Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The number of armchair statisticians on this thread is amazing. If your stats class didn’t include calculus or derivations, please stop talking about statistically significant sample sets and populations… 😁😝😂
Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone in another thread reported their dealer has two more blown 2.7’s in the shop in Washington state. Obviously can’t count those here unless they happen to be forum members, but is it a sign of what’s happening in the wild? Hope not!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- let's see, that's 2x per dealer times 3000 dealers . . . 6,000 nationwide

So 'bout 25%
Nah. There’s about 6 million 2.7 broncos delivered so far.

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What were the engine build dates? I'm not sure what the numeric codes mean.
I asked the same question and someone on here was nice enough to teach me; the first two digits are the year, the next three are the day of the year. So 21150 would be the 150th day of 2021. There are probably calendars for it, but if you divide the 150 by 30 it would get you an idea - so that would be around the end of May.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- let's see, that's 2x per dealer times 3000 dealers . . . 6,000 nationwide

So 'bout 25%
BTW- apparently the criteria for being a troll is-
Pointing out potential issues with the bronco or ford in general (ie MIC top, 2.7 blown motors, et)
Not owning one even though you have one on order (in my case 2).
Owning something other than a ford in the mean time.
Not being a blinded brand fanboy at all times.

Sound about right???

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . the criteria for being a troll . .
Pointing out potential issues with the bronco or ford in general (ie MIC top, 2.7 blown motors, et)
Not owning one even though you have one on order (in my case 2).
Owning something other than a ford in the mean time.
Not being a blinded brand fanboy at all times.

Sound about right???
Yeah we need to get 'em a bunch of T-shirts
- front & back - 0.0001% er

- or maybe @Wanted33 has the right answer . .

Have you by chance mentioned that to Ford yet? :cool:
they're watching

Last edited:

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

this is why he’s a salesman and not a mechanic or engineer
That's horseshit! (What the saleman said). This is the most common engine in the most common light truck sold in the U.S. The failures are for a narrow band of build dates, after several model years of reliable performance. Did Bronco owners in Jun-Aug 2021 suddenly become crazed drag-racers? I haven't heard of 'vehicle break-in" issues for several decades. I think the computerization of all vehicles has dropped these issues below statistical significance.

Manufacturers get bad batches of parts. These engines were made in the crappy Covid supply chain restart. Sloppy QC.

@Cat was a QC professional at Boeing. She can probably tell some "war stories"! :) Stuff happens.

SwissBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, JL, Hummer H1,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ironically, GM has the same problem with their recent 6.2. Escalade, Yukon and Tahoe

Wonder if they have/had the same valve supplier?

Hardly any bashing on the Caddy forum - dispite the 50k markups and 100K vehicle price

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah we need to get 'em a bunch of T-shirts
- front & back - 0.0001% er

- or maybe @Wanted33 has the right answer . .

they're watching
Wait, what'd I do. I've been good........:unsure: :cool:

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's horseshit! (What the saleman said). This is the most common engine in the most common light truck sold in the U.S. The failures are for a narrow band of build dates, after several model years of reliable performance. Did Bronco owners in Jun-Aug 2021 suddenly become crazed drag-racers? I haven't heard of 'vehicle break-in" issues for several decades. I think the computerization of all vehicles has dropped these issues below statistical significance.

Manufacturers get bad batches of parts. These engines were made in the crappy Covid supply chain restart. Sloppy QC.

@Cat was a QC professional at Boeing. She can probably tell some "war stories"! :) Stuff happens.
Yes...product manufacturing has its woes. An effective Quality Management System will correct and improve.. and WELCOME Customer feedback. Ford has not welcomed mine so far.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an update for everyone…
Talked w/my dealer tonight. My new engine is on back order, duh right? Well it is on back on from Ford Engineering because they are re-engineering the motor. So bittersweet, I will have to wait longer but it will be with a new improved motor.
So it does sound like Ford has figured things out and is working on it.
I would love for someone recently in the same situation try and find out as well on their end, it would validate.
Now, question is, how far and widespread is the issue among current Bronco’s on the road? Is Ford building a fix for current (recall)?
I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my amazing new Ford Echo Sport as a loaner for god knows how long. If anybody has specific questions you want me to ask, please shoot them to me. I plan on being there for a little. I am hoping to get the spark plug as well.
Questions we have been asking are which cylinder failed, and intake or exhaust ( if known). Sounds like Ford has put a hold on replacements till they figure out how far the problem goes...thats not an unusual move for them when a rash of failures happens

TravisC91

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
#26 incoming, it sounds like @TravisC91 had the same problem as me and potentially same outcome.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/won’t-start-in-freezing-weather.31836/page-4#post-1110961
Confirmed, talked to the head mechanic today and he was working on expediting a new engine to me. He said they found something metal in the pan about the size of a wrist pin from one of the pistons, but haven't confirmed what it is yet and he said he's not going to tear it apart. I guess I'll be driving this ugly red Bronco for a while :cry:

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Confirmed, talked to the head mechanic today and he was working on expediting a new engine to me. He said they found something metal in the pan about the size of a wrist pin from one of the pistons, but haven't confirmed what it is yet and he said he's not going to tear it apart. I guess I'll be driving this ugly red Bronco for a while :cry:
Keep us posted on your timeline. My ford rep is saying no ETA on parts. It’s been escalated, but my guess is they are doing some engineering changes as mentioned previously. Also, be sure to get on @Lucchese list of blown motors.
Sponsored