First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Glad I decided to wait before I bought one, as I was originally going to go for the 2.7. But after seeing this makes me hesitate. But the question is the 2.3 enough?
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can promise I wouldn't be the only one to raise holy hell if my motor grenaded and Ford said tough titties. Breaking components because I was thrashing it is different than complete engine failure. I hope you can see the difference.
Should Ford help recover you if your engine blows because of their own issues with manufacturing? Yes.

Are they legally or fiscally required to do so, and will anyone launch a PR campaign to shame them if they don’t? No.

While I’m all for Ford making this right, you should be prepared for what Ford is *required* to do if your engine blows up, not what you *think* they should do.

Signed,
Focus RS owner with Ford warranty frequent flyer miles

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad I decided to wait before I bought one, as I was originally going to go for the 2.7. But after seeing this makes me hesitate. But the question is the 2.3 enough?
2.3L with 7MT is wayyyy more than enough for my Badlands so far. I’ve been soft footing it for the break in period but the aggressive gearing of the manual and 4.70 gears is honestly very performant, even in normal and eco modes.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have the opportunity to drive both I would highly recommend it. I was surprised by the 4-banger and for sure if I went 2-door I would have considered it. I'm generally just not a twin turbo 4-cylinder guy, personally. the 2.7L is awesome!

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
** At some point it seems Ford would have an obligation to contact the affected 2.7L owners w some kind of safety bulletin ? **
Have you by chance mentioned that to Ford yet? :cool:

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have the opportunity to drive both I would highly recommend it. I was surprised by the 4-banger and for sure if I went 2-door I would have considered it. I'm generally just not a twin turbo 4-cylinder guy, personally.
The 2.3 has a single turbo and the 2.7 is a twin turbo.! I'm loving my 2.3. I hate that the 2.7 is a problem for some.!

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well Esteban touched ever so slightly on it since Jordan brought it up on the BN chat. There is a "team" on it is the gist of it.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well Esteban touched ever so slightly on it since Jordan brought it up on the BN chat. There is a "team" on it is the gist of it.
They are actually discussing the 2.7 issue in a recent Chat?

If so, the Ford attorneys are not going to be happy campers.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are actually discussing the 2.7 issue in a recent Chat?

If so, the Ford attorneys are not going to be happy campers.
Going on right now. Short version is "they are looking into it"

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This seems like a soft confirmation that there's an ongoing issue -- possibly even still affecting engines being produced today?

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to hear it’s got some attention!

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the 2.3 badlands manual for 5 months while I waited for my 2.7 auto to come in last week. The 2.3 is definitely adequate. I was getting almost 21mpg avg since I bought it. That was with lots of offroad and fireroads.. daily driving it.. I put 11,300 kms on it. It was fine. I don't have anything bad to say about it other than it was a bit sluggish... But in a 5000lb vehicle that was to be expected. I have a week with my 2.7 auto. It's a different beast. It's blatantly more torky, feels stronger and a bit lighter on it's toes. The shifting in the auto is good and smooth... But still working itself out. I have about 543 kms on it so far. No complaints really out of either so far. 🙂

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an update for everyone…
Talked w/my dealer tonight. My new engine is on back order, duh right? Well it is on back on from Ford Engineering because they are re-engineering the motor. So bittersweet, I will have to wait longer but it will be with a new improved motor.
So it does sound like Ford has figured things out and is working on it.
I would love for someone recently in the same situation try and find out as well on their end, it would validate.
Now, question is, how far and widespread is the issue among current Bronco’s on the road? Is Ford building a fix for current (recall)?
I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my amazing new Ford Echo Sport as a loaner for god knows how long. If anybody has specific questions you want me to ask, please shoot them to me. I plan on being there for a little. I am hoping to get the spark plug as well.
Sponsored