FastNewton

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I built my Bronco, I was too cheap to splurge for the Lux package, so I stopped at High. But I knew I'd miss the convenience of the Homelink for the garage door, and I don't like the look of having an opener clipped to my visor. So my solution was to wire up my garage door opener directly to one of the upfitter switches. Overall, it's pretty straightforward but my first attempt was a fail, so thought I'd post what didn't work and what did.

What didn't work:

My initial plan was to open up the Genie remote and solder a jumper across the OPEN button so that it's "always pressed." Then, solder wires to the positive & negative ends of the circuit where the battery fits in the slot, and use the Aux switch to supply/remove power as needed. The remote uses a 3V coin battery, so I purchased a 12V to 3V converter to step the voltage down from the aux switch voltage to the remote supply voltage.

First step was to take the board out of my Genie remote so I could work with it. Here's a generic picture of what it looked like before. If you have the one-button instead of this 3-button, I think it still works the same for the purpose of what I did.
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch genie.JPG

Picture of the remote with the jumper soldered across the top button.
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch Button side.PNG

Battery slot with wires soldered to POS & NEG ends.
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch Battery side.PNG

The useless finished product in a weatherproof box. Sorry about the terrible images, making a how-to was an afterthought so these are all I had of the failed attempt.
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch Attempt 1 Photo.PNG

For me, this seemed like the easiest solution, but unfortunately didn't work. After much frustration, I came to the conclusion that if the button on the remote is already pressed when power is supplied, either the remote won't give the command to open/close or the receiver won't accept it. Whatever the reason, I never could get it to function with this setup. So on to Plan B..

What did work:
Instead of using the Aux switch to supply/remove power from the remote, I switched the design to have the Aux switch press/depress the OPEN button on the remote. I did this by soldering the push button to a circuit with a relay, and using the Aux switch to power the relay and complete the push button circuit on the remote. For powering the remote, I decided to just reinstall the coin battery for convenience. If it goes dead, I made it accessible enough to replace.

Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_2756

Works great so far! I flip the switch for a second then switch it back off. Same as pressing then releasing the opener button. I still don't have a great place for the box. Right now it's just zip tied under the hood near the fuse box on the driver side. Eventually I'll find a more permanent home for it. Just wanted to share if anyone else was thinking of trying this. Intuitively, I thought my first idea would have been the simpler fix, but I just never could get it to work correctly.

IMG_2756.jpg
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know a guy who notched out his motorcycle seat cushion to conceal his opener under the cover. I'm considering going that route instead.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I appreciate your work. I use an app on my phone to open my garage doors

Sponsored

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I built my Bronco, I was too cheap to splurge for the Lux package, so I stopped at High. But I knew I'd miss the convenience of the Homelink for the garage door, and I don't like the look of having an opener clipped to my visor. So my solution was to wire up my garage door opener directly to one of the upfitter switches. Overall, it's pretty straightforward but my first attempt was a fail, so thought I'd post what didn't work and what did.

What didn't work:

My initial plan was to open up the Genie remote and solder a jumper across the OPEN button so that it's "always pressed." Then, solder wires to the positive & negative ends of the circuit where the battery fits in the slot, and use the Aux switch to supply/remove power as needed. The remote uses a 3V coin battery, so I purchased a 12V to 3V converter to step the voltage down from the aux switch voltage to the remote supply voltage.

First step was to take the board out of my Genie remote so I could work with it. Here's a generic picture of what it looked like before. If you have the one-button instead of this 3-button, I think it still works the same for the purpose of what I did.

The useless finished product in a weatherproof box. Sorry about the terrible images, making a how-to was an afterthought so these are all I had of the failed attempt.

For me, this seemed like the easiest solution, but unfortunately didn't work. After much frustration, I came to the conclusion that if the button on the remote is already pressed when power is supplied, either the remote won't give the command to open/close or the receiver won't accept it. Whatever the reason, I never could get it to function with this setup. So on to Plan B..

What did work:
Instead of using the Aux switch to supply/remove power from the remote, I switched the design to have the Aux switch press/depress the OPEN button on the remote. I did this by soldering the push button to a circuit with a relay, and using the Aux switch to power the relay and complete the push button circuit on the remote. For powering the remote, I decided to just reinstall the coin battery for convenience. If it goes dead, I made it accessible enough to replace.

Works great so far! I flip the switch for a second then switch it back off. Same as pressing then releasing the opener button. I still don't have a great place for the box. Right now it's just zip tied under the hood near the fuse box on the driver side. Eventually I'll find a more permanent home for it. Just wanted to share if anyone else was thinking of trying this. Intuitively, I thought my first idea would have been the simpler fix, but I just never could get it to work correctly.

IMG_2756.jpg
I use voice control to open my garage door.

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone thinking about this Google "optoisolator"

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What didn't work:

What did work:

Pretty cool, i did this on my taco. I opted for double sided tape on the opener just under the cubby. Quick, easy. and done.... Yet not as "coolio" as yours. Nice work!

RClark82

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150, 2008 F150, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use voice control to open my garage door.
What system do you have? I have MyQ and my entire home is done with nest/Google home compatible products. I can close with voice, but it will not allow the door to open with voice "for security reasons"

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was no doubt looking for an excuse to use an aux switch :ROFLMAO:
haha I know. I forget mine are there because I don't use them. I want some 007 gadgets wired to them.

Sponsored

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like it. Well done!

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here I am just trying to figure out if I can just connect to my 15 yr old opener, and this dude is living in the future.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What didn't work:

What did work:

Can you add a parts list and wiring diagram to this thread?

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What system do you have? I have MyQ and my entire home is done with nest/Google home compatible products. I can close with voice, but it will not allow the door to open with voice "for security reasons"
I used this. It works with apple HomeKit. I have the myq also which works from an app but not voice. This is just like talking to Siri. I hold down talk button and say “open garage door”. It’s great ! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GG1H7TV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored