Sponsored

What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..)

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm gonna build a small bracket to put it under the dash so hopefully it won't be seen.
I have one remote installed in my subaru and my coiled cable seems to be the right length for plugging in into my console. I used the first cable I sniped in my earlier reply. You don'y even realize its there until you plug in the mic.

I don't know that it it would be long enough to plug in under my dash.

Check your cable length for what feels right before you drill any holes!!

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm waiting on my bronco so I won't find out for some time but unless I find out otherwise my plan is to run the antenna thru the grey sleeve with the tailgate wiring.

It will require remove and reattach of the antenna connector but that's OK. I think it's worth my effort to do it clean and invisible. Same with remote mounting the brain unit behind a panel.

It needs a RJ45 panel mount connector to wherever you want you mic plug in to be.

Like this,
1643076078485.png

Or this thing, and run your cat wire
1643076246216.png

I also picked up some RJ45 covers when I’m not using the mic extension. To keep dust out. Male end needed a coupler + cover.

CBBC6E53-C21E-4F74-88AC-BFCFFD0F7920.png

18621B42-6DB6-40CA-B1A9-6A103C0798F0.png

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm gonna build a small bracket to put it under the dash so hopefully it won't be seen.
There is also a small void in the panel by the steering column that can be explored..

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Skip the cheap Chinese junk and the overpriced Rugged Radios, etc and get a Kenwood TMV-71A. Do the MARS CAP mode and then you will have an amateur/FRS/GMRS radio of high quality.. Mine is programmed with all of the repeaters in the areas I ride as well as all Search and Rescue, Sheriff, etc in the areas.

Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Skip the cheap Chinese junk and the overpriced Rugged Radios, etc and get a Kenwood TMV-71A. Do the MARS CAP mode and then you will have an amateur/FRS/GMRS radio of high quality.. Mine is programmed with all of the repeaters in the areas I ride as well as all Search and Rescue, Sheriff, etc in the areas.
I just looked that up and it's $470.

My use is mainly for fun and my MXT257 complete kit was $130 when I bought it last year, AND it can be remote mounted.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you wheel alone and might need to depend upon the radio for communications, get a good one. Otherwise you need to at least carry a Satellite Messenger with you- like the Garmin Inreach

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm waiting on my bronco so I won't find out for some time but unless I find out otherwise my plan is to run the antenna thru the grey sleeve with the tailgate wiring.

It will require remove and reattach of the antenna connector but that's OK. I think it's worth my effort to do it clean and invisible. Same with remote mounting the brain unit behind a panel.

It needs a RJ45 panel mount connector to wherever you want you mic plug in to be.

Like this,
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 18621B42-6DB6-40CA-B1A9-6A103C0798F0

Or this thing, and run your cat wire
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 18621B42-6DB6-40CA-B1A9-6A103C0798F0
Be careful with some of those.. because (especially the Wouxon and Midlands) the Cat5 is wired straight thru.. or mostly with on set of pins crossed.... not standard ethernet/cat5 wiring

Sponsored

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True.. but technically, you cannot use GMRS/FRS frequencies on an amateur radio.... (just sayin....)

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Be careful with some of those.. because (especially the Wouxon and Midlands) the Cat5 is wired straight thru.. or mostly with on set of pins crossed.... not standard ethernet/cat5 wiring
I don't know about crossed pins but I tested mine before installing and it worked.

I would hope anyone using one of any connector tests it before cutting a hole in their bronco!

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi, did you take off that rear panel to run the antenna wire, and is there any room in there to remote mount the MXT275 unit?

Thanks!!

You got me motivated to work on it today. Fished the wire though no issues. I didn’t have to pull the entire panel off.

7D70B678-8E37-484C-9F2E-AD627C57EBAB.jpeg

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name