First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Mini Cooper S roof rack hold up to 165lbs. Maybe it has to do with the rack being connected to the top of the windshield frame.
Maybe the weight limit is related to the fact that if you have 500lbs up there in emergency driving situations its possible for the windshield to get cracked from the load.

Maybe a more serious type rack mounts to those mirror points. I havent noticed anything in the rear as far as extra mounting points but maybe the rear attachment is stronger, but would not work with the soft top. As for the front I could see downbars going to the mirrors and the mounting points on the windshield being good for a light bar. Maybe there is even a way to run the power wires into those mounts so you dont have to be drilling.

I need a rack with atleast a 200lb rating and 750lb static.

If Ford has any intentions on overlanding then they will have a superior rack available, and this rack is for posers and surfers.
Sponsored

Rangerz520

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2019 F150 Reg Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Love it..I change my mind on the color every day and yes we will have options !

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just like the Wrangler, if you're planning on running any kind of sizeable roof top tent you'll need some reinforcement. Either an exoskeleton cage type rack or there are a few companies that offer internal bracing that ties into the roll cage. With over a year until they start delivering I'd imagine at least a few of the companies that offer Jeep solutions will have something for the Bronco near that time.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I plan on using my ground tent, I was also disappointed at the dynamic 110 lb limit. Most rooftop tents can weigh around that much, some even more.

Think clamshell tents are lighter, but also can be expensive. Wonder if aftermarket solutions can help with this without being unattractive?

Do you guys think this is due to the roof panels being removable? if so, guess I can live with the trade.
Total roof rack limit is over 400lbs!
Has nothing to do with the panels. The rear rail mount attaches underneath the roof panel (but probably uses it as load-bearing). They just don't want you doing high speed emergency lane change manoeuvres or rock crawling with more than 110lbs up there.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just like the Wrangler, if you're planning on running any kind of sizeable roof top tent you'll need some reinforcement. Either an exoskeleton cage type rack or there are a few companies that offer internal bracing that ties into the roll cage. With over a year until they start delivering I'd imagine at least a few of the companies that offer Jeep solutions will have something for the Bronco near that time.
I think 450lbs limit is more than enough...
150lbs tent, and 2 people at 300lbs average for example...?

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think 450lbs limit is more than enough...
150lbs tent, and 2 people at 300lbs average for example...?
Most tents are close to 150lbs, yes, which is already almost 40% over the dynamic rating. And that's generally considered dynamic for paved road driving. Off-road where things are pitching and rolling is considerably lower. If you and your partner slip under the combined 300 pounds left awesome. But bedding, any gear you want to keep up there with you, etc. also adds up quickly.

The Rhino backbone for the JL Jeep is only ~$300 plus whatever rack you choose to get you closer to 300lbs dynamic and 800 pounds static. I'd rather skip the factory rack and make a slight more investment in a far more capable rack personally.

That being said, I want a larger 4+ person RTT so for a little more than the Backbone plus rack I'm better off building a trailer that I can customize to how I plan to camp. May still get the factory rack just to have for day to day things or a little extra storage on longer trips.

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most tents are close to 150lbs, yes, which is already almost 40% over the dynamic rating. And that's generally considered dynamic for paved road driving. Off-road where things are pitching and rolling is considerably lower. If you and your partner slip under the combined 300 pounds left awesome. But bedding, any gear you want to keep up there with you, etc. also adds up quickly.

