John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my wife's professionally done as well. We bought the Bronco and I keep cars until the repairs cost more than the value of the car. The one thing they didn't do on ours is inside the frame rails. I bought a few cans of Fluid Film and sprayed down all the bare metal they didn't coat: drive shaft, trans housing, hitch, various nuts and bolts, various areas of the engine compartment, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@SkyKing did you notice from the short time you had it prior to treatment to now, any reduction in road noise? Seems like it might cut down on some additional road noise.
I can’t claim that I actually noticed it, nor was I listening for it. But from looking at it, feeling it, and seeing where it’s been applied (plus the enclosed places I can’t see), it would be more than reasonable to expect that it would have significant sound deadening qualities. For me a lot of it is peace of mind - feeling that it’s not corroding and deteriorating continuously. It just feels less vulnerable and I want it to be as preserved as possible. Call the guys at Alpha they are really good to talk to (no high pressure snake oil salesmen). And give them my name!
I think the wax treatment is meritable. But. Let's say you move to Arizona. Honestly wondering if all that wax would not melt into a huge black puddle on a Phoenix summer day? In other words, how long is treatment expected to last?
I looked it up for you: Built to last the lifetime of the car: Insulates against temperature changes and provides sound-proofing for a quieter ride. Temperature range of active protection from -30°F to 302°F.

So... it would still melt in Arizona :)

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Importantly, for anyone considering this, the most beneficial and least expensive time to do this is when the car is new.

Otherwise a lot of your time and/or money will go into wire brushing, sanding, and treating existing rust, before you start to apply whatever protectant you choose.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The purpose of this thread is to provide information about my experience with professionally rust proofing my 2021 Bronco Wildtrak. This is an update to some earlier threads I started here:

“Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why.”

“Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!”

Background: I live in New England where they heavily salt the roads. My previous car (2006 4Runner recently had to be towed away for parts at 140K miles because the frame had rotted beyond repair – otherwise it was in great condition. This experience jaded me so I was particularly eager to avoid a recurring situation. Disclaimer – my 4Runner was one of the ones (like Tacomas which were recalled for frame rust) that Toyota outsourced the frame to a 3rd party that failed to properly treat for rust. I am now part of current litigation pursuit for 4Runners. That said, I’m now hyper-sensitive about rust and I keep my cars for a long time. This is my daily driver.

My Wildtrak Bronco is a Dirt Mountain POW, delivered on Dec 23, 2021. The day I got it, the roads were heavily salted. In less than 2 weeks, with only 250 miles on it, there was already a strange amount of rust build up on some parts. For comparison, a friend of mine, also in MA, has been driving his bronco since August (not from Dirt Mountain) and the parts on mine that are rusted are still pristine on his (did something happen at Dirt Mountain????).

So, I brought my Bronco to Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA to have it treated for future rust avoidance. This is a high end shop of perfectionists that restore/sell exotic cars, and provide services such as detailing, body work, performance mods, exhausts, stereo, engine/suspension upgrades, ceramic coatings, PPF, detailing, etc. This shop provided some insightful pics and video of before and after.

Who should keep reading:
  • Anyone who wants to see what the Bronco looks like underneath
  • Anyone who lives in areas where they salt the roads, who wants to learn more about rust protection approaches with before/after video
  • Anyone who wants to understand what Ford has/hasn’t done to protect Bronco’s from rust
  • Anyone in New England who is considering professional rust protection
About this vendor, pricing, and products used:
  • This is a high-end vendor. They are meticulous and the shop is like a museum. There are surely less expensive vendors that offer rust protection services. Personally, I was worried about finding someone I trust, because I am a skeptic on pretty much everything and the value/effectiveness of rust proofing has been debated for decades. This vendor left me confident that they did as very comprehensive job. They did a combination of cleaning/prepping the undercarriage, sanding rusted parts, treating them with rust converter, adding multiple coats of “hard wax” to the undercarriage, and spraying “Waxoil” into the frame and body cavities. They removed wheel wells and other parts. The treatment is intended to last for the lifetime of the car. There are other products that other vendors and DIY consumers use including Fluid film, NH oil, tar-like undercoating, and other products, which all have pros/cons and price implications. If your car is already heavily rusted, the cost would be more because it would require more preparation. For my vendor, with my "new" car, it was around $1200 to clean, prep and apply 4 coats of hard wax to the undercarriage. I had them go further to get inside the frame, rocker panels and other areas with Waxoil, for a few hundred more. If you choose to do business with Alpha Cars, and mention my name (Jeff Abbott), they will give you $100 off your service. No I don’t work for them. (978) 237-5906. Ask for Jacob. They are good guys.
Before you tell me that I wasted my money:
  • I understand that my Bronco is new and barely had any rust on it. However, I was alarmed at how quickly rust had already formed on some hardware and other parts in less than 2 weeks and it makes me cringe. I plan to keep my car for a long time and again, my 4Runner was just hauled away for parts from frame rust. Not going to let that happen again.
  • I understand that there is a realistic chance that I could have ignored this issue and I may never have a mechanical problem from rust ever.
  • I understand that there are DIY products that cost less and will help protect from rust, each with pros and cons.
  • I understand that rust proofing, ceramic coating, and other things are associated with snake oil salesmen, and some people feel that rust proofing doesn’t do anything at all, isn’t needed, or even makes things worse. I chose this vendor because I believe that they have integrity and expertise and the best products and processes, and will stand behind their work. Can I prove that it was worth it? Not yet.
Jeff, I don’t want to spend the time watching these videos. What are the key takeaways?
  • According to Alpha Cars, compared to most other cars, the Bronco has very little rust protection from the manufacturer. For example, the body panels have between 5 and 9 mils of paint thickness. FYI, a mil is a thousandth of an inch (not a millimeter). The Bronco frame has only 0.5-1.0 mil of paint, which is nearly nothing. For comparison, Alpha Cars tells me that most American cars have between 1-2 mils on the frame, and European cars usually have have more. Some places on the Bronco have no paint at all where they should.
  • Different products have pros/cons. Hard wax is for the undercarriage and it is more resilient to the outside world. Unlike oils, hard wax is designed to stay on the car for life with little to no maintenance. Unlike the old-school tar-like undercoatings, hard wax doesn’t gum up your undercarriage to the point to where you couldn’t get a wrench on a nut. The hard wax was applied over several days in 4 coats. Waxoil, is more liquid-like and is sprayed to the enclosed areas, where it can travel to hard to reach areas and penetrate. Also, DIY versions of these exist, and other people will use Fluid Film, NH oil, spent motor oil, or even WD-40, but these require annual reapplication.
  • It’s up to you as to how thorough you want to be, and it comes with a price. In my case, they not only treated the undercarriage and frame, but they also removed the wheel wells, flares and plugs in the frame/rockers to access many enclosed areas, including the entire inside of the frame. In the case of the Bronco, there are so many built-in holes in the frame, they did not need to drill the frame to access everywhere. In my case, they also sanded and rust treated the drive shaft and axle shafts. I may paint them too – really just for cosmetic reasons. My yellow Bilstein shocks are now black :(.
  • I am very pleased with the service and quality from Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA. I believe they did this as thoroughly as possible and they clearly take pride in their work. Again, if you give them my name (Jeff Abbott), they will take $100 off your service. And again, they do lots of other stuff that new Bronco owners would be interested in.
Okay, enough already, show me the Before/After Videos:

