First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone taken apart the center console lid? I am wondering if there is a spring inside that I could either wind to put more preload on or replace with a stronger spring.

Anytime the vehicle is on a slight decline and I open my center console, it wants to fall down and shut again. On my other Ford vehicles the console lid stays up fairly strong. It's very annoying and I notice it most when I'm parked in my driveway, which I feel is a very slight decline.

In my wife's expedition we open the console to block the dog from jumping into the front seat. He will hop up there the second someone vacates the passenger or driver's seat. In my bronco he knocks it down just sniffing it.
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone taken apart the center console lid? I am wondering if there is a spring inside that I could either wind to put more preload on or replace with a stronger spring.

Anytime the vehicle is on a slight decline and I open my center console, it wants to fall down and shut again. On my other Ford vehicles the console lid stays up fairly strong. It's very annoying and I notice it most when I'm parked in my driveway, which I feel is a very slight decline.

In my wife's expedition we open the console to block the dog from jumping into the front seat. He will hop up there the second someone vacates the passenger or driver's seat. In my bronco he knocks it down just sniffing it.
Poor little guy calls shotgun and you block him - what's this world coming to?

Last edited:
OP
OP
IwannaGOfast

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Waverider

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
IwannaGOfast

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did take it apart and looked at the springs. I wasn’t able to wind them up more like I originally was hoping. Not sure how I can get more preload on them. May need to add a spacer on one of the arms so the unstrung spring starts to work sooner, if that makes sense. I haven’t had a chance to go back and look at it.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was just noticing how mine won’t stay open this morning. Don’t use it much but hadn’t noticed it before. Very annoying.

OP
OP
IwannaGOfast

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was just noticing how mine won’t stay open this morning. Don’t use it much but hadn’t noticed it before. Very annoying.
I was surprised when i originally started this thread the lack of responses. I thought for sure that there would be a lot more people annoyed by it.

Kk1340

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alot
Your Bronco Model
Base
How hard was it to remove the top. On my wife's manual she bangs her elbow into the top and she wants it gone. Thanks

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did take it apart and looked at the springs. I wasn’t able to wind them up more like I originally was hoping. Not sure how I can get more preload on them. May need to add a spacer on one of the arms so the unstrung spring starts to work sooner, if that makes sense. I haven’t had a chance to go back and look at it.
Maybe this is similar. Did this to my F-150 -

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/armrest-not-staying-up-in-open-position.4470/post-74302

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, I never noticed it before. Now it bugs me and I have to fix it 😐😐😐

Sponsored

JRock17

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ice Mountain 4dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree this is super annoying🤣🤣…..I get so aggravated when it falls down and slams into my arm and I in turn slam it back up so hard its gonna break off one day…..LOL

KozKnowz

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I took off the back plastic to add the rear cupholders, and after putting the back piece back on, I feel like the springs are worse than previously. I feel like something slipped out of place. Now, there is next to zero resistance. I'd love to know if anyone finds a solution!!

smmdmd

Badlands
First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi SQ5, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a thread somewhere on this site in which a guy took apart the center console lid and cut the spring which made the lid stay in the up position until he pushed it down. I'm trying to find the thread for you.

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a thread somewhere on this site in which a guy took apart the center console lid and cut the spring which made the lid stay in the up position until he pushed it down. I'm trying to find the thread for you.
hope you find it

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor & '21 4Runner TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Now we need gas hood struts for the center console lid.

I also agree. Very annoying when you try to get into the console.
Sponsored