The Rhino backbone for the JL Jeep is only ~$300 plus whatever rack you choose to get you closer to 300lbs dynamic and 800 pounds static. I'd rather skip the factory rack and make a slight more investment in a far more capable rack personally
That being said, I want a larger 4+ person RTT so for a little more than the Backbone plus rack I'm better off building a trailer that I can customize to how I plan to camp. May still get the factory rack just to have for day to day things or a little extra storage on longer trips.
How is it that this jeep setup gives you MORE dynamic load rating? Doesn't make sense. Jeep might have something to say about that. I dunno...
Jusy sounds like it would be 3X more likely to have a rollover accident, regardless of what rack system you use.
Personally, I travel solo and I'm thinking about getting the lightweight GFC rooftop tent (80lbs)

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

#110 for travel is not much when you can get a suitcase to 50lbs lol. really hoping for some alternate solutions

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
ah okay thank you. So it just means the thing can break off in extreme cirumstances over 110lbs but it can hold up to 400lbs without the roof caving in?
You can almost certainly put more weight on your roof and drive around. But be mindful that more weight up top will greatly increase the center of gravity, thus increasing chances of rollover. Especially in a lifted suv.

Going a little over (like 1.3x 110 lbs) is probably okay. I wouldn’t go more over long distances. Not worth the risk because you never know when you need to make a quick maneuver to avoid a dumb driver or deer.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after the Q&A i saw this. Im new to the offroad scene and want to get into overlanding like with a tent on top of the car or maybe a cage that will hold tons of stuff. However this concerned me

eay5a45ya.png

I weigh more than 110lbs lol. What exactly do these numbers mean? can the roof really not store anything over 110lbs? I feel like im confused.

Jeep is max rated at 150lbs....

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/how-much-weight-can-a-jeep-hardtop-support-max-weight-limit/

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is it that this jeep setup gives you MORE dynamic load rating? Doesn't make sense. Jeep might have something to say about that. I dunno...
Jusy sounds like it would be 3X more likely to have a rollover accident, regardless of what rack system you use.
Personally, I travel solo and I'm thinking about getting the lightweight GFC rooftop tent (80lbs)
Because something like the Backbone or any kind of reinforcement of that nature takes load off the shell top and distributes it down to the bedrails or the cage? It's not that complicated of a concept. You're stiffening the plastic shell and then tying into something metal. The reason for the weak dynamic ratings is the material of a Jeep or Bronco top. You don't generally have to do near as much reinforcing, if any at all, on a vehicle that's not designed to remove the roof.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This rating is for the hardtop (fiberglass) roof - held to the vehicle with quick release cam locks and a few bolts (if like the Jeep). There are much higher limit racks available for the Jeep that require you drilling through the hardtop and attaching directly to the roll cage (you lose the ability to remove the top but you have a rack on top anyway).

JK

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because something like the Backbone or any kind of reinforcement of that nature takes load off the shell top and distributes it down to the bedrails or the cage? It's not that complicated of a concept. You're stiffening the plastic shell and then tying into something metal. The reason for the weak dynamic ratings is the material of a Jeep or Bronco top. You don't generally have to do near as much reinforcing, if any at all, on a vehicle that's not designed to remove the roof.
No matter where you distribute the reinforcement, it's still 110lbs on top of the vehicle. It's not gonna make it less prone to rolling no matter where you tie into.... Roof or bumpers... You're not shifting the CG at all.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Apparently you can’t get the roof rack with a 4 door on 35s so no 4 door squatch with roof rack. My STi roof rack good for 150 lbs!
9E05D6B1-8AED-441C-807D-A35D896AB9A7.jpeg
Where did you see the roof rack issue when combined with the Sasquatch Pckg?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No matter where you distribute the reinforcement, it's still 110lbs on top of the vehicle. It's not gonna make it less prone to rolling no matter where you tie into.... Roof or bumpers... You're not shifting the CG at all.
I don't know where you got stuck on the rollover thing. The dynamic rating is so low on Jeeps and Broncos because the tops are plastic and too much weight shifting around up there on the stock rack can potentially literally rip the rack out of the top or take the entire cap off its mount. Yes, there is an increased rollover risk any time you mount anything up higher raising the center of gravity. That's true whether the roof is plastic, steel or adamantium. But it's not why Jeeps and Broncos need more reinforcement if you do choose to mount something up there.
Sponsored