Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The problem with the electric truck is going to be range if you use that power. 1000hp is 745kW, so if you are using all that, you are pulling 0.21 kW*hr from the battery every second (without accounting for losses, assuming 100% efficiency). The Tesla Model S, with the biggest battery came with 220 kW*hr capacity (IIRC), so you would drain that in 18 minutes and cover about 60 miles, if you could go 200 mph. Now, no one (outside a race track) drives around with their foot to the floor all the time, but the point, in a truck, to that kind of horsepower and torque numbers is towing, surely.

The Tesla S claimed a 200+ mile range for that battery, but this Hummer is probably twice the weight and twice the frontal area, so twice the power draw, empty, so 100-150 miles range. Towing a trailer that doubles the weight of the vehicle (something like 9-10,000 lb for the truck, similar for the trailer), now you have 1/4th the range, and are looking at 50-75 miles. That battery pack is probably 1500 lbs already, so increased capacity will just increase the curb weight and you will not double the range (but the expense will certainly go up).

Off road, you will use lots of power at low speeds, so the range will drop dramatically. Hard to see this working out well, really. TFL Truck did a video on this and documented the impacts with a Tesla Model X. They were pretty serious about it and their numbers line up with this reasonably well.

kboom180

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think I’ve seen similar articles posted several time.

Doesn’t really matter GM botched the hell out of the blazer and an Electric pickup is not going to save them. I can’t imagine who they plan to market it to.
Nothing like seeing dudes rolling around in chromed out bright yellow h2 or h3 Hummers. Im pretty sure those guys tarnished the Hummer brand beyond repair a decade or more ago.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nothing like seeing dudes rolling around in chromed out bright yellow h2 or h3 Hummers. Im pretty sure those guys tarnished the Hummer brand beyond repair a decade or more ago.
Hummer brand was far from tarnished, look at prices of 08-09 H2s or V8 H3Ts, they have a strong off-road following but I think it’s pretty clear the community is not interested in electric trucks any more than the rest of the country.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think GM tarnished the brand beyond repair on it's own with that low performance cartoon imitation of the H1 they called an H2

Yeah let's make it both really slow and really thirsty, and if they could make the interior out of leftovers from 1990s GM parts bin junk that'd be great

They used to be everywhere for a few years but most of them must already be in the junkyard, you rarely see them on the road anymore

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard they are claiming something like 400 miles of range with the electric Hummer, but obviously that will drop significantly if you're pushing it even close to these HP and torque numbers. I have a hard time seeing this vehicle getting much off road following - certainly not being all electric. Where it could do really well is with towing.

I'll admit I'm still curious, but unless they somehow manage to offer at a far lower price point than expected, I don't see it gaining the kind of following they hope for. Then again, having experience with real HMMWVs, I was never a fan of the look of the H2 and H3.

Their recent video mentions the reveal late this year, with production beginning a full year later. That's a LONG time to try and keep people's interest. We've seen how people are reacting to the Bronco's timeline, and this seems like it's going to be longer.

CO0LHand

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would add Toyota to that list. The 4Runner is great but its now a dinosaur in terms of tech and features.
For sure. I was looking at a 4Runner until I saw this sucker fleshed out. Ford has done a great job with interiors and tech and engines for awhile and I love the Raptor but have too many needs to get a truck again so this fills all the boxes.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would add Toyota to that list. The 4Runner is great but its now a dinosaur in terms of tech and features.
I like the current 4Runner minus boring drivetrain. The next generation may finally get a turbo and not be a dog. I’m sure it will be expensive.

Sponsored

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love love love electric. I bought a cheap electric car used just to try it out and love it. Also have an electric mtn bike I built that is so fun. I test rode Zero bikes and the new Harley Livewire and loved them both.

If your sphere of movement within the day is within the battery range It makes perfect sense. I reset my tripmeter everyday for a couple weeks on my ICE car before I bought my electric car just to see how much I drive everyday.. I had no idea. Turns out 90% of days are <50 miles for me.

It is so cool to wake up everyday with a full tank and pretty much zero maintenance but.. the biggest addiction is instant torque with no shifts. Just quiet uninterrupted seamless power..

Electric makes a lot of sense for 4x4 applications as well I think.. except the elephant in the room.. range. The beauty of a 4x4 is exploring wherever wanderlust takes you. Range anxiety takes the fun out of adventure. Everything else about electric would be sweet for off-road.

So until range is 1,200 miles.. A plug in with range extender, like the BMW i3 would be perfect.

The gives the advantages of a full electric drivetrain that can be plugged in and run electric for weekdays around town and all the <50 miles/day stuff. But on the weekend put gas in the range extender ICE and go explore to hearts content. I see so much more wildlife on my electric mtn bike than I did on my dirtbikes because its so quiet. Electric range of a 4x4 could be saved for those occasions. The Volt can do it currently..

So yeah I think an all electric Hummer pickup is still going to be a tough sell for a few years to general public.. but if Chevy put the Volt drivetrain in a 4x4 configuration in an H3 revival with removal top and doors.. that could be seriously cool.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would be expected right? The All Electric Hummer is interesting, but the rest is just the usual Chevrolet garb. They'll make the mistake as usual of building over too many 'name plates' trying to reuse parts and insisting that shoving a huge V8 in somehow makes it better. But hey, I'm bias.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
That would be expected right? The All Electric Hummer is interesting, but the rest is just the usual Chevrolet garb. They'll make the mistake as usual of building over too many 'name plates' trying to reuse parts and insisting that shoving a huge V8 in somehow makes it better. But hey, I'm bias.
In what way does shoving a huge V8 in something not make it better? But I repeat myself...