Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm actually really impressed with the variety of configurations we seem to be able to get just from the modular hard top and standard soft top.

Image from the Rubicon pics / videos thread:

Ford Bronco Many Bronco Modular Top Configurations Shown So far 2021-bronco-offroading-rubicon-trail-1-jpe

From the photos and videos we've seen, we've got (at least):

Full soft top
Soft top - top only (rear window section removed)
Soft top - front folded back
Soft top - entire top folded back and stowed
Full hard top
Hard top - front panels removed
Hard top - front and middle panels removed (4 door)
Hard top - rear section removed and front panels remain
And of course, No top

While I haven't seen any pics, it's also been stated that the rear quarter windows can be removed in the hard top, so that adds a couple more configurations.

Not certain the front and middle panels in the 4 door can remain in place if the rear section has been removed, but I'd be surprised if that's not a possibility.

So just by picking the dual tops option with modular and soft, you're getting roughly 8-12 different possible configurations. (Or more, if you factor in that you can remove the driver and passenger panel separately.)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the stock top that comes with all the trims a one piece or is it 3 pieces?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Trail Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just wondering, does anybody know if the side windows on the hard top can be taken out? Is that what they mean by modular?

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run my 4 door wrangler most often with only the front freedom panels on and the rear of the hardtop removed....super happy to see this is possible on the bronco also!

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you were in a two door and took the panels over your head off, would it blow the rear hard top off at speed? It seemed awfully light weight.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not certain the front and middle panels in the 4 door can remain in place if the rear section has been removed, but I'd be surprised if that's not a possibility.
The front pieces are the same for the 4DR and 2DR. So, it will make no difference in removal.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you were in a two door and took the panels over your head off, would it blow the rear hard top off at speed? It seemed awfully light weight.
I'm pretty sure Ford used a strong enough material and strong enough bolts to keep that from happening. :LOL:

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No, the rear shell of the hardtop is bolted down. Still quick to remove, but it’s pretty secure.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just wondering, does anybody know if the side windows on the hard top can be taken out? Is that what they mean by modular?
Im trying to figure out if there are two different types of hard top. Basic and Modular.

On Fords spec sheets:

The "Molded In Color Carbonized Gray" hard top, none of these are listed as "Modular".

But the tops which are "Body Color Painted or Shadow Black Painted" are stated as "Modular"

Im thinking the 2 dr Modular top has a sunroof over the rear seat area and side cargo panels that are removable. The 2 Dr basic top has just the removable section over the front seats and the cargo panels don't pop out.

I feel like Ive seen pics of different 2 dr hardtops, some WITH the sunroof panel over the rear and some WITHOUT.

But for the 4 door, it seems stupid that they would make some with removable side cargo windows and some without.

Sponsored

CascadianCorvid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally would love a single piece removable top. In the PNW, it's all or nothing; rain or shine. I'll leave it on stands in my garage when I want it off. I'd prefer that it didn't leak between the modular panels in the rain. (Hopefully there will be some after market gasket improvements like you can get for jeeps)

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

in one of the video / pics floating around they had just the front on a 4 door of the modular top on only which seemed pretty cool.
Correct. I've seen it with just the front, and with the front and rear.

I have not seen one with the front and middle (the panel over the second row on the 4 door) with no rear section. Not sure how much the middle section depends on connections to the other panels.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Reportedly yes. Not sure if we've seen photos of that combo, though.

CascadianCorvid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm actually really impressed with the variety of configurations we seem to be able to get just from the modular hard top and standard soft top.

From the photos and videos we've seen, we've got (at least):

Full soft top
Soft top - top only (rear window section removed)
Soft top - front folded back
Soft top - entire top folded back and stowed
Full hard top
Hard top - front panels removed
Hard top - front and middle panels removed (4 door)
Hard top - rear section removed and front panels remain
And of course, No top

While I haven't seen any pics, it's also been stated that the rear quarter windows can be removed in the hard top, so that adds a couple more configurations.

So just by picking the dual tops option with modular and soft, you're getting roughly 8-12 different possible configurations. (Or more, if you factor in that you can remove the driver and passenger panel separately.)
Ford Bronco Many Bronco Modular Top Configurations Shown So far 2021-bronco-offroading-rubicon-trail-1-jpe
Are those hard tops black or the molded in gray standard hard top? I think the gray looks good with a black bronco, but kind of weird on the other colors. (Well, I haven't seen it with carbonized gray.)

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the stock top that comes with all the trims a one piece or is it 3 pieces?
I haven't seen any hard tops that appear to be one piece.

Are those hard tops black or the molded in gray standard hard top? I think the gray looks good with a black bronco, but kind of weird on the other colors. (Well, I haven't seen it with carbonized gray.)
Right now, the only molded hard tops are listed as being gray. We have seen a couple of pics with some that appear to be black, but all of the recent stuff has been gray. Whether or not that makes sense with the other molded parts or not is a whole other discussion that keeps coming up.

Im trying to figure out if there are two different types of hard top. Basic and Modular.

On Fords spec sheets:

The "Molded In Color Carbonized Gray" hard top, none of these are listed as "Modular".

But the tops which are "Body Color Painted or Shadow Black Painted" are stated as "Modular"

Im thinking the 2 dr Modular top has a sunroof over the rear seat area and side cargo panels that are removable. The 2 Dr basic top has just the removable section over the front seats and the cargo panels don't pop out.

I feel like Ive seen pics of different 2 dr hardtops, some WITH the sunroof panel over the rear and some WITHOUT.

But for the 4 door, it seems stupid that they would make some with removable side cargo windows and some without.
Yeah, that part is a little confusing. It definitely appears there is a difference between the Molded-in-Color tops and the Modular ones.

Looks like all the recent photos and videos have been of the Molded tops (which are already pretty modular), and the list in the OP is based off of those. To me it looks like the Molded top actually consists of 5 pieces: front panel, middle panel (4 dr), rear panel w/ rear glass, and 2 rear quarter windows. (Assuming the rear quarter windows are removeable in the the Molded top - haven't seen pics yet.)

We know that at least one of the hard tops has separate driver and passenger roof panel, but the recent shots of the Molded top don't seem to show a seam there, so I'm thinking that's on the Modular top. We've haven't seen as much of that one recently (in either paint option) but we have seen photos that show an oval shaped panel in roughly the middle of the roof. Don't know if that is a sunroof or just a cover for some of the seams between the other panels.

And since we don't have any pics of the rear quarter windows removed, we also don't know if that is limited to the Molded top, the Modular top, or both.

Edit: Looking at the hard tops in the current version of the Colorizer, it looks like the driver/passenger panels are actually separate on both the Molded and Modular painted top. The oval shaped panel is visible above the second row in the 2 door, so that could be a sunroof. So not sure exactly what the difference is between the Molded and Modular painted tops in terms of configurations. Possibly the rear quarter windows.
Sponsored

Last edited: