Sponsored

Ford Testing New Suspension for Performance Trucks?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wearing current-generation Raptor bodywork, wheels, and tires, this mule for the next-gen F-150 is also sporting significant rear suspension camouflage. Plainly obvious is the lack of rear leaf springs, which have been found under the Raptor since it was introduced for 2010. Instead, we see a Panhard bar and pivot bolt, suggesting, the 2021 F-150 (or at least the F-150 Raptor) will get a five-link rear suspension like its rival, the Ram 1500.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1909-spied-2021-ford-f-150-raptor-camouflaged-suspension-bits

2021-ford-f-150-raptor-exterior-disguised-rear-suspension-02.jpg

The rear of the Bronco mules have been heavily camouflaged, were they hiding something similar? The Watt's link that current gen Rangers and Everests use doesn't really seem to offer much articulation.

2016-Ford-Everest-Cutout-7-990x660.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 2019 Ranger example here starting at 7:11

Some of the disparity is attributed to a 'purposely flexible' frame on the Tacoma, and this level of rigidity might do well for a pickup meant to do work with heavy payloads and towing, but if a Bronco was sharing the Ranger configuration it wouldn't seem favorable for articulation.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 2019 Ranger example here starting at 7:11

Some of the disparity is attributed to a 'purposely flexible' frame on the Tacoma, and this level of rigidity might do well for a pickup meant to do work with heavy payloads and towing, but if a Bronco was sharing the Ranger configuration it wouldn't seem favorable for articulation.
I would rather have zero articulation in the frame, and have it all in the suspension. For a pickup, I don't mind less articulation as that lowers payload and towing. But on the Bronco, screw the payload, I want as much f'in travel as they can fit.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wearing current-generation Raptor bodywork, wheels, and tires, this mule for the next-gen F-150 is also sporting significant rear suspension camouflage. Plainly obvious is the lack of rear leaf springs, which have been found under the Raptor since it was introduced for 2010. Instead, we see a Panhard bar and pivot bolt, suggesting, the 2021 F-150 (or at least the F-150 Raptor) will get a five-link rear suspension like its rival, the Ram 1500.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1909-spied-2021-ford-f-150-raptor-camouflaged-suspension-bits

2021-ford-f-150-raptor-exterior-disguised-rear-suspension-02.jpg

The rear of the Bronco mules have been heavily camouflaged, were they hiding something similar? The Watt's link that current gen Rangers and Everests use doesn't really seem to offer much articulation.

2016-Ford-Everest-Cutout-7-990x660.jpg
Believe it or not, a watts link suspension can get a lot of flex. The limits on the Everest are the actual springs. The center pivot can be made longer, allowing higher ride height and overall travel. Rock crawling is more about individual wheel "droop" than overall travel of the entire axle. Google image search watts link articulation jeeps and you will see its entirely possible to get a lot of movement

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Geezus!! Talk about upskirt photography. I’m guessing that photographer carries a creeper at the ready and has grease under his nails. No photographer I know would ever get dirty to get the shot like that.. lol!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Geezus!! Talk about upskirt photography. I’m guessing that photographer carries a creeper at the ready and has grease under his nails. No photographer I know would ever get dirty to get the shot like that.. lol!
...Unless commissioned by Ford to take "leak" ;) shots...

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I though we've already seen the rear on the Bronco and it is either struts or coilovers / we couldn't see any coil springs (or leaf) under there.
This thread is from September 2019. We have seen the undercarriage of the Bronco since this was posted. ?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Believe it or not, a watts link suspension can get a lot of flex. The limits on the Everest are the actual springs. The center pivot can be made longer, allowing higher ride height and overall travel. Rock crawling is more about individual wheel "droop" than overall travel of the entire axle. Google image search watts link articulation jeeps and you will see its entirely possible to get a lot of movement
Another peek under the new coil sprung F150-Raptor. How much in common will the coil sprung rear of the BroncoBronco have?

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/next-generation-ford-f-150-raptor-suspension/#slide-2172347
Raptor.CoilSusp02.KGP_.jpg

Is the above Ford pic a set up of watts link or a Panhard.

Love this explanation of the Panhard.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is the above Ford pic a set up of watts link or a Panhard.

Love this explanation of the Panhard.
Looking at it I think that is a safe bet,
What would this mean for articulation purposes?
Sponsored