Sponsored

What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..)

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a fan of radio communications but never really set one up in a vehicle. I have a handheld dual band VHF, but want to mount a mobile radio in the Bronco.
We do a lot of exploring and dispersed camping, mostly solo trips or with one other vehicle.
What are you usually using your radios for? I imagine off road groups may have a preference and that dictates what you have. It seems FRS would be easiest since there is no license, GMRS is probably the best of all worlds now.

Do you chat with only people in your group, is there a common frequency for reaching out to others (like 19 on the CB)?

thanks for your info!
Sponsored

Wanderer351

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 E350 4x4 sportsmobile van. 2020 f150 2.7 crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m using ham radio and GMR ass. I have several BAEOFENG 5VR and a TYT 9800.. all programs exactly the same. So I can hand them to people tell them what channel to go to and we can either talk GMRS or FRS or get up into the higher ham radio bands

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m using ham radio and GMR ass. I have several BAEOFENG 5VR and a TYT 9800.. all programs exactly the same. So I can hand them to people tell them what channel to go to and we can either talk GMRS or FRS or get up into the higher ham radio bands
I’m thinking of ordering a couple Baofeng handhelds for the same purpose. (Yes folks I am aware of the FCC rules).

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For communicating with others we have ham license and use 2 meter and 70cm. Many areas we will travel in have repeaters that allow us to reach much further than just car to car. This will mainly be to listen to others and get help if we need it. We will also get GMRS license and a mobile radio (and hand helds) since these are getting more popular every year. Many 4x4 will have one if you need something hopefully someone will be around. GMRS also has a few repeaters in some areas. 2meter and GMRS seem to be the most used radio bands.

For just your own party all of the above is useful and you can also add MURS. MURS is 152 MHz and works pretty good outdoors.It does hnot need a license. MURS is not very popular and radios are limited so trying to call someone other than your own party is less likely than 2 meter or GMRS.

In the areas we want to get into having one of the above will be a great addition to a cell phone.
Ham requires a license that is a little difficult and requires study. GMRS also requires a license but no testing. FRS and MURS do not require license.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GMRS requires license? Is this different from like the little handheld radios I carry when I hunt out west?

Those are GMRS.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been looking at the midland mxt275 HARD. I like that the handheld part of it has the display so the bulk of the unit can be hidden away.

Figure hard mount the midland and pick up a pair of FRS handhelds (to pass out if no one has a gmrs) and I should be covered. I am not super knowledgeable but if I recall the gmrs can be used on the frs freq. The gmrs pay to use is not a huge deal...its not like a full blown test from what I can tell...just some money and register.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have the Midland GMRS MXT275 and just waiting on my Bronco. I'm old school and always had a CB back in the day. GMRS is the new CB's of today. Also have 2 handhelds Midland GMRS to use for spotting.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Plan on going with one of these.Easily converted to 11 meters (cb).
Technically a 10 meter ham (license required) radio. Illegal as a cb radio because of too many watts.

Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1642812508732

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm relatively new to radio things aside of the family CB radios in blister packs, just recently bought the new Wouxun KG-935G hand held GMRS (and yes, have the license) and I'm waiting for Midland to release the new 50W MXT575 (50 watt) this summer, also has all the controls and display on the handset, which I prefer, can install the base unit somewhere out of sight under the dash. I don't want anything that looks like it's worth a penny visible on the dash. The hand held part you can easily take off and stash away or just hide under a towel on the seat etc.
I do want one built in and one mobile unit, I like redundancy in emergency communications and you never know, might have to hike away from your stuck truck and find help etc.
I'll also have a satellite communication device, most likely an InReach but have not yet decided. Once I head out alone I won't leave without one.

I also have two of the cheap Motorola radios you can get anywhere, they do work on some of the GMRS channels too, used them on road trips in the past, much faster and easier to just press talk and let others know you're stopping for gas or to look at the what ever than using cellphones.

I don't plan to get into ham and all that, it's for group communication, emergencies, things like that. Including at home, wild fires or a nice earthquake will knock out cell service quickly.

The kg-935G also has FM radio reception, only way you'll get emergency info if things go sideways.

The channel notarubicon productions on youtube has lots of informative videos. For some reason he edits out his eyes blinking, so I can't watch more than one or maybe two videos in a setting before I get freaked out, but if you can get past this and some other quirks, the info he provides is really good.

edit to add: the "official" off road channel seems to be 16 (as in 4x4) in case you need to look for some help/contact out alone. I'm not sure how official this is, 19 seems to be the on road/trucker channel, but that's what a couple videos I watched suggested.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m thinking of ordering a couple Baofeng handhelds for the same purpose. (Yes folks I am aware of the FCC rules).
Highly recommend the Baofengs. I have 3 5UVRs and a BF-F8HP (8w handheld, probably not worth the price premium). You can program SO easily with Chirp.

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GMRS requires license? Is this different from like the little handheld radios I carry when I hunt out west?

Those are GMRS.
yes it does, it’s just a fee you have to pay. It’s rarely ever checked, especially if you’re using your radio responsibly.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yes it does, it’s just a fee you have to pay. It’s rarely ever checked, especially if you’re using your radio responsibly.

Gotcha...but, that's for little hand held's too? Like the ones you buy are Bass Pro or whatever?
Sponsored