000lbs dry, 5400lbs GVWR. When I go hunting it's pretty stripped down with less than half a tank of water and definitely under 5000lbs.

Last edited:

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was hoping for a little more capacity to tow a lightweight trailer I currently tow behind my '08 Ranger. That said, the 3500 is greater than the '08's rated towing for a manual FX4.

Which leads me to question... Do we know what the 2 door, manual Bronco towing will be? I find it hard to believe it's 3500 for all body/engine/transmission/suspension options.

I was hoping I could upgrade to a slightly bigger travel trailer, but now I'm thinking I need to win the lottery and buy a motorhome an tow the Bronco... Anyone heard anything on flat-towing a Bronco?

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™ve got a toyhauler and (currently) 4 motorcycles to choose from to take with me on trips. I wouldnā€™t expect to keep my current setup with a bronco, but even trading in the toyhauler for a smaller one would need at least 5k tow cap from the bronco. So yes, I would love to haul the camper, set it up somewhere, and then have the choice of off-road with the bronco or on road with the motorcycle for a few days wherever Iā€™m at.

In fact Iā€™m planning a trip within the next couple years which would be 2-3 months of touring around bits of the country Iā€™ve yet to reach(and revisit some I have), and it will likely be the only time I make it to some places with my own vehicles(if itā€™s clear across the country I usually fly, so this would likely be the only time Iā€™d have all my own toys that far). Thereā€™s roads I want a motorcycle for as well as trails off road I want to try, and this would be my big chance for both. But without 5k towing, Iā€™ll be buying something that can tow and still play off-road. So Iā€™m still holding out hope for a tow package thatā€™s actually a tow package on at least the 4 door, but thatā€™s the only thing that would get me in a bronco.

Sponsored

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And as of now the Bronco is basically competing with gladiator until there is a bronco pickup version. Sure ford didnā€™t develop bronco aimed at gladiator, but it will be cross shopped and the advantages/disadvantages of each weighed as they are both in pretty similar categories(and with both being removable roof off roaders, fairly limited competition). For example, Iā€™m cross shopping them right now, and at the moment looking like Iā€™ll be going with the gladiator. Iā€™d much prefer the bronco, and donā€™t need a pickup bed, but without a half decent tow cap I wonā€™t be getting bronco. And no Iā€™m not asking for it to match the gladiator at all for tow cap, expected less for sure. But not this much less for a 4 door.
SAME HERE! Wanted to buy the Bronco instead of a Gladiator, but as of now that's out. I need to pull a 4400 lb (max load) cargo trailer. Want something fun that can do it.

Maybe the Bronco will make the Gladiator cheaper. It sure needs to be, IMO.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was hoping for a little more capacity to tow a lightweight trailer I currently tow behind my '08 Ranger. That said, the 3500 is greater than the '08's rated towing for a manual FX4.

Which leads me to question... Do we know what the 2 door, manual Bronco towing will be? I find it hard to believe it's 3500 for all body/engine/transmission/suspension options.

I was hoping I could upgrade to a slightly bigger travel trailer, but now I'm thinking I need to win the lottery and buy a motorhome an tow the Bronco... Anyone heard anything on flat-towing a Bronco?
Yes it's all good I think you can just throw the transfer case in neutral. There are two threads on this forum that talk about it and you can get more detail in them.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good point. While many 4-door shoppers are not thrilled with the rating, 3,500 lb is very generous for a short 2-door.
My six-year old Escape can tow 3,500 pounds. It's wheelbase and length are only about 5" more than the Bronco two-door and substantially shorter than the Bronco 4-door.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And some people don't have the available space to keep a secondary tow vehicle.

I can do tit-for-tat ALL DAY on this until you and others understand that an additional vehicle Is Not An Option for some of us.
Well, I know people that take their 4x4 F150s off road all the time, so there is that.

buy the Bronco donā€™t buy the Bronco. Just drive what you like and hopefully like what you drive.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd prefer a 5k limit and I have a suspicion that ratings will go up near launch. But either way I have my F150 or Excursion to do the heavier towing.
Sponsored