BEFORE VIDEO
with evaluation. This has a great analysis of the paint thicknesses, and shows where Ford did, and didn’t, protect the Bronco from rust:

AFTER VIDEO showing everything they did.

And here are some BEFORE pics (keep in mind this is from less that 2 weeks of ownership so it's obviously still in great shape overall and there is no rust on frame yet, but...):
IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg

And here are some AFTER pics (between 3rd and 4th coats):
IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg
Great video and pics! I think it was money well spent.

BrandoBD

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercab
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was just gonna climb under mine a spray the undercarriage with WD-40 every fall?

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That looks great. I plan to Fluid Film mine on my own. Am having it towed from the dealer next month so avoid as much salt as possible.

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just gonna climb under mine a spray the undercarriage with WD-40 every fall?
I am a believer in Fluid Film, but you might be interested in this video. This guys tests all kinds of things, including "Best Car Undercoating Products".

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had my wife's professionally done as well. We bought the Bronco and I keep cars until the repairs cost more than the value of the car. The one thing they didn't do on ours is inside the frame rails. I bought a few cans of Fluid Film and sprayed down all the bare metal they didn't coat: drive shaft, trans housing, hitch, various nuts and bolts, various areas of the engine compartment, etc.
They also removed the bash plates and wheel wells. They said the didn't need to remove the bumpers but were still able to get all of the inside of the frame.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think if I owned a lift, I would try to do it myself. But the more I watched the video the more I was glad I outsourced it. I probably would have sprayed areas that shouldn't be sprayed (like a heat shield and then realized how stupid that was)

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had something similar done to my Honda years back. It was called waxoyl or something like that, basically ruined the car. Was fine for a few years but eventually it starts to crack which let's water in, but it can't evaporate once it's between the coating and metal. At 74,000 miles the car had to be towed away, the whole underbody, brakes lines, etc rusted through. Anyways I hope this product works a lot better than the one I got, but I'll be sticking with thin oil based style undercoatings myself.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had something similar done to my Honda years back. It was called waxoyl or something like that, basically ruined the car. Was fine for a few years but eventually it starts to crack which let's water in, but it can't evaporate once it's between the coating and metal. At 74,000 miles the car had to be towed away, the whole underbody, brakes lines, etc rusted through. Anyways I hope this product works a lot better than the one I got, but I'll be sticking with thin oil based style undercoatings myself.
Yeah that's the stuff - I hope that doesn't happen to mine. I'm a little surprised given these guys really seem like experts and said it was the best product. They did say that they recommend having it re-examined every few years to see if any touch up is needed. It's been used for many years and I don't see many stories like this so I do wonder if we're talking apples to apples. I wonder how much is product versus process.

Here is the marketing - FWIW: https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/products/corrosion-protection.html

topoguide

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Land Cruiser UZJ100
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write up. I think these coatings can be a great idea. My 5th gen was coated, and it definitely helped. I am sure the coatings have come a long way since then.

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also based in Michigan and have been considering spending the $$ on doing this right. Who did you go with? Are you happy with the job?

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah that's the stuff - I hope that doesn't happen to mine. I'm a little surprised given these guys really seem like experts and said it was the best product. They did say that they recommend having it re-examined every few years to see if any touch up is needed. It's been used for many years and I don't see many stories like this so I do wonder if we're talking apples to apples. I wonder how much is product versus process.

Here is the marketing - FWIW: https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/products/corrosion-protection.html
That kind of leads in to my question. What happens when you’re off-roading hard and start scraping the undercarriage? Isn’t that going to allow water in and trap it as well?

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also based in Michigan and have been considering spending the $$ on doing this right. Who did you go with? Are you happy with the job?
Ziebart in Dearborn. They had a special package deal: rust proofing/sound deadening, Diamond Gloss paint protect (which included clay bar), interior protectant (which we didn't need because we have the vinyl seats), and something for the glass (like RainX on steroids).

Package price was $1000 which, when you consider rust proofing is close to $700, is a pretty good deal. The paint looked fantastic when I picked it up.
Sponsored