Sponsored

Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser?

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I've said it in many posts and caught hell for it... FJ came back with an IFS to take on the wrangler. No one lifted em much, and they never took off... one generation and done.
IFS is the reason they never got lifted and never looked cool in the mall parking lot. IFS is the reason they never got the image of the wrangler....

Easy to tell that you never owned an FJ and got all of your FJ knowledge off of the internet. IFS had very little to do with the demise of the FJ. Most of the things that killed it were the horrible visibility, poor fuel economy, those half rear doors, small second row space, zero tech, and Toyota not updating them at all. I had an 08 and loved it for the capability, ruggedness and reliability. When kids came a long I couldn't deal with the rear doors any longer.

The reason you didn't see many lifted is mostly do to the low production numbers. There isn't a billion of them running around like the Jeeps. Very little to do with IFS. Oh and your Bronco WILL HAVE IFS!! LOL

You can't even argue with the resale value of them. Probably best resale of any vehicle around.

I've been going to the FJ Summit Event in Ouray CO for many years since having my FJ, and continue to go in my 4Runner. It's 14 years running now. I wonder what they will say when I show up in the Bronco next year. :oops:
Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easy to tell that you never owned an FJ and got all of your FJ knowledge off of the internet. IFS had very little to do with the demise of the FJ. Most of the things that killed it were the horrible visibility, poor fuel economy, those half rear doors, small second row space, zero tech, and Toyota not updating them at all. I had an 08 and loved it for the capability, ruggedness and reliability. When kids came a long I couldn't deal with the rear doors any longer.

The reason you didn't see many lifted is mostly do to the low production numbers. There isn't a billion of them running around like the Jeeps. Very little to do with IFS. Oh and your Bronco WILL HAVE IFS!! LOL

You can't even argue with the resale value of them. Probably best resale of any vehicle around.

I've been going to the FJ Summit Event in Ouray CO for many years since having my FJ, and continue to go in my 4Runner. It's 14 years running now. I wonder what they will say when I show up in the Bronco next year. :oops:
Agreed. Once I upgraded the suspension and tires, the reliability and super tight fit and finish of the FJ set it apart, especially from Jeeps. (No ridiculous transmission failures, for example.) But all those negatives were too much to outweigh the positives for most prospective buyers. But not me. I love all the positives so much that they easily outweigh the negatives.

Funny enough, if you come through Northern New Mexico, you should suddenly start to see the percentage of FJs rise sharply. I'm not sure why they were so much more accepted here, and maybe it's true in parts of CO also. But my lifted 2014 FJ fits right in here compared with the rest of the country, just as you said.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Top of Wheeler Lake trail at the lake parking lot in Colorado about three weekends ago. That back on the red one was open too like he chopped it. I think he had snaps for canvas and a pvc window but I can't find any pictures. He had actually twisted a u-joint on the hardest obstacle just before we got up there and was doing a trail repair. He got it fixed an made it to the top. Everything was pretty mellow after that obstacle.
I thought that looked like wheeler. Been a while since I have been out there. Kids getting older and having to take them around for sports and what not. When we went I ran into a friend of a friend with this old bronco. Mine is the Fj.

47735909-C35A-42D8-891F-50AC59D999D0.jpeg

D98D1253-600D-4E2F-8FDE-EF66C04B4E29.jpeg

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I thought that looked like wheeler. Been a while since I have been out there. Kids getting older and having to take them around for sports and what not. When we went I ran into a friend of a friend with this old bronco. Mine is the Fj.

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? D98D1253-600D-4E2F-8FDE-EF66C04B4E29

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? D98D1253-600D-4E2F-8FDE-EF66C04B4E29
Nice. Both good looking rigs! Good to see an IFS rig killing the V.

Been there with the kid thing. We had three doing regional/travel sports at the same time. We all survived. :) Hang in there!

Maybe I will see you on the trail sometime.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hopefully soon in our bronco’s!!?

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really liked my FJ. My kids said the rear seats weren't comfortable, but I never sat in them, so who knows. Was a fun, enjoyable vehicle to drive, but I never felt like beating it like I've done to my K5s and my Tacoma. When I needed garage space it was easy to let go.

I hope the Bronco fills more of a niche for me than the FJ did.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Then why are you still here? :p
To keep informed on the latest and greatest comfortable good handling mall crawlers. I'm a Ford guy with 4 fords and 1 jeep... was hoping to make it 5 fords but doesn't look like it'll happen.

KozMQZ

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My FJ was fun... bombed around in it lots off road for 4 years til it ran its course... got stuck a few times... but ended up trading for a Raptor... two different animals... I'll lean towards the FJ anytime to play... hopefully the Bronco will play as nice

Ford Bronco Am I the only one that thinks Bronco would have competed the FJ Cruiser? 20151018_143025

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Red was my favorite color of all of them.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No... the FJ can tow a boat.

award1492

Black Diamond
First Name
Nalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Top of Wheeler Lake trail at the lake parking lot in Colorado about three weekends ago. That back on the red one was open too like he chopped it. I think he had snaps for canvas and a pvc window but I can't find any pictures. He had actually twisted a u-joint on the hardest obstacle just before we got up there and was doing a trail repair. He got it fixed an made it to the top. Everything was pretty mellow after that obstacle.
Dang that’s epic.

TriTipEater

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I loved my FJ. Had a 3” OME lift, 33” BFG KO2’s and the factory rear locker. Great off road. It was my daily driver for a job that required a lot of driving and I put a TON of miles on it in the 6 years I had it. Both of the catalytic converters went out which was $$$, but no other issues. I miss it, but looking forward to (hopefully) getting a bronco.

skeeter97

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FJ was by far my most favorite vehicle. Small lift with 33's and it went anywhere I wanted to go. Had the back windows rolled down for passengers (dogs) it would have been perfect. I still get nostalgic looking at old pics of that thing, had a LOT of fun in it. If Toyota brought back a 4 door Fj with removable top I'd have to take a good long look at one
Sponsored