Sponsored

Road trip today, gas mileage observation.

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Today I went for a 300 mile road trip, 1/2 on a posted 70 mph interstate and the other 1/2 on a 55 mph county high way. I set the Bronco in ECO mode and used the cruise control set at both posted speed limits. I'm in Iowa so both roads were pretty much flat. I used the trip tracker 1 for the 70 mph travel and trip tracker 2 for the 55 mph travel. The 70 mph cruise control jaunt tracked the miles per gallon at 16.6 and the 55 mph cruise control jaunt tracked the miles per gallon at 20.5 Both in Eco Mode. I have a 4 door base sasquatch'd automatic with the 2.7 engine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds about right. Surprised that your your mpg wasn’t a little higher at 70 mph. I have a 2 door, 2.7. My driving is always combined or hwy and my average for a trip has never been below 18 and never above 21 mpg.

Last edited:

Bronco-saurs

Outer Banks
First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer / 2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Kind of surprised, I do mostly local driving (not many places above 50mph) with the 2.7 4 door OBx Sasquatch, I'm getting 15.8mpg. Have a road trip coming up so I'll finally see what that gets on highway.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems like the amount of lead foot driving, and higher speeds with this brick of a vehicle encountering air resistance, are a reason for some of the mpg variances.

I also wonder how much of a difference the weight of the vehicle is making, between some of the lower optioned 2-door base models, and the higher optioned 4-doors. Because there is nearly a 1000lbs weight difference between some of those models. And you don't get to carry around 1000lbs extra weight without some mpg penalties.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems like the amount of lead foot driving, and higher speeds with this brick of a vehicle encountering air resistance, are a reason for some of the mpg variances.

I also wonder how much of a difference the weight of the vehicle is making, between some of the lower optioned 2-door base models, and the higher optioned 4-doors. Because there is nearly a 1000lbs weight difference between some of those models. And you don't get to carry around 1000lbs extra weight without some mpg penalties.
I wonder this too......

I have a 2 door Basesquatch on order. I went with one of the lightest packages, hoping for the best performance and also MPG.

And it will be just me driving it around most of the time, with mostly nothing in it. And on straight back roads steady 50 MPH. My 97 TJ nets me 19-21 MPG- and it has 31" tires and no gearing upgrade. I would hope for the same MPG at least.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if there is a physics limitation that results in 55mph being the most efficient on average for most vehicles? Something like, regardless of gearing, turning the potential energy of fuel into kinetic energy is overcome by wind resistance and tire friction over 55 mph? Any physics majors in here?

I can say, that my '11 Camaro SS got the EPA highway mileage of ~25mpgs at 65, but I did sustained drives on FL backroads (US 301) at 55mph and saw consistent low to mid 30s mpgs. My '13 Mustang GT was the same way (both 6 speed manuals). Had a '98 Trans Am auto that I got over 30mpg calculated from a fill up on 301 until a fill up in pinellas county once.

And my Jeep gets terrible mileage overall, but in '19 I took my wife and daughter to Captiva, FL, and the only way I could get my daughter (18 months) to nap was to drive her around. So I would drive from captiva through sanibel, to the bridge to the mainland and turnaround. Get back to northern Captiva and turnaround again. Anyway, driving around at 35 mph, I was getting high 20s mpgs sustained.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today I went for a 300 mile road trip, 1/2 on a posted 70 mph interstate and the other 1/2 on a 55 mph county high way. I set the Bronco in ECO mode and used the cruise control set at both posted speed limits. I'm in Iowa so both roads were pretty much flat. I used the trip tracker 1 for the 70 mph travel and trip tracker 2 for the 55 mph travel. The 70 mph cruise control jaunt tracked the miles per gallon at 16.6 and the 55 mph cruise control jaunt tracked the miles per gallon at 20.5 Both in Eco Mode. I have a 4 door base sasquatch'd automatic with the 2.7 engine.
Thanks for the real world numbers.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it can get windy in Iowa, so I'm wondering if you noticed any head or tail winds on your trip.

OP
OP

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know it can get windy in Iowa, so I'm wondering if you noticed any head or tail winds on your trip.
It was a nice day yesterday, very light winds. If anything I was driving into the wind on the interstate and a side wind on the high way. But again very light winds.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I drove mine cross country and back I noticed when you're at or above 2300 RPM the fuel economy begins to worsen, noticeably. There is definitely a happy medium on the highway/interstates.

For record I drive a 4dr BL, sasquatch 2.7. 7k mile MPG is currently 18.1, it was closer to 18.5 1000 miles ago, but thanks to Forscan and unlocking the Sport Mode it has since dropped at an alarming pace haha.
Sponsored