Sponsored

Why does hard top come with the 2 door but not the 4 door?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I really wish they'd give you the damn choice. I personally have no interest whatsoever in a soft top. If I end up in a 4 door, I will buy the hard top, take the softie off, and likely never put it back on.
Uh, pretty sure there is an option to get the hard top only, just like on a Jeep. So for a $1200-1500 option (just like on a Jeep), you’ll be paying the true difference in cost between equivalentMy equipped 2 and 4 doors.

Sure the soft top makes the cost (and weight) differential look less than it is. It is a price point trick to step you up. But people need to be realistic, a 4 door is bigger (with more materials and at least an extra seat and seat belt) so it should cost more, probably more than it does.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think people are thinking to hard about this. I doubt it has anything to do with history. I think Ford has price points they are trying to hit and removing the Hard Top from a 4 door closes the Gap from the 2 door.

Had they done 2-door Soft top and 4-Door Hard top the gap would have been easily more than 1k than it already is.

Same reason why each trim "up" seems to lose some items, but gain different items from the trim immediately to it's left... it so people can find a Bronco within their price range.. well unless they are looking for "Free" !

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

6ba4fbf80be429bb3bfb9d9d66b1d682.gif

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 4 Dr with a soft top looks hideous, like a tarp thrown over it. Its looks are transformed with a hardtop.

Ford knows it. Ergo....easy $?$

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

MIG1963

Badlands
First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know why this is?
My guess, which should be confirmed after the vehicle release, is that the 4 door soft top has capabilities that could not be reproduced on the 2 door by ford due to the restricted space between the roll cage and the back window line. the 4 door longer cargo space gave Ford more room to shape the roll cage angle more gently. This will allow them to have room to pull back the soft top. No room on the 2 door due to the roll cage sweeping down more sharply to stay away from the rear passenger heads. The aftermarket folks will not be obliged to built the soft top in any specific way (no safety or crash tests) so they will make something fit no matter what.

mismith

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Jeep JKU, 1992 Jeep YJ, ‘71 F100, ‘02 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just hate the fact I cannot get a soft top on the 2 door. I’ve talked to a lot of Jeep folks that were excited about trading in on a new Bronco. All the guys like me who mainly want a soft top are holding off until one is available. I don’t understand, If Ford was going after the Wrangler then they made a huge mistake not offering a factory soft top on the 2 door. Fingers crossed on a factory offering by 2021...

The roll cage wouldn’t be the reason for not offering a soft top on 2 door. Look at the 2 door Wrangler roll cage. It’s the same, just like the 4 door Bronco roll cage is the same as 4 door Wrangler.

MIG1963

Badlands
First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just hate the fact I cannot get a soft top on the 2 door. I’ve talked to a lot of Jeep folks that were excited about trading in on a new Bronco. All the guys like me who mainly want a soft top are holding off until one is available. I don’t understand, If Ford was going after the Wrangler then they made a huge mistake not offering a factory soft top on the 2 door. Fingers crossed on a factory offering by 2021...

The roll cage wouldn’t be the reason for not offering a soft top on 2 door. Look at the 2 door Wrangler roll cage. It’s the same, just like the 4 door Bronco roll cage is the same as 4 door Wrangler.
I'm not saying they could not offer A soft top. Only that they probably could not offer one that behaves like the 4 door one... That would cause hissy fits. Time will tell.

Sponsored

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Im sure BestTop, Trektop or someone will have a soft top for the 2 door out before I even have mine.

Last edited:

bronchalen84

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To get more money from you....

I've had just a soft top for 12 years. This time I'm getting dual tops, both have their advantages and the cheapest time to buy them is with the vehicle.
What is the advantage of having both? What does a soft top do?

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What is the advantage of having both? What does a soft top do?
You can start your day with the top up, drop it down during the day for open air wheelin'. Then pop it back up if it rains or it gets cold in the evening.

bronchalen84

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can start your day with the top up, drop it down during the day for open air wheelin'. Then pop it back up if it rains or it gets cold in the evening.
I’ve not owned a vehicle like this. I saw a video on someone taking soft top down. Seemed complicated and a bit time consuming. Sounds like you have experience w/ both soft and hard top. Wouldn’t just using a hard top always be easier? Can’t we just take parts of hardtop off as needed and put it back on? Or, is there a distinct advantage of soft top vs hard top (e.g. fun, driving?)
Sponsored