Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still don't believe this is a 'significant' problem that everyone needs to be freaking out about. The numbers aren't there, yet, and hopefully won't be. It's been narrowed down to 2 specific time frames, and Ford is actively addressing the issues when they occur. They're just not coming out and telling everyone the sky is falling, or it would kill their sales. From the samples shown, they don't need to. If this were like the issues that GM has been having for the last 3+ years with their Dynamic Fuel Management system bending pushrods and collapsing lifters at an alarming rate, than yes we should be worried. I've seen DOZENS and DOZENS of videos of GM shops with 5-10 newer SUV's with less than 5k miles sitting on their lots waiting to be fitted with new parts, and the forums are full of them. This Tahoe forum alone has 4 pages of threads that come up when you search 'lifter issue'. Not to mention the fact GMs fix isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue long term.

Just by seeing the part number change on the heads shows that Ford is already on top of the issue. I'd watch closely, but unless you're near the aforementioned time frames for the bad valves, just send it.
You've got some great points, but we all waited SO long for our rigs, many of us use them as daily drivers. It does not sound like resolutions are coming in very timely, nor does having someone take almost your entire car apart instill much confidence. We're allowed to be worried. I called my buddy in Houston this weekend who worked in service at a Ford dealer and he claimed at least that seven Broncos came in with blown engines within a couple days. The issue is likely a little bigger than we have the visibility to see, but certainly not sky is falling.
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still don't believe this is a 'significant' problem that everyone needs to be freaking out about. The numbers aren't there, yet, and hopefully won't be. It's been narrowed down to 2 specific time frames, and Ford is actively addressing the issues when they occur. They're just not coming out and telling everyone the sky is falling, or it would kill their sales. From the samples shown, they don't need to. If this were like the issues that GM has been having for the last 3+ years with their Dynamic Fuel Management system bending pushrods and collapsing lifters at an alarming rate, than yes we should be worried. I've seen DOZENS and DOZENS of videos of GM shops with 5-10 newer SUV's with less than 5k miles sitting on their lots waiting to be fitted with new parts, and the forums are full of them. This Tahoe forum alone has 4 pages of threads that come up when you search 'lifter issue'. Not to mention the fact GMs fix isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue long term.

gm response.png

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/08/how-gm-dealers-handle-engine-valve-lifter-issues/

6.2 lifter.png
6.2 lifter 2.png

Just by seeing the part number change on the heads shows that Ford is already on top of the issue. I'd watch closely, but unless you're near the aforementioned time frames for the bad valves, just send it.
And how do YOU know Ford is actively addressing it, unless you work for them. Dont belittle this issue or our concerns. It has been pure cooincidence that one of these 2.7s has not failed while passing a semi tractor trailer! Does someone have to pass before we get real info from Ford, which really is the core issue. Why cant Ford send a message to those 2.7 owners in the window, telling them what is being done and how they will address it? Ford communications SUCK!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

gm response.png

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/08/how-gm-dealers-handle-engine-valve-lifter-issues/

6.2 lifter.png
6.2 lifter 2.png

How in the world does Ford still have so much good will with you?

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You've got some great points, but we all waited SO long for our rigs, many of us use them as daily drivers. It does not sound like resolutions are coming in very timely, nor does having someone take almost your entire car apart instill much confidence. We're allowed to be worried. I called my buddy in Houston this weekend who worked in service at a Ford dealer and he claimed at least that seven Broncos came in with blown engines within a couple days. The issue is likely a little bigger than we have the visibility to see, but certainly not sky is falling.
If he's claiming that, have him get some snapshots of the engine dates. Lets help prove or disprove the situation.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And how do YOU know Ford is actively addressing it, unless you work for them. Dont belittle this issue or our concerns. It has been pure cooincidence that one of these 2.7s has not failed while passing a semi tractor trailer! Does someone have to pass before we get real info from Ford, which really is the core issue. Why cant Ford send a message to those 2.7 owners in the window, telling them what is being done and how they will address it? Ford communications SUCK!
Like I said, the part numbers have changed, AND they're actively replacing the entire engines.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think Ford will be calling this out to dealers or consumers until they find/figure out the exact root cause
Its just a crying shame Ford had to RUSH Bronco to the market after only seven years of development and testing. I mean NASA only needed 10 to get to the moon & back.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In the past Ford didn't do anything even after people were killed (see Pinto). They waited until they were sued.
Nowadays they probably won't try that strategy since info will leak out and put them at greater liability (see Volkswagen).
If they don't act quickly on this, they are looking at getting sued into oblivion if someone gets hurt.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, they're actively replacing them after they blow up on the highway.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] clappin

WTF do you want them to do? Stop an entire rollout for 30 vehicles? Take that times 10 and its still not a significant issue. Look at the 30 thousand plus people that are out enjoying theirs and beating the brakes off of them. If it were me it happened to, i'd sell it off on Carvana after the motor was replaced, and order a new one.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, thx this report . .
- ? he works there now ? or worked there before ?
- ? can he pass along the 5-digit engine build-dates ?
- ? and mileage ?
- we need more data -
I will see if I can get any clearer details from him without comprising who he is or anything like that. He doesn't work there anymore, but still had access to tools to look into things like my VIN and didn't see any flags. It was quite interesting though that he could ping my vehicle for instant status/codes.
Sponsored